Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have any DegreeForum alumni went on to teach in Japan?
I know there are a few of us that got on this forum and got a degree (or are working on one) to teach abroad. Just not sure I'd seen anyone explicitly mention Japan. I've got family over there and getting onto a program like JET would be ideal. I guess I don't have a question so much as general anxiety towards the application process which starts pretty soon. I've got to work on trying to get a letter from TESU showing I'm expected to graduate in December though (since I cut it too close for September). Anyone had to do that? Is it similar to proof of enrollment?

I'd love to hear anything about some of us that went on to teach abroad or are planning to or anything really! I'm sleep deprived and initially asked a question about JET that turned out to be on their FAQ...
This is something that I'm worried about myself, but I plan on teaching in South Korea instead of Japan through the TALK program before I actually finish my degree. For that you have to send in a copy of your transcript. I'm slightly stressed about it because of all the classes I'll have on my transcripts that won't be taken through TESU. If I wasn't so impatient about going back to Korea, I'd just wait until I finished my degree to avoid having to send anything besides a copy of the degree itself.

I plan on knocking out at least 60 credits in order to get into the teacher's program and if I'm accepted then work as an English teacher in Korea for at least six months while finishing up the rest of my credits. After that... I'm not too sure, I like to keep my plans somewhat open-ended. Maybe I'll decide to apply for the EPIK program to continue teaching there longer or teach in Japan or China or pursue something entirely different.
GOAL 
University: UMPI
Degree: BLS Project Management
COMPLETED CREDITS 56/120
Rowan College @ BC | English Comp. I (3 cr.)
The Institutes | 312N-H Ethics  (2cr.)
Study.com | Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace (3 cr.)
ALEKS | College Algebra (3 cr.)
NFA | Q0118 - Community Safety Educators  (1 cr.)
TEEX | Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301 (6cr.)
Sophia | Principles of Finance, Art History II, U.S. History I, Intro. to Nutrition, Art History 1, Environmental Science, Intro to Web Development, Approaches to Studying Religion, Visual Communications, Intro. To Information Technologies, Intro. to Business, Ancient Greek Philosophy, Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict  (38 cr.)
(09-19-2018, 03:05 AM)ISKBizz15 Wrote: This is something that I'm worried about myself, but I plan on teaching in South Korea instead of Japan through the TALK program before I actually finish my degree. For that you have to send in a copy of your transcript. I'm slightly stressed about it because of all the classes I'll have on my transcripts that won't be taken through TESU. If I wasn't so impatient about going back to Korea, I'd just wait until I finished my degree to avoid having to send anything besides a copy of the degree itself.

I plan on knocking out at least 60 credits in order to get into the teacher's program and if I'm accepted then work as an English teacher in Korea for at least six months while finishing up the rest of my credits. After that... I'm not too sure, I like to keep my plans somewhat open-ended. Maybe I'll decide to apply for the EPIK program to continue teaching there longer or teach in Japan or China or pursue something entirely different.

The transcript was something I was super worried about initially for JET. but apparently you can use the transcript from the school you graduate from as long as all your classes have names, dates and number of credits earned. I remember seeing this for EPIK as well. I can't really find it on the TALK website but I've neither looked for very long nor been awake for long, aha. It's worth an ask if it's not on the site, but if your final transcript has everything, I doubt it'll be a problem. Otherwise people who went from junior colleges/community colleges to a university would be in the same hypothetical boat.

Best of luck!
I have considered applying as well, but since I just applied to TESU in the last month, it does seem like a bit of a crunch to get any documentation to JET. If not JET, then I will apply to other companies/schools down the road. I am also open to other countries, but have been to Japan twice, so I do have an interest in the country.

When they are asking for your transcripts, all they need is the one from TESU is what I gather. You don't need your ACE transcript etc. TESU should be able to issue you a transcript, it's just not going to have any actual grades on it. Do they charge for this? (I would assume so).

I would need some sort of letter of expected graduation as well. I am not sure how this would work, as I still need other classes, plus the capstone. It's not as structured as it would be to obtain in a normal B&M college. I read that the degree is only required by July for JET, so there is definitely time.

One thing about the JET program is, while the pay is decent and I heard the job is fairly easy for the most part, you don't have any choice about where you will end up. I heard basically nobody ever gets their 3 choices of preference. Most people get placed out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere, where they actually need English teachers. Very few people ever get placed close to the major cities, as everyone wants these places.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(09-19-2018, 08:00 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: When they are asking for your transcripts, all they need is the one from TESU is what I gather. You don't need your ACE transcript etc. TESU should be able to issue you a transcript, it's just not going to have any actual grades on it. Do they charge for this? (I would assume so).

I would need some sort of letter of expected graduation as well. I am not sure how this would work, as I still need other classes, plus the capstone. It's not as structured as it would be to obtain in a normal B&M college. I read that the degree is only required by July for JET, so there is definitely time.

Yeah, I actually found the transcript page just now. Seems a transcript costs $15, takes 'within five days' to process said transcript, then gets shipped standard mail unless you opt for the overnight FedEx option for 'an additional cost'.

