Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Calculus
desuu Wrote:Woooo! Passed the Precalculus CLEP with a nice 66. It was a pretty easy exam, especially if you've got functions and trig identities down. Everything else on the exam seemed like Algebra II review.

Major thanks to Levi_1989 and auburngal_india for all the help and support.

Congrats! That's a great score. Glad I could help ya. Now - good luck on the Calc CLEP! I plan on taking that soon after I take English Lit (this Thursday or Friday). Then I get to take Calc II as an online summer class! WAHOO!!! lol

India
''Dance is the hidden language of the soul.'' -Martha Graham

''There is no sight more appealing than the sight of a woman making dinner for someone she loves.'' -Thomas Wolfe

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him would not perish but have everlasting life. -John 3:16
Hey, InstantCert friends,

I'm back and ready to take the calculus clep!

I will start studying for the test after this semester is over, so I should have a full month of study. I will also be studying for the French CLEP, History II CLEP, and preparing for my upcoming courses. I doubt I will be able to learn enough French in a month to get a 62 (enough for 2 years at my University), but it'll be worth a shot. I have plenty of time to take it again.

Anyway, my plan of study will consist of what I was originally doing:
Math Tutor DVD - Calculus
REA's calculus book

Also, has anybody used Finish College Fast's calculus prep guide?

Again, if there are any new people to this thread (or if anybody has taken the test), feel free to share you experience and helpful material and links.

It's good to be back! Big Grin
Completed CLEP Exams:
[COLOR="Red"]Chemistry: 62
Precalculus: 66
[/COLOR]
Planned CLEP Exams:
French
Welcome back!

I posted this in another thread and thought I should add it here, too.

A person at my testing center passed the Calculus CLEP last month. Since I am planning to take this in the future, I asked what they used to study. They recommended the book "Calculus for Dummies":

Calculus For Dummies:Book Information - For Dummies

I noticed that they also have a workbook:

Calculus Workbook For Dummies:Book Information - For Dummies

Best wishes on your exams! You are paving the way for me. I am looking forward to your results. I would really appreciate it, if you would leave feedback on your resource materials.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has taken the Calc CLEP recently. I passed the Algebra CLEP a while ago, and I'm currently studying for the Calculus CLEP.

I have quite a few books, but Calc for Dummies and the Calc for Dummies workbook seem to be the best. I'm also using the REA guide.

For those who have the REA guide, how similar were the practice exams to the actual test? I plan on taking this CLEP in about a month, and I haven't even started on integration yet (I'm about to finish up on differentiation).

Thank you.
I passed CLEP Calculus summer 2009 roughly before the school year began so that I did not have to take Calculus class.

I actually had calculus in high school already but it was one year ago and I did not do calculus very well, so I almost forgot everything. I studied the AP Calculus Barron's book 6th edition and a college calculus textbook. But most of the time I used AP book because it has more practice questions and quite close to the CLEP exam, the college textbook for formulas and explanation reference because in order to remember a formulas, I had to understand why. I would suggest you read the explanation to understand why and how you get the formulas and practice [SIZE="4"]a lot[/SIZE] and [SIZE="4"]a lot[/SIZE]. That's the only way that works for maths. If you're doing the problems and get stuck, don't hesitate to see the answers and do it again 'cuz we take the CLEP to save both money and time. If you read the answer and do the problem again but still don't understand, then just skip it and go on with other problems. CLEP Calculus is not tricky and extremely difficult because they have to test a lot of calculus knowledge with only 45 questions in 90 minutes. What they test you just to make sure you understand and can use calculus formulas. Again, this doesn't mean the test is easy since calculus itself does require work. In addition, there's really not enough time and people for you to ask around to understand the minor details. If you do really want to study calculus deeply, simply take a class.

I did not have much time to study for the test because I was working during the summer, and English is not my native language, so I had some difficulty understanding the questions. I crammed for the test for 5 days and then I took the test. My score is not high though, just slightly enough to pass the test.

Good luck with any of you who plan to take the CLEP Calculus.
My 16 yo daughter passed the Calculus CLEP. She used Thinkwell Calculus as a course of study.

Shawn
Hey that's great! My American classmate got into college at 16. It's so great students here can finish everything early.

You know what, tell your daughter to finish college as soon as possible. The longer you stay in college the more you have to spend and lose.

If later I have kids, I will encourage them to finish college as soon as possible. it's so wasteful to spend the first 22 years of life in academic schools where you learn only to work for other people.

Degrees do help though but it's better to finish soon and I think American high school system is quite flexible because it allows students to finish soon according to their ability not like the one in my country.

Yup, and colleges here are flexible too 'cuz I'm allowed to take tests for credits, so I can finish college less than 4 years.
It's good to have found a thread like this on Google. I haven't found much information or advice from people who have taken this test on the Internet at all.

I've got tons and tons of resources. I'm particularly fond of the Math Tutor (Calculus) that was suggested in this thread, which I bought. I have learned from his lectures and don't get too bored of watching his videos. I've seen some books mentioned here, which I've went out and bought as well.

After Christmas I went and bought the Calculus for Dummies set w/included workbook and the Humongous Book of Calculus Problems. I skipped most of the preliminary stuff because last semester I had taken college Pre-Calculus and Trigonometry courses. I've gotten along somewhat with the derivatives section because it's mostly just reading and not doing. The concepts seem simple enough. I haven't gone through the workbook yet.

I learned limits from Thomas and Finney's 9th Edition Calculus. It taught you about delta-epsilon as well, which I've mastered. Today I ordered online REA's CLEP Calculus and Barron's AP Calculus (2008) for problems and a way to condense what I learn so what I actually learn is for the test. I have tons of Calculus books. I just don't know exactly if I'm learning all I should. I'm on a schedule where I study 8 hours a day of Calculus, so that I can prepare well for the examination. I've never taken Calculus before at the high school level, so I've been learning these concepts for the first time. It's not too hard to get along. I've briefly touched integration right now in the Math Calculus Tutor's DVD's, but I'm still wanting to keep working on derivatives until I feel as if I've mastered them.
Feynman Wrote:It's good to have found a thread like this on Google. I haven't found much information or advice from people who have taken this test on the Internet at all.

I've got tons and tons of resources. I'm particularly fond of the Math Tutor (Calculus) that was suggested in this thread, which I bought. I have learned from his lectures and don't get too bored of watching his videos. I've seen some books mentioned here, which I've went out and bought as well.

After Christmas I went and bought the Calculus for Dummies set w/included workbook and the Humongous Book of Calculus Problems. I skipped most of the preliminary stuff because last semester I had taken college Pre-Calculus and Trigonometry courses. I've gotten along somewhat with the derivatives section because it's mostly just reading and not doing. The concepts seem simple enough. I haven't gone through the workbook

I learned limits from Thomas and Finney's 9th Edition Calculus. It taught you about delta-epsilon as well, which I've mastered. Today I ordered online REA's CLEP Calculus and Barron's AP Calculus (2008) for problems and a way to condense what I learn so what I actually learn is for the test. I have tons of Calculus books. I just don't know exactly if I'm learning all I should. I'm on a schedule where I study 8 hours a day of Calculus, so that I can prepare well for the examination. I've never taken Calculus before at the high school level, so I've been learning these concepts for the first time. It's not too hard to get along. I've briefly touched integration right now in the Math Calculus Tutor's DVD's, but I'm still wanting to keep working on derivatives until I feel as if I've mastered them.

According to my daughter - the College Board breakdown of the percentage of questions on each topic was accurate - so you need to have a good understanding of intergration for the exam.

For the record, she scored a 60.
Smile

I'll be sure to understand Integration by the end of this month. I'm learning about u-substitution right now.

I'm just curious though...what about the non-routine problems of the exam? Can anyone tell me about that? Is it just word problems that we have to apply the concepts we've learned to or what? Most of what I've gone through at this point has basically been straight up problem solving with the exception of related rates. That part still needs some work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 21 3,738 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,623 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,208 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,092 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,257 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser