Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep
The requirement are not spelled out clear enough. Before the exam I made sure I had everything need to take it, I even contacted proctor U. Then I log on and I need my ID and a mirror?? What the heck. So then I scramble around my house looking for those things, because that isn't explained any where. That was frustrating! There is no advice any where for people like me who have never taken tests like this. There needs to be a better explanation from TESC about these tests and proctor U needs to be knowledgeable about the tests they proctor.
The reflective surface requirement is listed on their getting started guide (https://www.proctoru.com/howitworks.php) option 5 of their pre-exam checklist. It's designed to prevent people from putting notes on their computer monitor. I'm not sure about TESC's information / involvement as I have only taken SL courses so far. I have yet to take a TECEP. Hopefully you passed tho!
Hello, back on topic--

Does anyone have any more updates, or tips on what topics were the most important when you took the TECEP? I've acquired 3 of the 4 textbooks and have been reading through them, as I don't really enjoy reading material online, but as other noted before, it's hard to know what to focus on. I've been heavily relying on the study guide/test description pdf.

I hope to take this within the next week or two, but want to make sure I'm adequately prepared before I risk the units (which will translate into $1000 out of my pocket if I have to take it again... don't want that to happen).

Also, how do you check your TECEP score? I took the Psychology of Women and passed it, but I haven't been able to figure out where the results are at.
Bloom Wrote:Hello, back on topic--

Does anyone have any more updates, or tips on what topics were the most important when you took the TECEP? I've acquired 3 of the 4 textbooks and have been reading through them, as I don't really enjoy reading material online, but as other noted before, it's hard to know what to focus on. I've been heavily relying on the study guide/test description pdf.

I hope to take this within the next week or two, but want to make sure I'm adequately prepared before I risk the units (which will translate into $1000 out of my pocket if I have to take it again... don't want that to happen).

Also, how do you check your TECEP score? I took the Psychology of Women and passed it, but I haven't been able to figure out where the results are at.

scores are located on the same moodle page as where you took the test. Click the button that that is an A+, then a small drop down will come down,really easy to miss, top left says USER REPORT click it will have your grade

As far as what to study. Take the final on Saylor and copy the main term in each question and get yourself a definition of each one.
terms that I remember it hit pretty hard
Copenhagen Accord
Biocentric/ecocentric preservation vs anthropologic
metaethics
Deep Ecology
Gaia Theory
Environmental Justice
Tragedy of the commons
sustainable development & its model
a lot of books,
John Muir -The Yosemite vs Gifford Pinchot – The Fight for Conservation
Erin Brockovich
Rachel Carson - Silent Spring
Ruth Harrison-Animal Machines
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
XD just got my grade, only took a week...73% Good enough for me Smile 65% is passing.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
I've landed 74%. Thanks for your help, gingerbeefE!

For anyone else browsing this thread, here are the books I read and my thoughts about them.
Environmental Ethics: What Really Matters, What Really Works by Schmidtz. (2nd edition, Current edition as of this posting.) This was a good book and it gave me a lot of foundation on the theoretical and ethical proponents of environment. Very few of the essays were actually engaging, but I at least skimmed through every essay and took down the main element of each. Gave a really good foundation of justice, ecofeminism, and alternate views on environmentalism (eg, one essay proposed that nuclear energy is the greenest kind of energy because it takes up the least space and gives off the least amount of pollution).

Environment: The Science Behind the Stories by Withgott. I got the 3rd edition because it was cheap and I was running out of time. This was a good textbook, especially the first few and last few chapters. Some of the chapters on like, the biology of a cell, are kind of useless, so skim through those. It helped me understand things like what fossil fuels really are, and how the science part of the environment worked. The textbook was a little heavy-handed at times, but at the very least it gave me some really good examples to use in my essays. It's a big textbook. But thank God it has lots of graphs and pictures. If I were to re-do this with foresight, I would have rented the most recent version. The questions the TECEP asks you regarding international and American environmental policy are either the forerunners or the most recent laws. It said a lot about the Bush administration's effects on environmental policy--it would have been interesting to have a modern version talk about what the Obama administration had done in effect to the environment. Would have won me a few test questions, too.

Principles of Environmental Science: Inquiry and Applications by Cunningham. I got the 4th edition from my library. Skip it and get the book by Withgott instead. The one by Withgott goes over all of the same information with better depth and graphs that are easier to understand.

Other things I did was watch Erin Brockovich and a 1-hour documentary on Silent Spring I got from the library. I was glad I had watched these.

So the textbooks will mostly cover you if you're taking this TECEP. One thing that was annoying was that I was asked 4 different questions on religious stances toward the environment, which I didn't know, which were probably on the Saylor site. That's 4 points missed right there. But I had no issues with the essay questions. The essays were much longer than the Psych of Women essays, though. I read these books over about a 4-5 week period, focusing on this class only.

Good luck to anyone else taking it.
I went through the Saylor course and took this TECEP last month. Annoyingly some of the Saylor lecture material was AWOL, and there were big holes in the final exam (missing text in questions and answers). They need to start hosting the material themselves, and taking more care. Got an 85 on the Saylor final, but had less than perfect confidence I could pass the TECEP. I had no more time to study (and hated the sight of the material by then), and decided that if I didn't pass it, I would take the course. Got an 80 and got credit.

The essays weren't too challenging as long as you knew what they were talking about. For example, one prompt was about the tragedy of the commons, and if you didn't know what it was, it would be rough sledding. You have to make a solid study effort on this one to pass...which makes sense it being a UL course. I was kinda wishing I had just done the Ethics in America DSST (which has flashcards!), but I got to take the TECEP for free under my comprehensive plan...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I just finished this exam and I am waiting for my results. I used gingerbeef's post as a guide and I am glad I did! My experience did alter slightly. Ruth Harrison, Copenhagen Accord, and Erin Brockovich were nowhere to be found on my test. I also did have about 4 or 5 questions on relating environmental ethics with religion. The rest of gingerbeefs post was all accounted for on my test. I felt very good about the test and found it rather easy (hopefully I don't jinx myself here!) despite very poor study. Other than a quick youtube here or wiki there, Saylor was my only other study source and I spent about 3 hours total on there.
johnvan Wrote:I wrote and passed this with an 88% a couple of weeks ago. This was the 7th and final TECEP I had to write. In comparison to the others, it was the most difficult because there wasn't a single textbook you could use like the others I wrote. The most difficult part of the studying was not knowing what areas to concentrate on the most. The essay questions were a bit of a wildcard, unlike multiple choice a lucky guess won't do. I really enjoyed the course and often read additional material that wasn't included in Saylor.
3 of the 4 essay questions were things that I had studied, the remaining one was on something I had never heard of. I wrote a few sentences using a lot of words from the question itself and mixed in a few other things keeping it as vague as possible. I'm curious how I did on that one, it looks like I must have gotten a few points based on my final grade.
If you're not sure if this course is for you, spend a bit of time reading about things like Hetch Hetchy (Muir/Pinchot), Aldo Leopold's The Land Ethic, Garret Hardin's Tragedy of the Commons. (Those aren't the essay questions, just a few topics to give you a feel for the course) If you find the material fascinating, go for it. If it's a total bore for you, maybe choose something else.

Hey, what were your essay questions? Do you remember? What kinds of info did the test focus on? Thanks
I took this TECEP tonight. I spent about 3 weeks on the Saylor course beforehand, easily passing the ACE credit exam on there.
I am confident that I passed this TECEP. Essay questions were straightforward.
The test basically touched on everything from the Saylor course. Not many surprises.
I'll update this post when I get my score.
Finished: BA Liberal Studies TESU 2016

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." - Earl Nightingale

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,368 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,753 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,996 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,808 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,718 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,200 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,872 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,524 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew
  Cheapest TECEP sarahrahul 4 1,648 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: davewill