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/re...transcript

About the expected graduation term letter, I'm really not sure an advisor or anyone would really do it if it's self-paced courses or exams they're waiting on. Definitely worth an ask though, since it's expected graduation and not guaranteed  graduation. Maybe they'd even address the tentative nature of it in the letter, which may not be ideal. But at least since JET wants everything going to the Japanese embassy going at once, you would get to read it first.

(09-19-2018, 08:00 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: One thing about the JET program is, while the pay is decent and I heard the job is fairly easy for the most part, you don't have any choice about where you will end up. I heard basically nobody ever gets their 3 choices of preference. Most people get placed out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere, where they actually need English teachers. Very few people ever get placed close to the major cities, as everyone wants these places.

I appreciate the heads up! I'm definitely cool with going where I'm needed. Plus the bullet train going from northern-most cities to southern-most cities (including stops) is like 20 hours. It's like 20,000 square miles smaller than California, which is still big, but I'd say travel is definitely attainable. Not that my time-management skills really fit my thought process, but it'll get there, haha
As long as they finish my evaluation and know how many credits I have left to obtain, I would assume they should be able to issue me a letter, but no standard college terms other than the capstone definitely makes it a bit different. 

Japan has a good transportation system, yes, but the shinkansen is not cheap. It's not something you would be using regularly for weekend trips to Tokyo if you are stationed in Northern Japan.
Credits:
(09-20-2018, 07:55 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: As long as they finish my evaluation and know how many credits I have left to obtain, I would assume they should be able to issue me a letter, but no standard college terms other than the capstone definitely makes it a bit different. 

Japan has a good transportation system, yes, but the shinkansen is not cheap. It's not something you would be using regularly for weekend trips to Tokyo if you are stationed in Northern Japan.

Definitely let us know! I'm sure someone will have the same questions we do later on.

Ah, yeah. Point taken. I looked at a shinkansen fare calculator, so definitely not every weekend. I looked at gas prices, too, which is like double per liter what I'm used to paying, but with something fuel-efficient like a motorcycle or Vespa it'd still work out to be cheaper than my current commutes in a car. I assume being able to bus/train everywhere is strictly a major city thing anyway?
Local commuting to your school in a car is one thing, but driving further in Japan is pretty costly. Parking spaces are expensive and basically every highway has expensive tolls.

I'm Canadian, so I am not sure how it would work with you, but Canada and some other countries have an agreement where we can have our drivers license transferred over to a Japanese license. America doesn't have this option. I think you would either need to obtain an international drivers permit or go through drivers testing to obtain a Japanese license (which I have heard is not super easy).

I've heard if you are placed in a rural area, driving is pretty much a necessity and they will help cover the costs, but it depends on the board of education you are placed with. I have heard of JET's purchasing a vehicle as well. K-cars are pretty cheap.

Most towns have a bus system, but yes, only the major cities have a subway system. You can take a train pretty much anywhere in Japan, but those trains are not going to be local trains.
Credits:
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • leland.kirk
I appreciate all the input!

From what I understand about 'converting' American drivers' licenses to Japanese equivalents, you can get a provisional/temporary license for a couple months but ultimately have to take a test. The international driver's licenses are kind of a mixed bag, like I'm hearing you can't use it for more than a year, can't use it when residing in Japan at all (from sources other than the embassy site), and can't use it if you exit then return to Japan. Any of these could mean getting charged with driving without a license apparently. So obviously being able to convert your license is ideal, but not really thing for most Americans. Motorcycle licenses do convert though! Sometimes they require a test, and sometimes they only license for certain CCs (I think American ones convert to the ones that's under 400)
No problem. I don't know too much about the licensing since I know it isn't an issue for me. Yeah, an IDP can only be used for a year.

I have been there multiple times and I have had an interest since high school.
I was considering going again next month, as I have 2 weeks off work, but I feel like it would be better for me to just focus on course work full time during these weeks if my goal is to go there at some point next year anyways.

EPIK in South Korea is supposed to be pretty good too. Taiwan is supposed to be decent as well. I also know a family friend teaching at an international school in Thailand who supposedly makes pretty good coin. Having an actual teachers license definitely opens up more doors.
Credits:
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • leland.kirk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,801 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU Alumni Happy Hour in NYC jane_eyre11 2 1,446 07-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Degree Plan: TESU vs DegreeForum :) acamp 9 3,707 03-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  DegreeForum mentioned on the TESU blog! aviator guy 27 5,793 02-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: MSinger Tesc
  How many donate to their school as alumni? Life Long Learning 7 2,256 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  TESU Alumni Association email Aurelius 3 1,480 06-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/The_Basic_Approach celinehoran 2 858 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Thank you degreeforum! Vaeal 8 1,376 10-03-2016, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Vaeal
  Fast-track degree for Japan working visa Paul_Zed 19 3,054 07-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Paul_Zed
  Big 3 Notable alumni Life Long Learning 7 1,855 06-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Bibby