Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Accepting few SDC credits
I guess in a lot of ways there is no Big 3 anymore. Every school has their pros and cons, so they all must be weighed to determine what will work best for each of us. However, COSC has probably moved to the bottom of the list for most people, even below PUG.
I'm only working on my COSC degree because I've been thinking about COSC for a long time and I had a last-minute opportunity to transfer in UL SDC credits just before the window closed. Otherwise, I don't see how I would have done a COSC degree without spending way too much time and money.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(08-13-2022, 08:51 AM)scottlefoll Wrote: I don't think that COSC belongs in the "Big Three" any longer. For example, with regards to SDC they are down to a total of 50 courses that they will even accept for credit, and it's pretty much a guaranty that all of those will be strategically "Lower Level."

The Big 3 will take 113/114 credits of transfer. This does NOT mean they'll take 113/114 credits of transfer of ACE, but that you only have to take 2(3) courses at that school.  It also does not mean that they won't be a pain in the butt, give wrong answers regularly, or anything else - it's JUST that they will take 94%/95% transfer. Oh yeah, and it doesn't mean that every degree they offer will be feasible - there are plenty that require specific courses that can't be found inexpensively, which may make the degree way too expensive to take there.

I like to refer to any school that will accept 75% transfer, and ACE credit, as a High Credit Transfer (HCT) school.  A category all it's own.  

UMPI will never be in that Big 3 category; neither will WGU, or any other school that requires at least 25%/30cr to be taken there.  That does not mean that they're not a good option, or that they won't become a popular option, just that they will never be in the Big 3 category because they're not the same.

There are reasons to choose one of the Big 3, and just as many reasons NOT to choose them.  It just depends on your situation.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • jch, Jonathan Whatley, origamishuttle
dfrecore Wrote:The Big 3 will take 113/114 credits of transfer. This does NOT mean they'll take 113/114 credits of transfer of ACE, but that you only have to take 2(3) courses at that school.  It also does not mean that they won't be a pain in the butt, give wrong answers regularly, or anything else - it's JUST that they will take 94%/95% transfer. Oh yeah, and it doesn't mean that every degree they offer will be feasible - there are plenty that require specific courses that can't be found inexpensively, which may make the degree way too expensive to take there.

I like to refer to any school that will accept 75% transfer, and ACE credit, as a High Credit Transfer (HCT) school.  A category all it's own.  

UMPI will never be in that Big 3 category; neither will WGU, or any other school that requires at least 25%/30cr to be taken there.  That does not mean that they're not a good option, or that they won't become a popular option, just that they will never be in the Big 3 category because they're not the same.

There are reasons to choose one of the Big 3, and just as many reasons NOT to choose them.  It just depends on your situation.

THIS. The Big 3 has been termed this way because of max transfers, there are no other schools that will allow 113/114 transfer credit. Many other schools exist that allow a transfer of 75% or about 90 credits, even up to 102 credits but will cost more in the end... Yes! The scenario or situation a person is in will determine if they're suitable for competency based degrees versus the Big 3 transfer credit options due to commitments, life happens, whatever it may be...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, origamishuttle
(08-13-2022, 08:51 AM)scottlefoll Wrote: I don't think that COSC belongs in the "Big Three" any longer. For example, with regards to SDC they are down to a total of 50 courses that they will even accept for credit, and it's pretty much a guaranty that all of those will be strategically "Lower Level."

Ya, they are down to 50 now for Study.com

https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

COSC will no longer be recommended on DegreeForum for new students or for those with a low amount of transfer credit.

We have moved on from the original Big 3 and now have CBE Big 3 and other colleges we recommend

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-CBE-Big-3
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
On the one hand, when I was doing my Bachelor's there wasn't alt-credit like SDC or Sophia, there was only credit by examination (CLEP, DSST, and so forth). So from my perspective it's still a lot more flexible to earn a degree from Charter Oak than it was when I did it.

On the other hand, I understand why people would go with their own path of least resistance, and why that path is not Charter Oak for more and more people in this community.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(08-22-2022, 10:14 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote: On the one hand, when I was doing my Bachelor's there wasn't alt-credit like SDC or Sophia, there was only credit by examination (CLEP, DSST, and so forth). So from my perspective it's still a lot more flexible to earn a degree from Charter Oak than it was when I did it.

On the other hand, I understand why people would go with their own path of least resistance, and why that path is not Charter Oak for more and more people in this community.

That's back when you could take the GRE subject exams for UL credit, right? And I think a couple of DSSTs were UL? COSC has kind of eliminated almost all ways of getting UL credit except for taking classes directly from them. So... I'm not sure it's all that flexible now.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
It was also before capstones and cornerstones.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • rachel83az
It's true about Capstone and Cornerstone being required now and not then. Then again, where is not that not the case these days?

I didn't take a GRE Subject Exam, as there wasn't one for my concentration. I get the sense that while that was an option in those days, few took them up on it. There weren't some UL exams from ECE and TECEP, but I took courses. A few were from Charter Oak, others weren't. Even then Charter Oak's tuition rates weren't competitive, so I took as few of their courses as possible.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
It's cool to see you here, Steve. I remember when my father was leaning towards attending the University of the Cumberlands for his doctorate; he would enjoy reading your updates on the sister site. I updated him that you had moved on to Baker College. Hopefully, all is going well for you.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
I started a degree at COSC about 5 years ago and got side tracked into some other stuff at other schools. I went back this week to see what I lacked for finishing it and they don't take anything I was planning on transferring from Study.com anymore. lol oh well.

Sad in a way but I will just move on to WGU or something
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,678 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,283 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,161 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Does Cosc waive GE for second degrees or needs to be met? Kab 7 1,536 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kab