Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSMLearn "High Performance" (Quantitative Reasoning) Review
Hi all, 
I've noticed that CSMLearn's "High Performance Course" hasn't been mentioned much here, but having completed it today, I thought I'd give some information from my experience. 

First, it should be noted that the ACE credit recommendation for the course is "3 semester hours of quantitative reasoning credit at the lower division baccalaureate level." I'm intending to complete a BALS at TESU and hoping that this will fulfill the quantitative literacy component for that degree, however, this hasn't been confirmed yet. CSMLearn has made some formal articulation agreements with COSU, WGU, SNHU, and CSU though.

The course costs $39, and you have the option of paying an additional $6 for a framed certificate to be mailed to you upon completion. They do offer, as of the time of this writing, a free trial consisting of 2 hours, or 20% of the course. After that, you have to pay the $39 to finish the course, and if you're looking to receive the certificate/credit, you will need to go through their biorecognition process to confirm your identity (and it could take up to three business days for that to be verified). 

As far as content goes, this wasn't an easy course. I've finished quite a few SL courses in a single day, but it wasn't possible with the CSMLearn program (for me anyway). It took me about ten solid hours to finish the 34 modules of the course. For each module, you work through a system of "belts," yellow, red, and black. To finish the course you have to achieve "black belt competency" in each module, which is to say you have to answer 100% of the questions correctly on the first try, or be awarded a lower belt level, and return to the material later. 

I was surprised that while quantitative literacy was assuredly the core of the program, it dabbled in other areas, such as proofreading, and using schedules. 

The course actually is quite intuitive, and the difficulty of questions builds with your proficiency in the module of a particular topic. I've seen other courses (ALEKS for instance) try to offer something similar, but CSMLearn has really refined this technology. 

Overall, I highly recommend the course. It is an accessible way for those of us not terribly skilled in math to gain some skills, and earn appropriate credit in a self-paced environment, and if nothing else you will learn some degree of perseverance in moving through the course, as some modules can be quite tedious and focused on minutia that is not readily apparent. I would rate the course as 8/10. I'm happy to answer any questions.
[-] The following 4 users Like DeanLewis's post:
  • CSMlearn, mudball, Oulton1, suzycupcake
I’m working through it now. Every few days I’ll do a few modules. It can be very tedious and the 3 credits don’t do a lot for you at COSC. It won’t satisfy a math requirement or anything, but $39 is super cheap for 3 credits.

I do think the comparison to ALEKS is apt. A lot of what ALEKS tries to do, CSM is doing better, they just don’t have the same range of credits.

I was pleasantly surprised by the breadth of information tested. I feel like they are following through on their promise to provide a credential that is useful for all employees/students/people. I definitely feel like this is good, useful information everyone should know, and they don’t just give it to you. You have to put in the work.

I’m curious to see what others think about it. Not sure the certificate will help my LinkedIn profile, but it can’t hurt. And I enjoy collecting things like that. FEMA PDS comes to mind. I’d actually like to start a thread soon on cheap accessible credentials like CMS or FEMA that are open to anyone and fairly cheap.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • suzycupcake
I see their website says that the course is free. Am I missing something?
You are thinking too much about free... the review was pretty clear on pricing. This is well worth $39 for 3 credits.
The CSMLearn+ courses are free after you complete the certification if you would like to get some extra training.
Here is an older post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...for-39-ACE Link: There company website. https://www.csmlearn.com/services
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • basicunitoflife
I can't find it now but I do recall seeing a page that said the CSM course and/or credential was free. It was certainly confusing because I had already bought and finished the course.

Most of my thoughts are on the original thread that bjcheung77 linked to but I thought I'd touch on the "High Performance" certificate/credential. I do think the subjects tested/taught are important and many workplaces/colleges could benefit from people with that knowledge. I like the common sense skills it teaches but I particularly like the attention to detail it demands. I like the persistence it requires if one doesn't get it right on the first try(incentive to get it right the first time). It would certainly be a useful way to test ones readiness for/prepare for college, trade/vocational school or an entry level job. I can even see an instance where they may adapt the program slightly to include more trade specific skills for a particular vocational program.

Will being certified in "High Performance" help anyone get a job? Not sure. I think that if one acquired a degree to get their job, it will be of minimal benefit(in the employer's eye), but for other jobs that don't require a degree, the credential could set one apart even if just as a "go-getter". For sure I think it's helpful on an individual level, but a hiring manager can only see value in what they know or what you can sell them on. Either way, I think it's a great value course/credential to get.

I've already told them a few times that I really like their platform/pedagogy and think it would be great to continue to use it to develop more courses teaching more advanced concepts in the math/logic field(for ace recommended credit of course), but one area I think that could be really beneficial to the CSM team and the client would be if they partnered with the military and/or other government organizations. Either directly using the exact course or adapting it to the specific needs of the branch could be a great idea. It could be implemented in DEP, boot camp or as continuing education through the branch's online training platform. I know that many branches value adding more training, courses and certs to ones record when eval and promotion time comes around. Being computer based, already developed and tested for efficacy and already priced reasonably, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. If I were them, that'd be a contract I would like to land.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Can I apply the CSM quantitative reasoning credits to my evaluation, if I already have taken a College Algebra course? No duplication of topics?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(02-21-2019, 10:08 AM)Supermind Wrote: Can I apply the CSM quantitative reasoning credits to my evaluation, if I already have taken a College Algebra course? No duplication of topics?

It doesn't duplicate with algebra. We are not yet sure exactly what it will transfer to TESU as but it shouldn't duplicate algebra. It would be a cheap 3 credits to gen Ed or free electives which I recall you were looking for.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
Yes. Thank you. And what are the math topics being covered in this course?

Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 

(02-21-2019, 10:16 AM)Supermind Wrote: Yes. Thank you. And what are the math topics being covered in this course?
From the ace recommendation page:

Quote:key quantitative skills such as mental math, basic statistical concepts, measurement, and more; appraise information from a variety of forms of complex informational text and graphs; analyze problems using a variety of advanced problem-solving strategies; develop new skills independently through reading; and develop and formulate strategies to solve quantitative problems, including quantitative reasoning and problem-solving.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
Great! Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,490 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  study.com Final Exam Review Leo Wu 4 699 05-30-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Finnish courses review Personherebb9 2 967 12-30-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  New Straighterline course: Quantitative Reasoning MNomadic 2 939 06-25-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study.com under review at TESU Blckbuster 24 3,202 03-13-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Udacity: Data Analyst NanoDegree review/material Seraphgrim 8 2,088 02-24-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Seraphgrim
  Study.com Data Structures Review armstrongsubero 17 4,239 03-27-2021, 12:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation CSMlearn ACE lapsed jch 3 852 03-04-2021, 05:47 AM
Last Post: jch
  Please review straighterline calculus for me!! Bigshay 11 5,712 12-23-2020, 01:55 AM
Last Post: rachel83az