Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSLA Cornerstone/Capstone Questions
Yes, I know I will get a clear picture once classes start. But here is my dilemma: Cornerstone and Info Lit start May 3rd and Capstone starts June 28th. I am moving in July with my family of six. I will be VERY busy. I would really love to do some preliminary work/research this month as ALL I have to complete my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Arts is those 3 classes. 

So my questions are for those who have taken those courses: 
-Is there any work I can do now
-Are there restrictions on what to write my 20-page Global Issue paper for Capstone or could be any issue work (I am hoping to write on the rights of childbearing women)? 

-Can the paper for Capstone take my Cornerstone Paper and expand it? Or do they have to be completely separate topics? 
-What other projects are there to complete (I know there are readings and discussions)?

Thanks!!
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
(04-07-2021, 03:29 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Yes, I know I will get a clear picture once classes start. But here is my dilemma: Cornerstone and Info Lit start May 3rd and Capstone starts June 28th. I am moving in July with my family of six. I will be VERY busy. I would really love to do some preliminary work/research this month as ALL I have to complete my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Arts is those 3 classes. 

-Are there restrictions on what to write my 20-page Global Issue paper for Capstone or could be any issue work (I am hoping to write on the rights of childbearing women)? 

-Can the paper for Capstone take my Cornerstone Paper and expand it? Or do they have to be completely separate topics? 
-What other projects are there to complete (I know there are readings and discussions)?

Thanks!!

Mark
(04-07-2021, 03:29 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Yes, I know I will get a clear picture once classes start. But here is my dilemma: Cornerstone and Info Lit start May 3rd and Capstone starts June 28th. I am moving in July with my family of six. I will be VERY busy. I would really love to do some preliminary work/research this month as ALL I have to complete my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Arts is those 3 classes. 

Thanks!!

Have you thought about just pushing the capstone back a term or two, until you're ready to take it?  That's what I would do.  I have a move coming up in June/July, and I have absolutely zero planned for that time because I know moving will take my entire focus for at least 2-3 weeks.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Thanks!!

Think of the cornerstone like a stripped-down English Comp course with some extra busywork.  There isn't that much serious writing in it.  You can't fail this course even if you tried, you are getting an A or B in this course PERIOD.

SOS-110 Guide
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience

The final paper for the cornerstone is about technology related to your field of interest so unlikely you can write about the topic you planned for the Capstone.  You aren't allowed to plagiarize yourself using works from other courses.

The issue you may find with prepping for the Capstone is finding the scholarly links which are available through TESU once your cornerstone begins.  You need to find a topic to "study", not just parrot back research you find on the topic.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-08-2021, 05:21 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Thanks!!

Think of the cornerstone like a stripped-down English Comp course with some extra busywork.  There isn't that much serious writing in it.  You can't fail this course even if you tried, you are getting an A or B in this course PERIOD.

SOS-110 Guide
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience

The final paper for the cornerstone is about technology related to your field of interest so unlikely you can write about the topic you planned for the Capstone.  You aren't allowed to plagiarize yourself using works from other courses.

The issue you may find with prepping for the Capstone is finding the scholarly links which are available through TESU once your cornerstone begins.  You need to find a topic to "study", not just parrot back research you find on the topic.

OP is doing Excelsior which has different expectations than TESU. I have no idea how the capstone or cornerstone works at EC, though I would guess that they're pretty similar at both schools.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-08-2021, 05:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote: OP is doing Excelsior which has different expectations than TESU. I have no idea how the capstone or cornerstone works at EC, though I would guess that they're pretty similar at both schools.

Oh, I was wondering what was up with "restrictions on what to write my 20-page Global Issue paper ", that explains it.

I usually just hit view today's posts and don't check what forum these posts are in.

I guess if you could find out assignments for the course ahead of time, you can prep, my 2 cents.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-08-2021, 01:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks!!

Have you thought about just pushing the capstone back a term or two, until you're ready to take it?  That's what I would do.  I have a move coming up in June/July, and I have absolutely zero planned for that time because I know moving will take my entire focus for at least 2-3 weeks.

No I can't push it back. I have until the end of Summer to complete my course or I have to pay an annual fee. I can't afford that.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Noone has taken these?

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
I am not an EC student so I don't know how any of this works. You have seen the sample syllabus, right? https://excelsior.campusconcourse.com/vi...e_id=40934

Since you're going to be moving, you may want to aim towards being allowed to extend the course if necessary.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-16-2021, 10:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I am not an EC student so I don't know how any of this works. You have seen the sample syllabus, right? https://excelsior.campusconcourse.com/vi...e_id=40934

Since you're going to be moving, you may want to aim towards being allowed to extend the course if necessary.

Yes I have seen the syllabus. It is vague, IMO. I was hoping for more direction from those who have done it before. Like if anything can be done to prep for the course and how long did it take each week?

I didn't think they allowed extensions.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 406 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  BSLA recommendations Shogun 5 606 10-16-2023, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Shogun
Smile EU - BSLA nick00106 46 5,949 10-03-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capstone with another course? GameSlinger 3 907 09-12-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Overwhelmed with info but excited to start my BA- just a few questions hexclep 12 1,338 08-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,737 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  IND 101 Cornerstone Refund NewStudent101 3 670 03-26-2023, 03:02 PM
  Excelsior capstone new2this 3 956 02-26-2023, 05:54 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree
  Psychology MAP course questions RhondaG 6 1,139 10-14-2022, 01:24 PM
  BALS (UMPI) vs. BSLA (Excelsior) lumina 17 2,369 08-29-2022, 01:14 PM
Last Post: lumina