Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior College - new exam - Introduction to Computer Programming Using Java
well it's new to me at least

Link : Excelsior College | Introduction to Computer Programming Using Java

when in the world did this happen ?

Description: This examination measures knowledge and understanding of material typically taught in a lower-level undergraduate course in Computer Programming. The content of the exam corresponds with course offerings such as Introduction to Computer programming, Computer Science I or Introductory programming using object oriented programming/Java. Students are expected to have basic proficiency in computer use and in the applications (such as any Java IDE) they will use to help prepare for this examination. This examination tests for comprehension and understanding of Introduction to programming in pursuit of organizational goals and strategies. The exam specifically tests for an understanding of computer and software organization; the software development process; variables, constants, primitive data types, expressions and operators; control statements; modularity and function design; linear data structures; object oriented design, classes and objects; and files in the Java language. (Multiple-Choice examination)

Exam Type: Multiple Choice

Credit / Level: 3.0 / Lower

Exam Fee: $95*

Exam content guide for this exam available soon.
I wonder if it will duplicate Saylor's CS101 - Introduction to Comp.Science I (NCCRS approved) course?

CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I | Saylor Academy
lavagirl Wrote:I wonder if it will duplicate Saylor's CS101 - Introduction to Comp.Science I (NCCRS approved) course?

CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I | Saylor Academy

It depends on the school and how closely they read the course descriptions. The CC I attended, TESC, and COSC all see my Principles of CS II (taught in Java) and Intro Object Oriented Programming in Java as two seperate classes even though they covered the same material.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:It depends on the school and how closely they read the course descriptions. The CC I attended, TESC, and COSC all see my Principles of CS II (taught in Java) and Intro Object Oriented Programming in Java as two seperate classes even though they covered the same material.

Can you be so kind to tell how TESC transcribed Principles of CS II (taught in Java) and Intro Object Oriented Programming in Java ?
lavagirl Wrote:Can you be so kind to tell how TESC transcribed Principles of CS II (taught in Java) and Intro Object Oriented Programming in Java ?

CAP-238 Object Oriented Programming
COS-103 Computer Science II

Both of these are 4 credits for me, so they do not fit into the programming requirement for the BSBA:CIS. I'm hopping that once I complete the 12 UL credits, they will move into the requirement.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

the content guide has been released

https://my.excelsior.edu/documents/78666..._Java.pdf/
So, I'm a Software Engineer who programs in Java. I got bored and decided to look over their practice problems and found 4 broken test questions.

2) The name System can be used. The pre-existing System is in the java.lang package, but someone could create their own System class in any package with another name and use it fine.
If you create a "System" class inside your own package named "java.lang" you immediately lose access to the pre existing "System" class though.

9) Does not show "the method below", making it impossible to answer.

16) The purpose of the File class is to get access to file on the disk. It cannot store data on the disk, you would need FileWriter, BufferedWriter, etc.. To store data on the disk. The File class allows you to check a file's permissions, delete a file, create an empty file, see if a file exists, and a hand full of other features, none of which allow you to write to the file.

18) This answer isn't entirely true. I just tested this with a BufferedWriter and as long as you use the "flush" method, which puts your data into the file and saves the file, then your data will be saved fine, so using the "close" method isn't needed to save the data. This is because the "close" and "flush" methods both use the "flushBuffer" method to save data.

I really wish companies would check their tests more thoroughly...
I'm a 19 year old, Software Engineer, who is enrolled at TESC for a B.A. in Computer Science. My bachelors coursework is completed and I am waiting for graduation to roll around. Will start pursuing ALM in Information Technology with a concentration in Software Engineering from Harvard Extension School sometime in the coming year.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,936 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,804 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,995 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,854 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 943 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1