Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you know about CLEP?
I first heard about CLEP while in the Navy. But I had no clue of the DSSTs. I learned about them from my advisor here in Bangor, WA. I am studying like heck to do my first one.
Interesting, earlier, someone mentioned about the college losing money by not recommending or advertising these tests. I did a tour as an officer recruiter (I am enlisted) and dealt with many colleges and universities in Utah. I have come to realize that they are all about money. Trying to make a buck. Now I picture some person sitting back in his chair, counting money and laughing at all the students. For example, in 2002, the Winter Olympics were held in Salt Lake City. Millions were spent to build the Olympic Village near a major university. After the Olympics were over, the village was donated (could not be sold as per IOC guidelines) to the university and they still charge students alot of money to live there.
Even my own university is about money. We take two courses, one in class on weekends and one through email. That costs about $1000 to take the 2 courses for a half of semester. There are 30 students in my class and with very few exceptions, we all take the same subjects. They don't pay for the classroom at the training faciility. The graduate student that does the online email thing with us, under a college professor gets a reduction in their tuition for their grad classes.
A local professor is hired and they pay him from $1000 to $2000 per class. These are weekend classes keep in mind. So over all, the college rakes in $30,000 and expends about $5,000 over all. They do this 6 times a year. So $150,000 is made at my site alone. They have 15 sites at different military bases. That comes to roughly $2.25 million a year. :eek: And they still have their major campus with 25,000 students.
For the college administrators, its not about the education, its about the money! College is more of a business!

Just my $0.02
Joe
Yeah, why do you think that most colleges only accept 15-45 credits from CLEP or other tests? They would only get a measly $15-50 proctor fee, or no money at all if you took it somewhere else! Whereas, if you take traditional classes, you will pay $30,000- $200,000 to get your bachelors.
[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Traditional Credits: 95
Test Credits: 33
Time Saved: 1 1/2 years![/COLOR][/SIZE]
CLEP Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, Introductory Psychology, ECE Human Resource management, ECE Organizational Behavior, Intro to Business, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Money and Banking, Business Law II
[SIZE="6"]DONE![/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"]
B.S. Individualized Studies, COSC[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
The military makes great efforts to let everyone know that they fund CLEP exams through DANTES, and yet I meet so many people in who have no clue how to go about cleppin' it...now I send emails out to everyone in my unit encouraging them to pursue their degrees through distance education, soon I will inform everyone about instantcert
I am currently taking the sole brick & mortar class needed for my bachelor’s degree, it's English Composition. I'm taking it because it's faster than waiting 2 months for Excelsior to grade an ECE English Comp test:confused: ...... Anyways, my 1,000 word Expository Essay assignment was written on this very subject: Accelerated Distance Learning. I don't think it was too popular with the instructor, as I bashed colleges for being more about the money than the students, but I nevertheless received an "A" on it. I think that once the word gets out, in force, colleges will have no choice but to change their attitude. I know I have become an advocate for testing out of classes as there's no need to waste 8-16 weeks learning/relearning a subject if you can show a mastery of the subject on an objective test.

I learned about these tests in the military, as did many of the other students on this forum. I know I never would have completed college if weren't for testing out, or IC. Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:...... Anyways, my 1,000 word Expository Essay assignment was written on this very subject: Accelerated Distance Learning. I don't think it was too popular with the instructor, as I bashed colleges for being more about the money than the students, but I nevertheless received an "A" on it....... Lee

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Right on Lee!!

It wasn't that long ago that D/L was compared on the same level as the dreaded "correspondence school" style of learning; never respected and having slight to nominal value.

Today, D/L is not a thing of the future but is in fact a large part of the present in earning a degree and getting stronger day-by-day. The kids can have their costly B&M schools and experiences and the rest of us can earn a quality education and still maintain our own adult lives.

You should have received an A+!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I have known about CLEP since the late 80s. I remember signing up for a drafting class long ago and they told me I could not take it until I took a math class. I CLEPed an Algebra class and started my class a month later.
Brian E

DONE with tests... yippee Cool

[SIZE="1"]CLEP
[INDENT]College Mathematics 78
English Composition (w/essay) 56
Social Sciences and History 66
[/INDENT]

DSST
[INDENT]Ethics in America 451
Here’s to Your Health 443 [/INDENT]
[/SIZE]
I remember hearing about Clep when I was in the Army but didn't really pay it any mind. It wasn't till a few years later when a friend of mine told me she used clep to get out of some courses at Northwestern University. I was interested in going back to school so I googled clep and eventually found my way to this site. Recently took my Sociology exam and passed! Am already scheduled for more! I think I am becoming a clep addict!
My parents read the Accelerated Distance Learning book (I think that's what it's called) and my older brother got into taking CLEP's. He's just about gotten a BS in Biology from Excelsior with the mixture of his traditional classes and CLEP's, Dantes, GRE, etc. Anyway, he kinda started the trend, and I just finished (today!) CLEPing all the core requirements I could for my ADN in nursing from a community college. I'm homeschool too (nice to see another one on here, ViolinGirl! I'm 17 Smile ), graduating in the next few months, and thanks to the CLEP's I'll be finishing up all my prereq's and coreq's this semester and then will apply to nursing school. Smile I've done dual-credit classes for several years now. I think CLEP's are awesome... although I've had a few people tell me they think it's "cheating" to test out of a college class. :mad: Bologna.

I play/teach violin too, so that's kinda funny. I TRIED to get that name (ViolinGirl) on here!! hilarious
It is good to see other homeschoolers on this forum! I am homeschooled, 17 years old and also play violin and piano! I would've been ViolinGuy or something like that though Smile I just started working on my degree and only have 6 credits under my belt. I am all pumped and ready to get testing thanks to InstantCert.

I first heard about CLEP from the book Accelerated Distance Learning by Brad Voeller. I am currently working on my degree through CollegePlus. Now that I know how wonderful CLEP is...I am telling everyone I come into contact with about it (and InstantCert, too!). Thanks for such a great resource InstantCert!

cpstudent
Completed:
6 - Analyz. and Interp. Literature (56)
3 - Principles of Management (63)
3 - Principles of Marketing (55)
3 - Information Systems and Computer Applications (50)
Cool! Smile I've got 15 CLEP credits so far. I'm considering doing some more just in case I ever go for a BSN... but I haven't decided yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Can I Make An Entire College Degree Out Of CLEP Credits?” jmeitrem 9 2,599 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 3,897 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  Organizing my CLEP stuff jmeitrem 7 1,576 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: alzee
  Harvard Extension accepts ACE and CLEP rebel100 7 2,327 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Imagine if he had known about CLEP..... rebel100 18 2,327 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 969 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  CLEP or DSST? Publius 12 1,571 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  I'm giving a speech today about CLEP Bibby 3 1,133 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  A Clep Hater jmichelle79 37 4,278 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  FYI for PMPs - CLEP/DSSTs that count as Cert PDUs lwmcc 1 1,067 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Last Post: julianclmb1