Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classes over $250 a credit?!?
Has anyone used TA for classes over $250 a credit? Did the army/military pay the additional $$$? Most grad schools cost more than $250 a credit so how can get the money for it?

Possible answers: use GI bill early, waiver from your commander?
Most questions on TA can be found at eLearners.com.

I am not familiar with graduate programs but I believe your GI Bill would cover the excess cost. Scholarships, and grants are other viable options. I hope that helps.
----------CLEP------------
College Mathematics--73
College Algebra--------68
College Comp Modular-58
Analyzing Literature----57
Intro to Psychology-----55
Precalculus--------------55
Spanish------------------50

----------DSST-------------
Fund of College Algebra-437
I know in the Navy they aren't approving any kind of TA waiver anymore.

If the school participates in the Yellow Ribbon program you'll be good, if not talk to your college office about grants and scholarships for Veterans or active duty.... I'm sure if you want to take the class you can find a way to get funded.
The school i work for has a scholarship for undergraduate students that we use to drop the cost to the maximum TA will allow. Unfortunately with graduate school there is usually still some out-of-pocket cost. Look for schools that have these type of policies in place. If you're set on a school, then just use TA for as much as you can per year. If you're in an adult learning setting this may mean skipping class sessions a bit here and there to make TA work.
SRT12 Wrote:Has anyone used TA for classes over $250 a credit? Did the army/military pay the additional $$$? Most grad schools cost more than $250 a credit so how can get the money for it?

Possible answers: use GI bill early, waiver from your commander?

I'm about to start on my Masters and I will have to use the TA and Top Up together. TA will cover the $750 and Top Up program (using part of GI Bill) will cover the rest. I don't know the process yet so I would get with the Education center if I were you. make sure you apply so you can get your GI Bill certificate of eligibility.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
True about the top up... but doesn't that only apply to the Montgomery GI Bill? What about the Post 9/11 GI bill that most people prefer?
MA2 Wrote:True about the top up... but doesn't that only apply to the Montgomery GI Bill? What about the Post 9/11 GI bill that most people prefer?

The top up works with the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but like I said, I don't know the process yet. The counselor showed me how to do it but I wasn't paying too much attention. I'll figure it out once I start classes.

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I think public employees, military etc should be given partial tuition reimbursement but not full when it comes to grad school.
The reason is that the quality of the education is better maintained when the student has some skin in the game. If you go to a school that is 100% paid for by the gub mint then you are probably not as likely to value it or to be ultra-discriminating in choosing that school.
Plus we have a huge deficit.
I'd rather pay the military a higher wage and cut back on the fringe benefits and allow each service member to spend their dollars where they feel they are the most valuable.

Thats my personal opinion fwiw.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Considering I spent 4 long years in the Navy with no idea if or where I'd get deployed to, whether I'd come back with all my limbs, or with my sanity, or maybe I would get shot in a training accident because the new guy thinks an M4 is a toy, to get my school paid for I'm thankful you don't make the rules. Fortunately I've never been shot at or witnessed too much gratuitous violence.

ryoder Wrote:Plus we have a huge deficit.

People get handouts left and right in this country... welfare, unemployment, food stamps, medicaid, tuition grants, and so on, but you'd rather cut my benefits?

And if you fail a class you have to pay the VA back the full tuition, so we do have a stake in our grades.

2 Sailors Killed During Training Exercise - Local News - San Diego, CA - msnbc.com
MA2 Wrote:People get handouts left and right in this country... welfare, unemployment, food stamps, medicaid, tuition grants, and so on, but you'd rather cut my benefits?

And if you fail a class you have to pay the VA back the full tuition, so we do have a stake in our grades.

:iagree:
I remember in 2008 sitting in an Army education center in Baghdad taking my first CLEPs (Intro to Sociology), we had to hit the ground in the middle of it because we had 7 rockets hit our compound. After it was over, we kept on taking our tests. Glad I passed it. Big Grin
Even though our school is paid for, we do have a responsibility to pass our classes. The last thing I need is fail a course and have to pay back $1000 or so. God Bless America, and we welcome your opinion Ryoder, but like MA2 says, I'm glad you don't make the rules. My opinion.

CLEPs Passed
DSSTs Passed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting Dive training to Colleges credit vetvso 9 1,689 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Brandman...Earn your Master's in only 7 classes. blaqberry 21 12,593 10-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,881 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,583 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,309 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,875 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How many Classes is it safe to take a year while on active duty? EazyE 14 7,826 06-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Passing NUC495 and other upper level classes without taking 100/200 level classes Randy8876 0 1,568 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Randy8876
  Joint service transcript credit acceptance windyart 8 3,003 06-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Last Post: windyart
  Are SPēD certificates worth anything? What about their ACE-approved classes? OfficerA 2 1,564 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Leherself