Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Easiest" Statistics and Probability course?
So I'm probably going to fail SL's Stats and Prob (unless a miracle happens on the final). I'm not surprised because I don't have a math background. I'm willing to take the course again, but wondering if there are other Stats courses out there that are "easier" (and I put that in quotes because I know that they are all relatively the same amount of difficulty and math is math is math lol).

Any suggestions? I know Aleks is free; I haven't tried out their model yet but I'm considering it.
Sad

ALEKS is much harder than SL.

You might want to try the Dsst Intro to Statistics.

I think someone mentioned that the DSST is more concept based and would be easier for someone who is "math challenged".
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
Gymfan15 Wrote:So I'm probably going to fail SL's Stats and Prob (unless a miracle happens on the final). I'm not surprised because I don't have a math background. I'm willing to take the course again, but wondering if there are other Stats courses out there that are "easier" (and I put that in quotes because I know that they are all relatively the same amount of difficulty and math is math is math lol).

Any suggestions? I know Aleks is free; I haven't tried out their model yet but I'm considering it.

Where did you get ALEKS is free from? Are you already taking courses at ALEKS? It's $20/month.
Read here: http://www.degreeforum.net/what-does-fla...stats.html
Actually, let me copy/paste what I just had type a few minutes ago...

LOL, that's awesome. I was having issue with STATS as well. I tried ALEKS for a whole two months on that one course, switching from each of the three back and forth.
I gave up after a while and went at it over and over again, but it didn't work. Fed up with ALEKS, I went to Straighterline and also failed their Intro to Stats. I was mad!
Finally, the course that did it for me was - Straighterline Business Statistics, it comes into TESU the same as the Intro to Stats, so I was ecstatic when I passed it!

I mean, I spent $40 on two months of ALEKS just trying to pass that, when I just spent $20 on one month of ALEKS and I passed 5 other math courses!
I spent $25 on Intro to Statistics at Straighterline as it uses the same resources as Saylor, but the credit is the same - 3 credits for $25 bucks, still hard!
It's because the required exams are 50% of the grade and the final is 50% of the grade, I ended up with a 65% total.... so close, yet so far!

In the end, while I was looking for Stats courses elsewhere, I noticed Straighterline had Business Stats as well... that's what did it for me, was Straighterline!
I found out that some courses are "Algebra based statistics" and others are "Calculus based statistics", I didn't know until I researched why some were easier than others.
That second course at Straighterline, I ended with 85% as it was more business centric and was algebra based. The Saylor version was calculus based!

TLDR - Take the Business Stats at Straighterline for $59, it'll save you $ and time in the long run vs taking a couple months at ALEKS and a Saylor exam!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Interesting that we have over 5 posts in 'New Posts' focused on 'Easy' options for one thing or another. Statistics is something that without putting the labor in, I could not see any of the available courses, Straighterline, Aleks, DSST, Study.com etc, as anything but hard. I really liked Aleks and did all of their stat courses even though they duplicated at TESU. I did them as a fun challenge and figured that I already paid for the month and wanted to max out my learning challenge investment. I also did Straighterline because I wanted to have a comparison on the best option for my kids. I would classify Straighterline as a more doable option than Aleks and Aleks as a faster option. Keep in mind, I am answering under the position the person has put in some work to learn the information.

Statistics is not something I would just try and finish but something that carries a worthy value to learn. Take your time with this subject and it will reward you in the future.

Good luck!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Definitely wanting to learn the concepts, but at the end of the day, it's the pass that is important. Thanks for the advice; I will look into Business Statistics as an option. Depending on how badly I fail the SL course I may just try it one more time; if I fail again, I'm only out 25 bucks.

And thanks for the correction on ALEKS; it is 20 a month. Still not bad at all.

I'm finding that I understand the concepts when they're explained on, say, Kahn Academy, but when I get into the Saylor texbooks (which is what SL uses) I'm so lost. Probably not having a stronger math background is not helping, but still. I'm a reasonably intelligent young adult, haha. I will figure this out eventually!
REALLY expensive
but probably the easiest statistics course you will do -- I haven't done straighterline or aleks, but this place is so easy

Statistics.com - Introductory Statistics for Credit
If you are close to passing, you could always take a crack at taking the Saylor exam, either Intro to Stats or Business Stats. Since you've been studying their material, the exam might track a little closer. For $20 it could be worth a gamble.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Ideas Wrote:Sad

ALEKS is much harder than SL.

I second this, and this is from someone who has passed stats, twice!
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
davewill Wrote:If you are close to passing, you could always take a crack at taking the Saylor exam, either Intro to Stats or Business Stats. Since you've been studying their material, the exam might track a little closer. For $20 it could be worth a gamble.

My son failed the SL course but since it was only $25 he immediately retook it - he said the retake final was fewer questions and found it much easier - he got a pretty high score on the retake after bombing the first one.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,815 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 603 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Business 212 business statistics thepoetvd776 1 703 11-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Easiest ACE accredited courses on Saylor cfoster 5 1,365 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
  Easiest LL & UL Class on Study.com dragonwolf 13 3,483 07-21-2022, 01:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best place/easiest for English Comp I? suzycupcake 13 2,286 06-21-2022, 10:31 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Easiest/Quickest Remaining Sophia Courses? bdarei 21 15,028 05-22-2022, 01:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What are the easiest & fastest Sophia courses out of this list? cdickerson0601 9 4,659 05-19-2022, 11:40 AM
Last Post: gams007
  Statistics - options now (quick and easy) allvia 5 1,115 04-29-2022, 05:39 PM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 7 2,252 12-15-2021, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20