Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello there! Starting at zero and looking to complete a Bachelor's!
Hello and thank you for putting together such a helpful community! I've been lurking for a few days, trying to wrap my head around how all this works, and I've decided that the best thing to do it to just jump right in and get started. In that vein...

I'm looking to get this degree done ASAP. I am a pilot, and while I can get by without a degree, if I want any upward career mobility - essentially, heading to a major airline - a Bachelor's is an absolute necessity. That said, the airlines couldn't care less exactly what the degree is in (it's just a box to check for them), and so I'm open to whatever I could get done in the shortest amount of time. Cost is a factor, but time overrides cost within reason, in my case.

With that goal in mind, what is the best way to get started? What degree programs should I be considering? So far, I've looked at TESU's BSBA/General Management, as that seems to be the "go-to," but I'm not sure about a degree plan. What sources of credit are the quickest/easiest? Do I need to enroll at TESU right now, or should I be finishing all the credits I can first and then transferring it all in when I enroll? (Insert several more questions I have yet to think of!!!)

Feel free to ask me anything that might be useful!

Again, thanks for your help! I love the sense of community here. Blue skies! Smile
I mostly lurk, but do you have any strong dislike for any specific areas such as math, composition, etc.? If you want to get the cheapest possible Charter Oak might be the cheapest since they still take the free FEMA online courses raw. You can get approximately 20 free elective units that way. The Institutes also offers a free 2 unit insurance (ethics) 2 unit class to get you started. There are several degree plans on the forum's wiki. However, Charter Oak limits the number of non-liberal arts credits to 60 for a BS degree, and you have to complete 30 upper division units. TESU requires fewer upper division credits, but they don't take the free FEMA credits (which are supposed to be easy). TEEX also offers six free units in cybersecurity. You can also do an individualized degree plan which mixes applied (non-liberal arts area) with a liberal arts area at COSC (Charter Oak).

The thing is when you are starting from scratch, it is difficult to know how to guide you other than to decide if Charter Oak will work for you since there are approximately 20 free credits you can get there. What have you learned or seen on degreeforum so far that interests you or do you have more questions. Others here are much more able to answer your questions than I am.
Look in these threads:

http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...rship.html

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-info.html
I know that TESU has lots of programs for people in Aviation, so you may want to take a look at them: Can Your FAA Certifications Get You College Credit?

I would probably see if EC and COSC also have degrees which will use any certifications that you already have. For some of the TESU programs, you can get your entire Area of Study completed with certs, and just need to get your 60cr in Gen Ed, which would be a piece of cake!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
12save Wrote:I mostly lurk, but do you have any strong dislike for any specific areas such as math, composition, etc.? If you want to get the cheapest possible Charter Oak might be the cheapest since they still take the free FEMA online courses raw. You can get approximately 20 free elective units that way. The Institutes also offers a free 2 unit insurance (ethics) 2 unit class to get you started. There are several degree plans on the forum's wiki. However, Charter Oak limits the number of non-liberal arts credits to 60 for a BS degree, and you have to complete 30 upper division units. TESU requires fewer upper division credits, but they don't take the free FEMA credits (which are supposed to be easy). TEEX also offers six free units in cybersecurity. You can also do an individualized degree plan which mixes applied (non-liberal arts area) with a liberal arts area at COSC (Charter Oak).

The thing is when you are starting from scratch, it is difficult to know how to guide you other than to decide if Charter Oak will work for you since there are approximately 20 free credits you can get there. What have you learned or seen on degreeforum so far that interests you or do you have more questions. Others here are much more able to answer your questions than I am.

I hadn't heard too much about Charter Oak, honestly. It seems like most of the folks here have been going to TESU, so I assumed that that was essentially the choice, if that makes sense. I guess I'll have to see what I can get done through them, then!

As far as any strong subject areas I'd like to avoid... Anything with an emphasis on writing. I heavily tend towards STEM stuff, generally speaking, but with that said, I don't mind writing too terribly much either.

dfrecore Wrote:I know that TESU has lots of programs for people in Aviation, so you may want to take a look at them: Can Your FAA Certifications Get You College Credit?

I would probably see if EC and COSC also have degrees which will use any certifications that you already have. For some of the TESU programs, you can get your entire Area of Study completed with certs, and just need to get your 60cr in Gen Ed, which would be a piece of cake!

Thanks for the tip, I'm looking at them now! The biggest thing I'm seeing there is the physics + lab requirements, but it looks like my aeronautical ratings will take off most of the area of study. How would I go about doing science labs online, though?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,827 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,381 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Associates from one/Bachelor's from Another ReyMysterioso 13 3,014 06-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Need Help - Bachelor’s Degree BSBRose21 2 2,960 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM
  Excelsior College - B.S. in Engineering Technology Degree [Complete] Wallerstein 4 4,835 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Please help with second Bachelor's degree. URGENT PLEASE! drashrafaziz 19 3,338 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Almost done, last 10% of bachelor's CamXoai 14 2,966 01-15-2018, 12:08 PM
  Excelsior 117 Transfer Bachelor Option harrypotter 2 1,517 01-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Just starting I need help tobyisking 19 3,369 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM
  Looking for fastest Associates or Bachelor marco1 16 3,839 12-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning