Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC to TESC
Yeah, just went through a dozen or so linked in contacts. I only looked at people who had jobs in emergency management, overwhelmingly canted towards business because emergency management is......management!!! If I find one with a degree in EM I'll let you know. Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Ran through 50 or so, there was one guy who's BA was in Org Leadership but he did have a MS in Logistics with what he termed an "emphases on disaster supply chain" or some such.

I tried calling Auburn too, no luck there on the first pass, but that doesn't surprise me. I wish TESC or COSC would evaluate a program like that for credit...maybe it could be completed as a life experience or something. I don't know, probably another dead end.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
J_T Wrote:Thanks for all the input!!! My goal is to enter the field of emergency management after I graduate... so I don't think public safety or criminal justice would be a good fit. I might be wrong, but I think public safety and criminal justice tend to be focused on law enforcement.

Actually, the Public Safety Administration program at COSC is structured very much like an Emergency Management program. Check out the course list:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Requirements[/TD]
[TD]Credits[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Ethics in Public Safety[/TD]
[TD="width: 145"]3 credits[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Human and Community Service Delivery[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Cultural Diversity in Public Safety[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Group Dynamics[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Human Resources in Public Safety[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]America's Homeland Security[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Political and Legal Systems for the Public Safety Professional[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Counteracting Terrorism[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Research Methodology in Public Safety[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Strategic Planning in Public Safety[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Global Perspectives on Emergency Management[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]Capstone: Leadership in Public Safety[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 493"]TOTAL[/TD]
[TD="width: 145"]36[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

http://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/pr...ration.cfm
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Thanks publius! I had missed that. You are right, it doesn't look too different from the courses TESC offers for its BS in HS & EM. The only problem is that I would need to take more courses than at TESC. At COSC I would need to take at least 36 credits versus 24 credits at TESC. It might not make too much difference moneywise since I would qualify for in-state tuition at COSC... but it would take longer for me to complete the degree at COSC since I would be taking more courses. But I'll think about it.

Rebel, thanks for all the helpful input and info you gave me! The list with all the EM programs is really handy. The Auburn program looks interesting but I'd be worried about spending time and money on a program that may or may not be accepted for college credit. Even if someone at COSC gave me the green-light, I would still be worried. I just don't trust people... I've been burned too many times. I've had my share of problems with COSC and other schools in the past. I think the safest bet for me would be TESC. It is affordable, I would only need 24 credits, and they are recognized by FEMA as an accredited EM program.
COSC A.S. :coolgleam:

COSC (3 cr): Cornerstone (In progress)

SL (57 cr): English Comp. I & II - Intro to Communications - Business Ethics - U.S. History I & II - Western Civ. I & II - Cultural Anthropology - Sociology - Biology w/Lab - Chemistry w/Lab - College Algebra - Microbiology w/ Lab - Intro to Business - Macroeconomics - Intro to Religion - American Gov.

Penn Foster (3 cr): Art Appreciation
J_T Wrote:Thanks publius! I had missed that. You are right, it doesn't look too different from the courses TESC offers for its BS in HS & EM. The only problem is that I would need to take more courses than at TESC. At COSC I would need to take at least 36 credits versus 24 credits at TESC. It might not make too much difference moneywise since I would qualify for in-state tuition at COSC... but it would take longer for me to complete the degree at COSC since I would be taking more courses. But I'll think about it.

Rebel, thanks for all the helpful input and info you gave me! The list with all the EM programs is really handy. The Auburn program looks interesting but I'd be worried about spending time and money on a program that may or may not be accepted for college credit. Even if someone at COSC gave me the green-light, I would still be worried. I just don't trust people... I've been burned too many times. I've had my share of problems with COSC and other schools in the past. I think the safest bet for me would be TESC. It is affordable, I would only need 24 credits, and they are recognized by FEMA as an accredited EM program.

Yeah if you're that close, TESC might be a good option. You would also avoid having to re-take the cornerstone.

Good luck!
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
(02-28-2014, 11:32 AM)rebel100 Wrote: Have you scoured the FEMA list for a school? The College List

I am particularly curious about the offering from Auburn University.  The courses are only $400 each, taught in a 4 week format the rub is this:

"Credit Participants will be awarded CEUs and certificates for successfully completed courses and will receive program certification after successful completion of the series. Students interested in academic credit should contact their department."  

So it is taught and offered as a CEU format, yet it indicates that there is a possibility of receiving academic credit...if this has been done there is a very good chance one could convince TESC or COSC to accept them, for about $4000 you could potentially knock out the UL courses required for a Bachelors.  http://www.auburn.edu/outreach/cgs/train...erview.htm

Not saying it would work, just that if it could be it would be quite a find.

rebel100

Did you take any of the Auburn University $400 emergency management CEU courses?  How are they?  Length?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Wow resurrecting such an old thread. I doubt some of these users are still here.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-02-2018, 06:22 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Wow resurrecting such an old thread. I doubt some of these users are still here.

I was only hoping to see if rebel100 took these courses.  If he is still a super moderator he still should be on?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Certainly enough time to have completed them  Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(12-02-2018, 06:25 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 06:22 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Wow resurrecting such an old thread. I doubt some of these users are still here.

I was only hoping to see if rebel100 took these courses.  If he is still a super moderator he still should be on?

He's busy with his new job and isn't on much anymore. He pops on now and then to say Hi (most recently last April) but technically isn't an active moderator anymore. The only active moderators right now are Shotojuku and myself. Though it would be nice to see rebel100 come back and be more active again. He was one of the first folks to befriend me on this forum when I first joined back in 2011.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,607 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 968 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU, EC, COSC: Quickest & Cheapest? ISKBizz15 6 1,922 11-17-2020, 05:26 PM
  Colleges besides TESU, COSC, Excelsior, WGU that accept ACE alab21 23 6,099 06-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Last Post: amberwalk
  COSC, TESU, Excelsior Business Capstone Comparison Acam10 0 1,010 05-12-2020, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Acam10
  Big 3 Timeline (EC, TESU, COSC) Life Long Learning 14 3,565 06-09-2019, 11:43 PM
  EC/COSC - will they take NA credits? dfrecore 20 3,335 06-05-2019, 05:04 PM
  Possible Double Major - COSC or TESU? Kylana 4 1,316 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
  1st degree at TESU... 2nd at COSC? fingerscrossedx2 5 1,867 04-26-2019, 12:34 AM
  COSC/EC - UL requirements dfrecore 2 1,124 04-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone