Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diploma Mills
You're right, if accreditation means nothing then there's nothing "sacred" about it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • StoicJ
stoicj Wrote:Personally, I would like to see Calc 1 be a MINIMUM math requirement for ALL university degrees. That one can graduate from a university and not know CALCULUS just does not make sense, to me.

uhm

I am very math adverse. I am not dumb. If Calculus was mandatory, I am unsure I would be able to graduate. I'll leave the argument as to whether higher math has any direct impact on many career fields untouched; but, the math that WAS required almost broke me.

Just throwing it out there.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(02-10-2018, 11:17 AM)High_Order1 Wrote:
stoicj Wrote:Personally, I would like to see Calc 1 be a MINIMUM math requirement for ALL university degrees. That one can graduate from a university and not know CALCULUS just does not make sense, to me.

uhm

I am very math adverse. I am not dumb. If Calculus was mandatory, I am unsure I would be able to graduate. I'll leave the argument as to whether higher math has any direct impact on many career fields untouched; but, the math that WAS required almost broke me.

Just throwing it out there.

The argument is going the other way. I've read articles lately suggesting higher education remove math from degree requirements because it isn't used in the real world.
Why?  What makes you any better at determining what makes a good degree plan for EVERYONE than a body of people setting the standards?  Why would your way be the better one?

I think that having different standards for different degrees makes total sense.  Why does a communications major need Calculus?  Why would an English degree need it?  Or a degree in HR?

Basically, you're saying that if you're not good at math, then you shouldn't be able to get a decent job, even if that job doesn't require the level of math that YOU think someone should have.  It makes no sense.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • mudball, Murdockb, TDHARRIS
Former advisor to the Governor of California and now a business professor at a PAC-12 university said Universities do NOT even try to create degrees for jobs. He said only CC's even try.

When I look at one State where CC's AA/AS degrees requirements require 4 sciences (3 with labs) and they have a 9.5% graduation rate this is true. BTY, this was NOT the case in my generation.

Most CC's who have AAS degrees focus on the skill and not on the GEN ED stuff.

My AA and AS degrees I never list on my resume = junk.

I do list the one AAS degree.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(02-10-2018, 02:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why?  What makes you any better at determining what makes a good degree plan for EVERYONE than a body of people setting the standards?  Why would your way be the better one?

I think that having different standards for different degrees makes total sense.  Why does a communications major need Calculus?  Why would an English degree need it?  Or a degree in HR?

Basically, you're saying that if you're not good at math, then you shouldn't be able to get a decent job, even if that job doesn't require the level of math that YOU think someone should have.  It makes no sense.
I am just saying I believe a UNIVERSITY education should not be about acquiring work skills, but rather a liberal education, and it should be rigorous. Trade skills should be picked up at other institutions. I completely agree that different specialties should have different requirements. If you want to crunch numbers for a living, or at least want to have credentials that show the world you can do that particular thing well, then it does not make sense for you to have to take 2 rounds of history, 2 rounds of biology, a couple of PE classes, and all that other mess they make you go through. What a waste Sad

I studied a range of subjects at a B&M. I loved it. BUT, it really was cheap then, and I wasn't committed to any particular career path. I just wanted to see what was out there. It's too costly to do that the traditional way these days.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(02-10-2018, 11:09 PM)StoicJ Wrote: I am just saying I believe a UNIVERSITY education should not be about acquiring work skills.

I think few Universities do.  All my baristas have a rigorous liberal arts education. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • cookderosa, StoicJ
^^  Good point.   And no way would I have been prepared for rigorous when I was 17 or 18! I took Calculus 1 until the first exam. Twiddled my thumbs for 40 minutes, turned in about a 10% completed exam, and went straight to the registrar to drop it and get my partial refund Big Grin

Actually, I lie. The 10% completed might have been 1 of 10 questions was about an elephant falling off a cliff, and I remember drawing the elephant, the cliff, and maybe a question mark.   Tongue
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
[-] The following 2 users Like StoicJ's post:
  • High_Order1, Life Long Learning
(02-10-2018, 11:09 PM)StoicJ Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 02:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why?  What makes you any better at determining what makes a good degree plan for EVERYONE than a body of people setting the standards?  Why would your way be the better one?

I am just saying I believe a UNIVERSITY education should not be about acquiring work skills, but rather a liberal education, and it should be rigorous. Trade skills should be picked up at other institutions. I completely agree that different specialties should have different requirements. If you want to crunch numbers for a living, or at least want to have credentials that show the world you can do that particular thing well, then it does not make sense for you to have to take 2 rounds of history, 2 rounds of biology, a couple of PE classes, and all that other mess they make you go through. What a waste Sad

I studied a range of subjects at a B&M. I loved it. BUT, it really was cheap then, and I wasn't committed to any particular career path. I just wanted to see what was out there. It's too costly to do that the traditional way these days.

Are you practicing this argument for your GRE?
(02-11-2018, 12:32 AM)DavidHume Wrote: Are you practicing this argument for your GRE?

Uhhhhh, my hope is they will be SO impressed with my 3.0, a GRE will not be necessary. Haha. No?
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 567 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 901 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 543 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  What are some of the dumbest degree mills have you seen? elcastor21 6 675 10-02-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Degree Mills that were accredited at some point? elcastor21 1 445 09-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 3,780 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Diploma Appearances ThatBankDude 5 1,177 05-24-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Fake nursing diploma Imbanewbie 10 1,131 02-01-2023, 09:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Mills to merge with Northeastern? Alpha 13 1,531 08-17-2022, 03:59 PM
Last Post: wow
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 941 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac