Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree planning
Those AP courses will be worth full credit at any of the big 3 (TESC, COSC, EC) as long as your scores were 3 or better. For what it's worth, AP scores are generally good for 20 years. :hurray: Which exams were they? Some are worth 3, others worth 6 each!
FEMA, like TECEPS, shouldn't be the only consideration when choosing your degree path. There are a lot of options and variables to think about.

You will have to use the CC credits you've accumulated, receiving schools will require ALL your transcripts. What are these courses in?

I, of course, like the idea of testing out...it will be cheaper regardless of the school chosen. There are some excellent options for classes from great schools that might help round out some of your required credit. I mention them here because they aren't talked about much, all are self paced, independent study, and cheap for what they are, they would also provide graded credit if that's important later for admission to graduate school:

http://www.uidaho.edu/academicaffairs/is...psychology These are around $110/credit
http://extendedstudies.csupueblo.edu/Ind...fault.aspx $479/3 credit course...excellent customer service, I used them to complete my degree through COSC and I have a friend taking courses there now...stellar customer service.

Best,
Rebel
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank you all so much, this is exactly what I was looking for; correction on incorrect information and tips/advice. I did not know AP exams counted for 20 years I got 3s and 4s on US history, psychology, and 1 more but I can't recall at the moment. Then I took Economics 101 and child development at harbor city college, art appreciation at Nevada city college, and a English writing class at St. Leo's (A's in all courses).

As far FEMA goes, it isn't paramount to my degree but I just thought it would be great to use FEMA since the cost is a big factor for me and every credit I can obtain for free would be extremely helpful. To be honest I'm drowning in information here and feel a little overwhelmed. I know what options are out there but I'm having a difficult time deciding what is optimum in terms of cost and time. I'm sure most everyone would prefer the most efficient method but personally I just can't afford to spend money on credits I don't need or can't use.

Thanks again everyone, it means a lot to know there are people out there willing to give a stranger like me guidance.
Setta Wrote:Thank you all so much, this is exactly what I was looking for; correction on incorrect information and tips/advice. I did not know AP exams counted for 20 years I got 3s and 4s on US history, psychology, and 1 more but I can't recall at the moment. Then I took Economics 101 and child development at harbor city college, art appreciation at Nevada city college, and a English writing class at St. Leo's (A's in all courses).

As far FEMA goes, it isn't paramount to my degree but I just thought it would be great to use FEMA since the cost is a big factor for me and every credit I can obtain for free would be extremely helpful. To be honest I'm drowning in information here and feel a little overwhelmed. I know what options are out there but I'm having a difficult time deciding what is optimum in terms of cost and time. I'm sure most everyone would prefer the most efficient method but personally I just can't afford to spend money on credits I don't need or can't use.

Thanks again everyone, it means a lot to know there are people out there willing to give a stranger like me guidance.

From what you've indicated, if price is an issue, then doing 8 TECEPs, & following the TESC plan would probably be best. It looks like COSC has more requirements to get the psych degree.

Confusion at first is a good thing. It means that you're uncertain of what's the right way. You read some more, and start piecing things together, and eventually you learn enough where you know what's best for yourself. It's a little overwhelming at first with all this new information, but it'll serve you well in the long run no matter what and where you go.
Setta Wrote:Thank you all so much, this is exactly what I was looking for; correction on incorrect information and tips/advice. I did not know AP exams counted for 20 years I got 3s and 4s on US history, psychology, and 1 more but I can't recall at the moment. Then I took Economics 101 and child development at harbor city college, art appreciation at Nevada city college, and a English writing class at St. Leo's (A's in all courses).

If it were me, I would take a look at the general education requirements for COSC and TESC, start now on amassing credits that are applicable to either school. For example both will mandate English Comp 1 and 2, a college math, science courses, and humanities. You can complete these now while your checking things out and fine tuning a plan. I would try ALEKS for math at only $20/month and pick either a straighterline course or a specific credit by exam to complete.

I believe you should work toward a bachelors degree....but picking up an AA/AS on the way is a nice way to chart your progress...not required, but I would make that a sub goal of my studies.

Are you eligible for federal aid? Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov/ and find out...if you had a full PELL grant to work with testing out might not be the only cheap way to approach this (for you). If your eligible, fill out the application and see where your at.

So now get started...you have two courses to jump on and homework exploring FA options. Smile

http://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curren...ements.cfm
https://www.charteroak.edu/current/acade...r-list.pdf

http://www.tesc.edu/academics/courses/Ge...ourses.cfm
http://www.tesc.edu/academics/catalog/CL...rogram.cfm
http://www.tesc.edu/academics/catalog/DANTES.cfm
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
To start, pick the degree plan or plans you are interested in and see how your previous work will fit into them. If you post you course titles and include the prefix and number, others here can help you.

Have you considered getting an Associates degree on your way to a Bachelors? If you are considering the BA in Psych from TESC, here is the link to the AA from TESC Thomas Edison State College: Associate in Arts There is also an AA in Human Services but for some reason it is not listed on the online degree page.

Here is the page to request AP scores. https://apscore.collegeboard.org/scores/score-reporting If your exams are archived, it takes a couple of weeks for your new school to receive them.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

TESC's BA in Psychology won't be as cheap as the BSBA under the Per Credit Tuition Plan. It will probably cost you a little over $4,000. My thread on how to complete a BA in Liberal Studies cheaply will give you a better idea of how to complete the psychology degree cheaply since both programs have similar requirements.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post172163

The Per Credit Tuition Plan is fine if you are paying out of pocket, but it is not good for those who need to use financial aid unless you're using money from refund checks from attending another school. There are some free credits one can earn for a TESC degree: TEEX, Kaplan PLA, and NFA.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:TESC's BA in Psychology won't be as cheap as the BSBA under the Per Credit Tuition Plan. It will probably cost you a little over $4,000. My thread on how to complete a BA in Liberal Studies cheaply will give you a better idea of how to complete the psychology degree cheaply since both programs have similar requirements.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post172163

The Per Credit Tuition Plan is fine if you are paying out of pocket, but it is not good for those who need to use financial aid unless you're using money from refund checks from attending another school. There are some free credits one can earn for a TESC degree: TEEX, Kaplan PLA, and NFA.

Unfortunately I will be paying for everything out of pocket. I hate to word my question this way but would my least expensive option be to earn a Bachelors in Business Administration from TESC? I can find which exams TESC accept for credit but I can't find the cheaper alternatives that are acceptable, ie straightline, saylor, UExcel, etc. I know I can get this information through a counselor and I plan on buying the bullet and making an international call tonight but I would appreciate the advice of others that have gone down this path in regards to the options of (2.) below. All the sites; straightline and saylor make it seem like I could practically earn my whole degree through them but I figure there must be some reason that everybody doesn't do it that way.

I am out of the country and have been so for 4 years. I no longer have a address in the states and I am currently going through a identity theft investigation( I was the victim, not the thief). I don't think I could get help via loan or grant. What I have so far is;
1. Gather my ap scores and college course credits I have. (Should count for 5-6 classes)
2. Take classes via straightline, saylor, and math through aleks. (Teex, Kaplan pla, and nfa I've never heard of sanantone, I will have to look those up.)
3. Take cleps, dantes and other applicable exams.
4 Finish upper level with the TECES(?) exams.
Setta Wrote:1. Gather my ap scores and college course credits I have. (Should count for 5-6 classes)
2. Take classes via straightline, saylor, and math through aleks. (Teex, Kaplan pla, and nfa I've never heard of sanantone, I will have to look those up.)
3. Take cleps, dantes and other applicable exams.
4 Finish upper level with the TECES(?) exams.

Check out both COSC and TESC. If you decide on a BA in Psych from TESC, you might also want to knock out an ASBA along the way - and graduate from both at the same time. You could...

1) Figure out the credits you currently have and how they will transfer to TESC.
2) Work those into your BA in Psych degree plan, then add in these free courses: TEEX - 6 cr; NFA - 3 cr; Kaplan PLA - 3 cr = TOTAL 12 free credits.
3) Next, factor in ALEKS courses (which are $20/mth) and Saylor courses (which are $25 per exam).
4) Add at least 7 TECEPs ($111 for a 3-cr exam) and the 1 Capstone course to your degree plan. The TECEPs can be UL or LL.
5) Fill in the rest with CLEPs, DSSTs, StraighterLines, UExcels, or courses from Torah College Credits.

For TESC, there's also a $75 application fee, a graduation fee, and a course registration fee for the Capstone. There will also be these sort of fees via COSC.

If you could, I would suggest emailing TESC to save on the phone calls. It might take several back-and-forths to sort things out, but you'd save heaps on call charges. I'm an international student enrolled with TESC and I've never had to call them before. Any problems were resolved via emails. Smile
Setta,

TESC Psych vs BSBA. Some of the CBE for Psych may be more expensive then the CBE for the BSBA, ex Excelsior psych exams. Psych will require a capstone course, where the capstone for BSBA can by filled by the Strategic Management TECEP or a cheaper Penn Foster course.

If you are overseas, confirm that you can take CLEP and DSST exams.

TECEPs and Straighterline finals delivered with ProctorU so you can take them anywhere.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,229 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,363 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,684 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,900 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,786 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,035 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,341 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,700 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero