Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essay questions on tests
I'm taking a class at TESC, which starts today, and for the tests I know that I'll need to answer a couple of essay quetions. I'm embarassed to say it but it's been YEARS since I've done that and I wanted to know if there is a certain way that it's supposed to be done? Perhaps a writing style website or something that can help? Thanks.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Depending on your major *or* the subject matter of the class, you'll likely be told that you need to do your papers in either APA or MLA format.

The Purdue OWL website is an awesome resource for information on writing papers, and it has info on the two formats as well. (In fact, my Research & Writing professor has given my class reading assignments for a few sections on there.) I also had used it before taking this class to prep myself for the MLA requirement for the UExcel College Writing test.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
IrishJohn Wrote:I'm taking a class at TESC, which starts today, and for the tests I know that I'll need to answer a couple of essay questions. I'm embarrassed to say it but it's been YEARS since I've done that and I wanted to know if there is a certain way that it's supposed to be done? Perhaps a writing style website or something that can help? Thanks.
>>

OK, for exam essays, you will not be using APA style. Exam essays are just that-essays- they are not research papers. So, forget that part.

Typically, you are either going to have short answer essay questions or long essay answer questions. Your instructor will indicate what he wants. For example, a short answer essay will be about 1 paragraph. A paragraph is 5 sentences. (I'm old school, I'd never write 4, but sometimes 6 is OK)

A long essay is going to fall under 5 paragraph essay style. Why 5 paragraph? Because it's what people are taught in English 101. It's considered the standard format. It is my opinion, that they will rarely ding you with mechanics if you use a 5 paragraph essay and have reasonable legibility (remember, these will be hand written) only a few spelling errors, and can remember to use a period. Smile I did have a TESC instructor give me a 99 on an essay once. He deducted a point for a misspelled word, and didn't say a single thing good or bad concerning the 4 pages I just turned in. But what can I say, lazy anal teachers are everywhere.

For 5 paragraph essays, these are going to be found in exams that require a long-well constructed argument or explanation about a topic. I had a few at TESC. They will allow you a page or two, and expect you to answer a question that they provide. Look for clues in the question as to what approach you take. Here is an example:

Blah blah blah, which differs from blah blah blah, which do you think is the stronger argument? *they want your opinion, but presented with hard facts as to why one argument is stronger than another.

Compare and contrast blah blah blah. *this is not an opinion, this is simply comparing 2 things. For example, comparing democrats and republicans.

Explain the 5 levels of blah blah blah. *Again, not opinion. The teacher is asking for you to regurgitate what you memorized and throw in an example of each level.

So, the structure of a 5 paragraph essay is an opener (paragraph 1) supporting paragraphs (2-3-4) and a closer/summary (5). You can google "5 paragraph essay" and you'll land a million hits.

A short essay, in my opinion, can follow the same concept, but with sentences rather than paragraphs. For instance, an opening statement (sentence 1) supporting sentences (2-3-4) and a closing sentence. If you google how to write an essay, you'll get more than you need. In my opinion, practice the 5 paragraph essay. If you can do that, you can do a single paragraph.

Good luck to you!!
Whoops.. he said essay questions... on tests... It would have been nice if he had put that in the titl... oh, wait... Whoops..

Sorry, I'm running on no sleep and still fighting the same database mentioned in the Pell grant post last night..:p

:ack:
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:Whoops.. he said essay questions... on tests... It would have been nice if he had put that in the titl... oh, wait... Whoops..

Sorry, I'm running on no sleep and still fighting the same database mentioned in the Pell grant post last night..:p

:ack:
>>

lol it's all good
Thanks Jennifer, you are truly a godsend on these boards! Wink

Do you know of any websites that might have some samples I can look at?
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
A friend of mine who teaches English 101 made up a template to help students write a 5 paragraph essay. I tried to attach it here but it is a little to big. Send me an e-mail to Lindager@hotmail.com put Essay in the subject and I will send you a copy.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
IrishJohn Wrote:Thanks Jennifer, you are truly a godsend on these boards! Wink

Do you know of any websites that might have some samples I can look at?
>>

Not off the top of my head, but get Linda's template and see if that helps. If not, I'll post a few samples.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,199 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,725 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,027 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,676 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,946 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  questions for my friend's son maplefu 4 1,328 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 9,067 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,632 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  TESU and Study.com partnership/discount specific questions Tripletmom 9 3,378 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,101 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy