Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contradictory Information Given by Admissions
Hello guys,

So, I recently called TESU and asked two questions: Can I really transfer up to 120 credits max from a 4-year university and is there an max upper limit to the amount of transfer credits I can transfer in? Also, do you guys accept credits from ACE-recommended Coursera certificates?

Here's the thing, they told me that I can only transfer in up to 90 credits contrary to what everyone else is saying and what this website says: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion
Also, they told me that they don't accept Coursera certificates for transfer credits even if they are ACE-recommended and even though this webpage lists all the equivalencies:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera

Did any of their policies change recently or are they just not informed enough about the policies? Also, did any of you guys successfully transfer in Coursera certificates recently to TESU?
Yeah, the thing about TESU is that their advisors... aren't the best. Or most well-informed. As far as anyone is aware, these policies haven't changed. We do recommend 16 credits of residency in a single flat-rate term, in the interests of saving money, but otherwise students can simply pay the residency waiver fee and only take 6 credits from TESU itself.

Ignore advising and just go with what the forum here says.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, origamishuttle
Yeah, the advisors do this kind of thing all the freaking time. I'm sure what they meant (and didn't say) was that you could only transfer 90 ACE credits. One has to remember that they don't really see that many people doing what we do here, bringing in 114, mostly alternative transfer credits. They can be singularly thick about it, when they want to be.

It's best to limit interactions to things you HAVE to ask them to do for you, like switching your degree plan. General questions tend to often go sideways. It also pays to limit yourself to email, and one question at a time. Multiple questions or "if this, then do that" questions tend to get scrambled. For example, if you say, "I'm thinking of switching to a BSBA and would a particular Sophia class count for UL area of study credit?" and they're likely to simply switch you to a BSBA and ignore the question about the course.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
Alright, thanks so much for the responses guys! I guess I'll just go off from what everyone is saying here, I guess, and avoid having to contact TESU when I don't need to.
He maybe a bit confused because of the 30 RA credit requirement. You're far better off asking folks on here with direct experience about TESU than TESU themselves which I know sounds odd. If you stick around here for awhile, you'll see some entertaining things their advisors tell students.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
@mariobros1985, have you applied and enrolled yet at TESU? If you haven't enrolled yet, they may be busy and trying to answer your question but instead of using alternative credit options, they want you to take courses or RA credits instead - the traditional way. If you have just applied but not enrolled, it's good to get more info from the forum first, I usually recommend chatting with TESU when the need arises (something that we can't change/modify on our end). Advice is just that, you will need to take the info and see which answer you're looking for.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-08-2023, 05:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: He maybe a bit confused because of the 30 RA credit requirement. You're far better off asking folks on here with direct experience about TESU than TESU themselves which I know sounds odd. If you stick around here for awhile, you'll see some entertaining things their advisors tell students.

Also, there is no real max to the number of credits you can transfer in, ACE or otherwise; if you bring in 250cr of ACE, they will all transfer in, they just won't all apply to your degree.  So for someone who wants all of their credits on a transcript, that's a great option.

So here are the rules: for any single bachelor's degree, you can only APPLY 90cr of ACE and 24cr of transferred RA to that degree; the remaining 6cr, the cornerstone and the capstone, must be taken at TESU.  The rest of your credits will go to "Other credits".
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 467 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SOS 110 Information Literacy discounted through edx Microbachelor MNomadic 45 6,098 01-24-2024, 02:05 PM
  EDx Information Literacy not accepted for Computer Science SOS-110 mt_1994 23 2,251 06-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Davar CS315 management information systems for tesu? CanICode 1 477 04-18-2023, 06:26 PM
Lightbulb SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy My Experience LevelUP 29 8,557 02-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
  TESU Advisor Telling me Wrong Information? Captainrekt000 14 1,413 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM
  CLEP Information Systems @ TESU Juju7 9 1,086 07-13-2021, 03:25 PM
  Equivalent to SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University thepoetvd776 4 1,220 02-17-2021, 10:09 PM
  Study.com - Library Science 101: Information Literacy pkmoose 4 863 01-18-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: pkmoose
  Should I take the Capstone and Information Literacy together? romoh 10 2,178 12-15-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: SkaroFamily