Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh Start on BSBA Finance. How do I strategize for future?
Hey guys,

So I have a few questions as I begin this journey. I am pursuing a BSBA in Finance at TESU with zero credits that are transferrable. I also have a $5,000 Tuition reimbursement from my job that I want to make use of this year.

1. I am looking to move fast on this. I have seen another post where someone finished in under 6 months, however this was a BSBA in General Management. Is it possible to do the same with Finance?

2. I will be trying to max my test out credits, so with that being said, what is the best option for tuition with my urgency (and passion) in mind? Should I do as much credits as possible before I enroll?

3. Most importantly, I want to pursue a Masters or Ph.D in Economics. I'm not sure if getting the Finance degree would give me a heads up vs. General Management, but I expect there will be some coursework that I will need to do to catch up to the program. My logic is, get the BSBA done ASAP with good marks, do substantial credits not just "easy" fillers and then get into a Graduate program and take it from there. What do you guys think is the best approach to this?

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!
Have you looked at the typical prerequisites for graduate programs in economics? You might need certain economics courses. You might need a related degree. One thing that you might need, in general, is a certain number of graded credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks Sanantone for the response. So here is what I have so far from speaking to a friend in admissions at a good NYC Uni and some googling..

1. Math needed: Linear algebra, Multivariable calculus, Statistics (good to have also: Ordinary differential equations, Real analysis)
2. High GRE score in Math
3. Principles of economics, intermediate microeconomics, and intermediate macroeconomics (I don't think these are offered at TESU)

Also, some things that would help me get into a great Ph.D program vs. Masters (I was told getting a Masters before Ph.D in Economics is not necessary):

1. Become a research assistant for an Economist or a related institution

With this information, do you think I could/should do the economics classes required at another school and transfer them for this degree? Is it possible to do that and would that be considered Learner Designed?

Thanks!
singhrr Wrote:Thanks Sanantone for the response. So here is what I have so far from speaking to a friend in admissions at a good NYC Uni and some googling..

1. Math needed: Linear algebra, Multivariable calculus, Statistics (good to have also: Ordinary differential equations, Real analysis)
2. High GRE score in Math
3. Principles of economics, intermediate microeconomics, and intermediate macroeconomics (I don't think these are offered at TESU)

Also, some things that would help me get into a great Ph.D program vs. Masters (I was told getting a Masters before Ph.D in Economics is not necessary):

1. Become a research assistant for an Economist or a related institution

With this information, do you think I could/should do the economics classes required at another school and transfer them for this degree? Is it possible to do that and would that be considered Learner Designed?

Thanks!

TESU has an economics major, but they don't offer all of the required courses. You can take them elsewhere and transfer them to TESU. A learner-designed area of study is when you basically create a major that doesn't exist at TESU. However, it is not an official major that will show up on your transcript.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Thanks, I am not seeing it on their website, but that would be great. Do you think it makes a difference what the official major is, once the course requirements are met?
singhrr Wrote:Thanks, I am not seeing it on their website, but that would be great. Do you think it makes a difference what the official major is, once the course requirements are met?

I'm just now noticing that they removed economics. TESU has degrees that can be completed entirely through their courses and degrees that will require courses from other sources, but I don't see economics anywhere on the website now. The next best option with them would be a social science degree that will allow up to 18 credits in economics.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,780 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,045 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,024 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,680 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 1,862 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BSBA GM Completion Timeline dexter1326 9 2,294 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
  Help planning a TESU BSBA degree plan kietro 11 5,031 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: kietro
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,506 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,150 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU - BSBA Easiest Path to Obtain for BS degree? acamp 9 2,537 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM