Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESL Teaching with UMPI Degree.
My main purpose for acquiring a bachelor's degree was with the intention of teaching English as a foreign language in places such as Korea, China, etc. I have completed my degree with UMPI in 2 sessions, i.e 4 months, but now looking into the details available online it seems these places only accept 3-4 year bachelors. I have yet to actually go through any sort of application process but personally I find it odd that they would exclude those who have completed their degree faster than others from applying for such positions when they'll sometimes accept those who are only two years into their degree and have yet to complete it.
(07-04-2021, 02:29 AM)portia8 Wrote: My main purpose for acquiring a bachelor's degree was with the intention of teaching English as a foreign language in places such as Korea, China, etc. I have completed my degree with UMPI in 2 sessions, i.e 4 months, but now looking into the details available online it seems these places only accept 3-4 year bachelors. I have yet to actually go through any sort of application process but personally I find it odd that they would exclude those who have completed their degree faster than others from applying for such positions when they'll sometimes accept those who are only two years into their degree and have yet to complete it.

You achieved a four year degree. On your resume don’t list your starting year. If they ask why UMPI was one year your answer is you transferred in. You have a full degree.
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • jch, Pikachu, ss20ts, Vle045
I agree with ashkir. You have a 4-year degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
A bachelor's degree is a 4 year degree. An associate degree is a 2 year degree. Doesn't matter how long it actually takes you to complete the degree.

UMPI took classes from a community college I attended in 1993 and I finished my degree in March. That doesn't make is a 28 year degree. LOL That would be hilarious!
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • canuckian, FastTrackDegree, RachelB, Smilejoelle1
In the US, a bachelor's is a 4yr degree; we don't have 3yr degrees here that I'm aware of (I think that's a Canadian thing?).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-09-2021, 09:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: In the US, a bachelor's is a 4yr degree; we don't have 3yr degrees here that I'm aware of (I think that's a Canadian thing?).

We're kind of special with our 4 year degrees anyways. A lot of countries don't force students to take half of their degree in general education.
ashkir Wrote:You achieved a four year degree. On your resume don’t list your starting year. If they ask why UMPI was one year your answer is you transferred in. You have a full degree.

ss20ts Wrote:A bachelor's degree is a 4 year degree. An associate degree is a 2 year degree. Doesn't matter how long it actually takes you to complete the degree.

UMPI took classes from a community college I attended in 1993 and I finished my degree in March. That doesn't make is a 28 year degree. LOL That would be hilarious!

^^ This, you have a 4 year degree as most of your courses are "transferred in".  It's the content you have learned and courses you have completed are equal to 40 courses/120 credits.  Time to complete the courses is not played out in determining a "length/time or year" of a degree.  You may want to supplement your degree with an accredited TESL/TESOL/TEFL credential.  Here's a recent post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid337354
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • ashkir, Pikachu
For your resume something simple like:

University of Maine at Presque Isle, 2021 3.8 GPA
Degree Name
(07-04-2021, 02:29 AM)portia8 Wrote: My main purpose for acquiring a bachelor's degree was with the intention of teaching English as a foreign language in places such as Korea, China, etc

I don't know your reason for teaching English as a foreign language abroad. I don't know if you intend to do it temporarily or as a permanent career. As a former ESL teacher, I just want to encourage you to consider your goals in ESL.

In most of Asia, you'll find some jobs with better pay and benefits compared to the average salary of local teachers. However, there's a salary cap as a ESL teacher and it might not be enough to meet your savings and/or retirement goals. You won't make $50,000 (USD) a year, but you can still live a higher quality of life in those low cost countries.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,445 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 285 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 173 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 166 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 218 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 367 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 850 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 266 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,464 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 200 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87