Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSLA Cornerstone/Capstone Questions
Yes, I know I will get a clear picture once classes start. But here is my dilemma: Cornerstone and Info Lit start May 3rd and Capstone starts June 28th. I am moving in July with my family of six. I will be VERY busy. I would really love to do some preliminary work/research this month as ALL I have to complete my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Arts is those 3 classes. 

So my questions are for those who have taken those courses: 
-Is there any work I can do now
-Are there restrictions on what to write my 20-page Global Issue paper for Capstone or could be any issue work (I am hoping to write on the rights of childbearing women)? 

-Can the paper for Capstone take my Cornerstone Paper and expand it? Or do they have to be completely separate topics? 
-What other projects are there to complete (I know there are readings and discussions)?

Thanks!!
Me:
Need: 7 credits from Excelsior! (Intro Lit, Cornerstone, Capstone)
Currently Working On: 
Goal: BSLA at Excelsior by August 2021! 

My son Tor (13 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming 
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications
Currently Working on: Intro to Business (Sophia), Latin 1 (MCAU)
Goal: AS in Math at 17 years old
(04-07-2021, 03:29 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Yes, I know I will get a clear picture once classes start. But here is my dilemma: Cornerstone and Info Lit start May 3rd and Capstone starts June 28th. I am moving in July with my family of six. I will be VERY busy. I would really love to do some preliminary work/research this month as ALL I have to complete my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Arts is those 3 classes. 

-Are there restrictions on what to write my 20-page Global Issue paper for Capstone or could be any issue work (I am hoping to write on the rights of childbearing women)? 

-Can the paper for Capstone take my Cornerstone Paper and expand it? Or do they have to be completely separate topics? 
-What other projects are there to complete (I know there are readings and discussions)?

Thanks!!

Mark
(04-07-2021, 03:29 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Yes, I know I will get a clear picture once classes start. But here is my dilemma: Cornerstone and Info Lit start May 3rd and Capstone starts June 28th. I am moving in July with my family of six. I will be VERY busy. I would really love to do some preliminary work/research this month as ALL I have to complete my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Arts is those 3 classes. 

Thanks!!

Have you thought about just pushing the capstone back a term or two, until you're ready to take it?  That's what I would do.  I have a move coming up in June/July, and I have absolutely zero planned for that time because I know moving will take my entire focus for at least 2-3 weeks.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Thanks!!

Think of the cornerstone like a stripped-down English Comp course with some extra busywork.  There isn't that much serious writing in it.  You can't fail this course even if you tried, you are getting an A or B in this course PERIOD.

SOS-110 Guide
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience

The final paper for the cornerstone is about technology related to your field of interest so unlikely you can write about the topic you planned for the Capstone.  You aren't allowed to plagiarize yourself using works from other courses.

The issue you may find with prepping for the Capstone is finding the scholarly links which are available through TESU once your cornerstone begins.  You need to find a topic to "study", not just parrot back research you find on the topic.
Course Experience:
Modernstates.org/CLEP, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org,  Sophia.org, Study.com, Instantcertcredit, Csmlearn.com, Theinstitutes.org, and TEL Learning

Degree Plan:
Bachelors of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in CIS
Bachelors of Arts in Computer Science  (100+ credits working on capstone)

120+ credits earned with expected graduation June 2021.
(04-08-2021, 05:21 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Thanks!!

Think of the cornerstone like a stripped-down English Comp course with some extra busywork.  There isn't that much serious writing in it.  You can't fail this course even if you tried, you are getting an A or B in this course PERIOD.

SOS-110 Guide
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience

The final paper for the cornerstone is about technology related to your field of interest so unlikely you can write about the topic you planned for the Capstone.  You aren't allowed to plagiarize yourself using works from other courses.

The issue you may find with prepping for the Capstone is finding the scholarly links which are available through TESU once your cornerstone begins.  You need to find a topic to "study", not just parrot back research you find on the topic.

OP is doing Excelsior which has different expectations than TESU. I have no idea how the capstone or cornerstone works at EC, though I would guess that they're pretty similar at both schools.
In progress:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Sophia (30 courses), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(04-08-2021, 05:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote: OP is doing Excelsior which has different expectations than TESU. I have no idea how the capstone or cornerstone works at EC, though I would guess that they're pretty similar at both schools.

Oh, I was wondering what was up with "restrictions on what to write my 20-page Global Issue paper ", that explains it.

I usually just hit view today's posts and don't check what forum these posts are in.

I guess if you could find out assignments for the course ahead of time, you can prep, my 2 cents.
Course Experience:
Modernstates.org/CLEP, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org,  Sophia.org, Study.com, Instantcertcredit, Csmlearn.com, Theinstitutes.org, and TEL Learning

Degree Plan:
Bachelors of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in CIS
Bachelors of Arts in Computer Science  (100+ credits working on capstone)

120+ credits earned with expected graduation June 2021.
(04-08-2021, 01:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks!!

Have you thought about just pushing the capstone back a term or two, until you're ready to take it?  That's what I would do.  I have a move coming up in June/July, and I have absolutely zero planned for that time because I know moving will take my entire focus for at least 2-3 weeks.

No I can't push it back. I have until the end of Summer to complete my course or I have to pay an annual fee. I can't afford that.
Me:
Need: 7 credits from Excelsior! (Intro Lit, Cornerstone, Capstone)
Currently Working On: 
Goal: BSLA at Excelsior by August 2021! 

My son Tor (13 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming 
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications
Currently Working on: Intro to Business (Sophia), Latin 1 (MCAU)
Goal: AS in Math at 17 years old

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want to change my BALA to BSLA,HELP! qiaoyiren 5 216 03-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Does anyone know what the Capstone of excelsior college is? qiaoyiren 4 383 01-25-2021, 08:34 PM
Last Post: qiaoyiren
  ECE BSLA Capstone ninod 4 500 04-30-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: ninod
  Excelsior History Degree Questions jaxonhart 2 549 04-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capstone Written Communication Assessment plasticbottle 1 384 01-22-2020, 08:57 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Excelsior Degree Plan - questions on UL credit sources EducationSeeker 15 2,531 08-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ddillenberger
  Excelsior Liberal Arts Capstone Ssorck 4 907 08-12-2019, 04:58 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 TheMaskedMutant 20 2,771 08-12-2019, 12:23 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  A few questions about Excelsior (cornerstone) and math SweetsugarNL 0 467 07-26-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Excelsior Capstone Requirements EWCTest 3 836 06-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant