Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Composition ENC 102 - alternative
Other than the OL, TECEP and the sophia course(delayed grading), is there any other places sources that can be used to fulfill this TESU requirement.

I recall a while back that someone said that there was an test you can take in person that will fulfill both ENC101/ENC102 at once.

Thanks for you input.
There's the CLEP: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program Assuming you're in the US, it'd be free through ModernStates.

TEL Learning: https://www.tellearning.org/courses-on-demand/

ONU: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

Of those three, if you just want a one-and-done, CLEP is a solid choice. Olivet would take a bit longer but would be a decent option. TEL would be in last place.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The ASU ULC ENG 102 course will work for ENC 102 at TESU. It's an 8 week instructor-paced format. It's offered five times annually, with the next start date being June. Although it's more expensive than some other options at $425, these are graded RA credits. https://ea.asu.edu/courses/english-composition-eng-102/

If you're looking for an exam, TESU will take the CLEP College Composition (essay required) for both ENC 101 and ENC 102 https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
DSST's Principles of Advanced English Composition used to work, it probably still does. If you can find an open testing center in your area.

SL has a course. So does Davar.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Take the CLEP exam. Use modernstates.org to review at least view the videos, and then receive a free voucher for the CLEP exam. The CLEP English is pitifully easier than anything else out there, and free makes it tons better.

If you needed to get your 24 regional credits, you may want to consider taking the English from a community college instead.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dorothy44's post:
  • Arto
(05-11-2021, 06:03 PM)onlinelearner99 Wrote: Other than the OL, TECEP and the sophia course(delayed grading), is there any other places sources that can be used to fulfill this TESU requirement.

I recall a while back that someone said that there was an test you can take in person that will fulfill both ENC101/ENC102 at once.

Thanks for you input.

I took the CLEP, took me 12 hours to study for it.

I went through Modern States, did the Peterson Master The Clep practice test/guide, and practiced writing essays fast.  The main thing is going fast enough so you don't run out of time.

The military pass rate on that test is 75%, and do what I said above, your odds should be around 90% of passing the test.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Arto
After participating in this thread caused me to reassess my own options, I'm now personally planning to take the CLEP Composition exam in the next month or so. That seems like the best option for quick English credits. Despite earning over 120 credits so far, I don't have English I or II done yet. They're the only two things on Sophia that I never finished, besides the new courses. I signed up for the ASU ULC/EA ENG courses a few times but did not engage much. Even without taking English, I'm able to complete college level writing assignments just fine. I also earned a perfect score on the ACT reading exam back in high school. Thanks to ASU and Strayer, I'll be okay for RA credits.

My only concerns are the exam length and getting the essays done. Due to my health, I am unable to sit upright at a desk or table for long periods of time. I doubt that I could do this whole thing in one sitting. Also, whipping out two quick essays will be challenging. I can write well, but doing so takes me quite a bit of time and procrastinating.
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
A quick look online says that you have about 2 hours to take the exam: 55 minutes for the questions and 70 minutes for the 2 essays. You should be able to get accommodations for your health issues but I don't know how many hoops you'd need to jump through to do that or if 2 hours would work fine for you.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
(05-11-2021, 08:28 PM)jch Wrote: Also, whipping out two quick essays will be challenging. I can write well, but doing so takes me quite a bit of time and procrastinating.

Sometimes it helps to just practice writing outlines ONLY.  You should be able to whip up a quick outline in just 5 minutes.  Then writing the essay is a matter of filling in the blanks once your outline is done.  

The format I used was each part of my essay was 3-4 sentences.  Intro, 3 paragraphs for body, and then the conclusion.

Here are some sample topics (fair use) from the Peterson Guide to practice writing essays with:
1. The role of technology in our lives today: Have we become too dependent?
2. Single-sex education: Is it more beneficial than coed education?
3. Qualities of a hero: What are the most important?  Why?

The process of writing an essay according to Peterson
1. Read  2m  (take in and understand the topic)
2. Plan 5m  (mentally plan what to write and/or outline)
3. Write 25m
4. Proofread 5m

One person on here made a mistake, hit submit, and ended up turning in a blank essay and still passed.  Just put your head down get through it and should be fine with this exam.

Just remember when your writing to have some fun and lying is ok   Big Grin
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jch
(05-11-2021, 08:34 PM)rachel83az Wrote: A quick look online says that you have about 2 hours to take the exam: 55 minutes for the questions and 70 minutes for the 2 essays. You should be able to get accommodations for your health issues but I don't know how many hoops you'd need to jump through to do that or if 2 hours would work fine for you.

I definitely can't handle 2 hours. The hour+ I sat for the CompTIA exam earlier this year was my limit.

Anyone who has taken CLEP composition before: were breaks included? I'm thinking there may be some built in between the parts, but I'm not sure.

The exam from home information states that unscheduled rest breaks are not allowed without accomodations. Also they say to expect two months for accomodations to be approved... Sigh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Degree Plan - BA English aperantosbias 10 672 09-16-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA in English xianbd 8 1,002 03-23-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Software Engineering alternative mt_1994 14 1,174 03-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Tesu English 102 credit Sb2013 12 1,301 03-05-2023, 12:05 PM
  English Comp II requirement? Insert Name 5 716 07-15-2022, 04:47 PM
  CS associate degree Alternative gams007 2 797 12-31-2021, 01:17 PM
  Alternative Capstone - Academic Community Impact scorpion 31 7,257 12-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Alternative places to take American Government, Calculus to be transferred into TESU? StudentOLife 27 3,834 04-25-2021, 07:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Alternative credits TESU General Ed onlinelearner99 5 1,410 04-02-2021, 02:32 PM
  TESU English Comp I and II Msybrown 5 1,788 08-17-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: cgreen275