Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dishonest TESU & additional math requirements for BA
Just when I thought I'd completed all the math requirements for the BA, here am I being forced to take MORE math in SOS 110 Critical Info Literacy in MyLab.  I was not expecting this and others should be warned.  I thought my capstone would be the stressful course, but SOS 110 is a thorn in my side.  What a gross, useless course!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
You can test out of all the math, so you don't have to take it.

Most of it is fractions, and not hard to get a calculator to add these.  The math is like 2nd-grade math to maybe 7th grade.  Littery, some of the questions are like, what is 1+1?

That MyLab can turn into a real BEAST if you don't test out of most of it.   10 modules around 3hs to go through each one. I had to do 2 reading/writing modules. They weren't easy.

But after you get through it, it's a free 100%, 12% of your grade.

I got all the Lab, Nimble, and quizzes done the first couple of weeks, after that the course is pretty easy and non-stressful.

My SOS 110 Guide is Here:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 4 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jch, MrBossmanJr, rpmranger, Thorne
(12-02-2020, 12:26 PM)LevelUP Wrote: You can test out of all the math, so you don't have to take it.

Most of it is fractions, and not hard to get a calculator to add these.  The math is like 2nd-grade math to maybe 7th grade.  Littery, some of the questions are like, what is 1+1?

That MyLab can turn into a real BEAST if you don't test out of most of it.   10 modules around 3hs to go through each one.  I had to do 2 reading/writing modules. They weren't easy.

I got all the Lab, Nimble, and quizzes done the first couple of weeks, after that the course is pretty easy and non-stressful.

You're being insulting. It is NOT second grade math!   Many of the questions are Algebra based and never used on any job I've ever worked!  Yes, I tested out of other areas.  Still a disgusting, useless class with additional math I was not aware of.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
(12-02-2020, 12:55 PM)collegechick Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 12:26 PM)LevelUP Wrote: You can test out of all the math, so you don't have to take it.

That MyLab can turn into a real BEAST if you don't test out of most of it.   10 modules around 3hs to go through each one.  I had to do 2 reading/writing modules. They weren't easy.

It is NOT second grade math!   Many of the questions are Algebra based and never used on any job I've ever worked!  Yes, I tested out of other areas.  Still a disgusting, useless class with additional math I was not aware of.  By the way, it's literally, not littery.  Guess you missed those easy spelling lessons in MyLab.
OK, you are frustrated, taking it on folks trying to help is not really the best way to deal.

On another note, did you attempt the test out only once for math?

You get two tries on the test out. Having done the first time and knowing what to expect, you can have a scientific calculator or mathway open on another screen the second time around.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 2 users Like cerich67's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, ss20ts
(12-02-2020, 01:00 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 12:55 PM)collegechick Wrote:

It is NOT second grade math!   Many of the questions are Algebra based and never used on any job I've ever worked!  Yes, I tested out of other areas.  Still a disgusting, useless class with additional math I was not aware of.  By the way, it's literally, not littery.  Guess you missed those easy spelling lessons in MyLab.
OK, you are frustrated, taking it on folks trying to help is not really the best way to deal.

On another note, did you attempt the test out only once for math?

You get two tries on the test out. Having done the first time and knowing what to expect, you can have a scientific calculator or mathway open on another screen the second time around.

He's not trying to help but being insulting.  But I edited it so you won't be offended.  All of this work for an embarrassing sounding school.  FML.
(12-02-2020, 01:01 PM)collegechick Wrote: He's not trying to help but being insulting.  But I edited it so you won't be offended.  All of this work for an embarrassing sounding school.  FML.

Well, aren't you unpleasant.  Don't worry about offending me, this is last reply to you.

If the name of the school embarrasses you, pick another instead of complaining. That is on you, not the school. YOU choose it, you choose to be embarrassed by it.

Sounds to me like the FML is self-inflicted by attitude.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 3 users Like cerich67's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, OldManOfTheSea, ss20ts
(12-02-2020, 01:19 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 01:01 PM)collegechick Wrote: He's not trying to help but being insulting.  But I edited it so you won't be offended.  All of this work for an embarrassing sounding school.  FML.

Well, aren't you unpleasant.  Don't worry about offending me, this is last reply to you.

If the name of the school embarrasses you, pick another instead of complaining. That is on you, not the school. YOU choose it, you choose to be embarrassed by it.

Sounds to me like the FML is self-inflicted by attitude.

The unpleasant one here is you creich67.  You really didn't need to comment, there was no reason to.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cerich67, Thorne
Keep in mind that SOS-110 is intended to be the first course that new students take at TESU. The purpose is to teach you how to be effective at online study, make sure you know how to use online resources, and make sure you're ready for more advanced courses. As part of this they test your reading/writing/math skills as well, both to make sure you're ready and to set a baseline.

So you know, they also test this stuff again in the capstone. The idea is that they do a test at the beginning of your college journey and again at the end to assess how well you've progressed. It also provides statistics for TESU to show skill levels and progression for graduates, which I believe helps TESU with their federal funding.

This is not anything new. It has been discussed in prior threads. TESU isn't being dishonest about anything... it is part of the academic process.

I can understand being frustrated by it, but there is nothing covered in the math for SOS-110 that you shouldn't be capable of completing if you've already taken all the required math courses. It would be more frustrating for people who are just starting out and haven't taken those courses. But part of the idea is to measure where you stand, so TESU will know if you need to invest more time in math or reading/writing skills.

Also, remember that this isn't the off-topic forum. Please try to be civil in the main threads. It's okay to disagree and debate viewpoints with each other, but let's try to remain civil and avoid personal attacks or negative statements about other forum members. It doesn't help anyone's argument. If people don't have anything positive to add, it's better to just move on to another thread.

I don't want to have to lock the thread or issue warnings to anyone. Thanks!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Dorothy44, MrBossmanJr, Thorne
(12-02-2020, 02:36 PM)Merlin Wrote: Keep in mind that SOS-110 is intended to be the first course that new students take at TESU. The purpose is to teach you how to be effective at online study, make sure you know how to use online resources, and make sure you're ready for more advanced courses. As part of this they test your reading/writing/math skills as well, both to make sure you're ready and to set a baseline.

So you know, they also test this stuff again in the capstone. The idea is that they do a test at the beginning of your college journey and again at the end to assess how well you've progressed. It also provides statistics for TESU to show skill levels and progression for graduates, which I believe helps TESU with their federal funding.

This is not anything new. It has been discussed in prior threads. TESU isn't being dishonest about anything... it is part of the academic process.

I can understand being frustrated by it, but there is nothing covered in the math for SOS-110 that you shouldn't be capable of completing if you've already taken all the required math courses. It would be more frustrating for people who are just starting out and haven't taken those courses. But part of the idea is to measure where you stand, so TESU will know if you need to invest more time in math or reading/writing skills.

I thought SOS-110 was an info literacy course, but it's more than that. TESU's website says this:

Many of our students who are new to online learning begin their educational program by registering for SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy as their first course. Through interactive instructional software, students evaluate and strengthen their academic skills in writing, mathematics and basic information skills.

They don't hide anything about the math aspects of this course. It is interesting that there is math. Many schools don't include math and it's more about how to do a research paper which I always though was odd since I would have thought that would be covered in an English/composition course. As a society, we are definitely lacking in math skills so this is probably very beneficial to many folks. Many of us don't use many math skills once we leave high school. I've taken both of Sophia's math courses and have been surprised how many of those topics have followed me into other courses. I took a risk management course and Venn diagrams were all over...never knew what they were called before the Sophia math classes. Now they follow me everywhere! Some info I learned in College Algebra followed me into Human Biology and to a science class at UMPI. These lower level skills and theories you learn really do move on with you into upper level coursework. 
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, rachel83az
(12-02-2020, 11:57 AM)collegechick Wrote: Just when I thought I'd completed all the math requirements for the BA, here am I being forced to take MORE math in SOS 110 Critical Info Literacy in MyLab.  I was not expecting this and others should be warned.  I thought my capstone would be the stressful course, but SOS 110 is a thorn in my side.  What a gross, useless course!

Best of luck to you and your studies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 698 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch