Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarkson University MS and PhD in Computer Science
This topic has really two subtopics: (1) MS in Computer Science (2) PhD in Computer Science. Here is my take:

1. MS Computer Science (Distance/Online)
Unless you're getting reimbursed by your employer I think it's not worth it. There are better distance MSCS options out there. UT Austin as already mentioned is only $10k for the entire MSCS degree. Another would be Georgia Tech. I don't know of any other top 20ish type schools that have cheap options. But if you have money to burn (Paypal me the money instead), or if your employer reimburses you, there are more recognized schools like Johns Hopkins, or USC.

2. PhD in Computer Science (Distance/Online)
I have been in the tech industry for a couple of decades, and I have come across engineering graduates from Clarkson and I'm on the West Coast. They were all good, so I would say although Clarkson may not be as well-known as USC or NYU, for example, I would argue that it's not a no-name school. This is where it gets interesting. Firstly, I would say, comparing Ph.D. from UT Austin vs Clarkson, Austin obviously wins. However, Austin doesn't offer a CS Ph.D. at a distance, so it's not a valid comparison. These are the schools that offer Ph.D in CS which can be completed online as far as I know and which I have ranked from best to worst (My rankings):

Schools listed: Mississippi State, Florida Atlantic, University of North Dakota, Clarkson, Nova Southeastern, Capitol Tech, Northcentral

Rank | School   |Tuition |Units |Total | Comments
     |          | per    | req  |Cost  |
     |          | unit   | w/MS |      |
-----|----------|--------|------|------|----------------------
1    | Miss St  | 550    | 32   | 18k  | R1 school; low cost
2    | FAU      800    | 42   | 34k  | Likely to become R1

3    | N Dakota | 900    | 60   | 54k  | Likely to become R1
4    | Clarkson | 1.5k   | 60   | 90k  | Tuition just too high
5    | Nova S   1.1k   51   | 56k  | Many ABD ex-students
6    | Capitol  | 1k     | 60   | 60k  | Publication not req'd
7    | North C  | 1k     | 48   | 48k  | Publication not req'd

Amongst these choices, I think Mississippi State is the best option, R1 and cheap. FAU is R2, but they're growing and will likely be R1 in 2024.  North Dakota is next because they are a flagship state school (for their state), and should get good government-funded research projects. This is just hearsay, but I've seen in other forums that a lot of students exit Nova ABD, so it seems they don't get very many research projects. Northcentral doesn't seem to be actively involved in any research areas, as far as I can tell, same as Capitol Tech. I went to their websites and looked at the faculty pages to see what students are working on, and I didn't see any. Florida Atlantic and Mississippi State have faculty pages, and they have active research labs, so they look like excellent options as well. I ranked Mississippi State higher because they're cheaper, and a slightly higher ranking. Did I miss any schools?

(05-03-2022, 02:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I mean, it's only $1533/credit and you just need 90 credits... Let me see, even if you transfer in 30 credits, that'll leave you with 60.  That's close to 90K still for a somewhat well known PhD... still a lot more than I would afford, sticking to the ones under 30K for now unless I get scholarships.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but can you please tone down the sarcasm a bit, "I mean, it's only $1533/credit and you just need 90 credits". Have you been over at degreeinfo recently? It's overrun by people making sarcastic remarks and personal attacks, and the moderators there seem to have let everything get away from them. In fact, there's a thread there called "personal attacks" lol. Degreeforum is run much better (thank you and other moderators for that). Anyway, back to the topic...

I agree with your post. $90k is just too much. If it were MIT or Stanford, I'd pay the $90k, otherwise, it's hard to justify. I went to a private school similar to Clarkson (top 100 but not elite). Awesome experience. Excellent staff, and everyone there willing to help you. I also went to top tier public school. Horrible experience. Staff and professors had horrible attitudes. Sarcastic, rude. I was glad when I graduated. However, when I interview, hiring managers would mention the public school, "good school...", and not mention the expensive private one.
[-] The following 3 users Like ifomonay's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, sialiblo, ss20ts
(05-04-2022, 05:04 PM)ifomonay Wrote: Did I miss any schools?

Categorically different, but there are a few professional doctorates from non-research-universities with Computer Science titles. Non-profit: City University of Seattle Doctor of Information Technology (DIT) with area of focus in Computer Science. For-profits: University of the Potomac Doctor of Computer Science (DCS), Colorado Tech University Doctor of Computer Science (DCS), Aspen University (not RA, NA DEAC) Doctor of Science (DSc) in Computer Science.
Clarkson is known more in NY state than nation wide
They're pretty big. Rankings don't mean much. Pretty expensive. But if you have the money, go for it.
(09-16-2022, 08:43 PM)ifomonay Wrote: They're pretty big. Rankings don't mean much. Pretty expensive. But if you have the money, go for it.

Exactly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Middle Georgia State U Doctor of Science in Public Safety freeloader 13 1,105 03-22-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  Virginia University of Lynchburg Accreditation on Warning Jonathan Whatley 22 2,374 03-20-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Dr_Chirp
  DBA from Prague University of Economics and Business, 15k Euro durain 6 808 03-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Golden Gate University or Apollos DBA? kb24bi8 39 3,835 02-22-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Philosophy PhD by Thesis ~ USD $20K from Staffordshire University UK MFG 2 391 01-26-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  European International University basu888 47 15,383 01-21-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Westcliff University DBA - RA, ACBSP for $16.5k armado 4 526 01-18-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: armado
  New Mexico Tech PhD in Computer Science Jonathan Whatley 1 386 12-29-2023, 12:22 PM
  Middle Georgia State : Doctor of Science in IT durain 6 1,553 12-19-2023, 02:44 AM
  Spain Inter-University Doctoral Programme in Business & Management durain 3 757 11-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: MrPanda