Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanities clep exam
Hi -

I have bought both of REA study guides "the best test preparation for the CLEP". I am going back to school after a very long time (17 yrs). Though I finished my first two blocks of classes and did very well, studying for the Humanities Exam is becoming my life.

In addition to working 12+ hours a day and being a full time single mom, I try to find 2-3+ hours studying time/daily. I also subscribed to a tutorial service which has been a huge waste of money.

There is so much to learn and memorize that I feel extremely unprepared and overwhelmed. Though I am a very structured person, I am quite disorganized about how best to study and prepare for this test.

I have been studying the REA guides and doing the practice tests, but still feel very unfaimilar with the information. Just wondering if there were any "newbies" like me, who are prepping for this test and can provide some guidance.

Those of you who have taken and passed this test, how familiar were you with the information prior to studying? Have you been enrolled in school with no interruptions (i.e. from H.S, you went straight to collge)?

Reading about how little time some of you spent studying is making me feel like a dunce, but trying to maintain some optimism.

Thanks for your replies and any insight that you can provide.

Liz
esingh Wrote:I have bought both of REA study guides "the best test preparation for the CLEP".

I also bought this book when studying for Humanities and did not find it at all helpful. It covered so much information, it was overwhelming.

Quote:I have been studying the REA guides and doing the practice tests, but still feel very unfaimilar with the information. Just wondering if there were any "newbies" like me, who are prepping for this test and can provide some guidance. Those of you who have taken and passed this test, how familiar were you with the information prior to studying?

I gave up REA after a couple weeks and only used InstantCert after that. IC was much more specific to the exam and a lot easier to understand. As I went through the flashcards, I put each term/author/work/etc into an Excel Spreadsheet along with an explanation. I actually think I still have that if you would want it...

Quote:Reading about how little time some of you spent studying is making me feel like a dunce, but trying to maintain some optimism.

Don't feel that way! I am sure you can do it! Humanities did take me more time than most of the other tests I have taken. It's a lot of information and a lot of work. But I was thoroughly prepared by using InstantCert and then taking the REA practice tests. (But NOT studying the REA book). Don't be discouraged! You can do it. Smile Good luck and God bless.
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
esingh Wrote:Hi -

I have bought both of REA study guides "the best test preparation for the CLEP". I am going back to school after a very long time (17 yrs). Though I finished my first two blocks of classes and did very well, studying for the Humanities Exam is becoming my life.

In addition to working 12+ hours a day and being a full time single mom, I try to find 2-3+ hours studying time/daily. I also subscribed to a tutorial service which has been a huge waste of money.

There is so much to learn and memorize that I feel extremely unprepared and overwhelmed. Though I am a very structured person, I am quite disorganized about how best to study and prepare for this test.

I have been studying the REA guides and doing the practice tests, but still feel very unfaimilar with the information. Just wondering if there were any "newbies" like me, who are prepping for this test and can provide some guidance.

Those of you who have taken and passed this test, how familiar were you with the information prior to studying? Have you been enrolled in school with no interruptions (i.e. from H.S, you went straight to collge)?

Reading about how little time some of you spent studying is making me feel like a dunce, but trying to maintain some optimism.

Thanks for your replies and any insight that you can provide.

Liz

I took this test yesterday and passed with a 62. I studied using only the instacert flashcards. The thing that I found was that since the topic is so broad the test didn't go into too much details. Instacert doesn't have the answers to the questions on the test, instead they seem to allow you ways to rule out the answers that are NOT correct on the test. So you will have a better shot with ducated guesses as opposed to trying to learn all of the material.
Brittany,

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. If you still have the notes that you took from your studies, I would really appreciate them. I just joined yesterday and am really pleased to be a part of such a cohesive and supportive group of individuals.

Thanks again!

Elizabeth
This particular test scares me a little! lol. I'll probably take it later this summer after I get some more test done. I need to take all the 6 credit cleps I can but I'll probably take Am. Lit. and S.S. and History first before I tackle this one.

Patrick
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]
Hi everyone, I am about to take the CLEP in Humanities on 6/26, and I'm feeling really nervous. I am using "The Best Test Prep" and Speedy Prep online and feeling really overwhelmed with all the material. About the only area I had much previous knowledge in was literature. Can anyone let me know objectively if Instacert is the way to go for my studying?

Also, I'm a bit confused on the scoring. If my raw score is 50 does that mean my scaled score is 50 and therefore a pass (50 is what my school requires)? Does that mean I can miss 90 out off 140 and still pass the test?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mila Wrote:Hi everyone, I am about to take the CLEP in Humanities on 6/26, and I'm feeling really nervous. I am using "The Best Test Prep" and Speedy Prep online and feeling really overwhelmed with all the material. About the only area I had much previous knowledge in was literature. Can anyone let me know objectively if Instacert is the way to go for my studying?

Also, I'm a bit confused on the scoring. If my raw score is 50 does that mean my scaled score is 50 and therefore a pass (50 is what my school requires)? Does that mean I can miss 90 out off 140 and still pass the test?

I took a look at the REA study guide myself. I found alot of the stuff to be very similar to the test. I also took the clep exam from college boards book. I scored well so I just took the exam. I believe that was my first clep exam also.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Mila Wrote:Also, I'm a bit confused on the scoring. If my raw score is 50 does that mean my scaled score is 50 and therefore a pass (50 is what my school requires)? Does that mean I can miss 90 out off 140 and still pass the test?

Hi!

I looked at a chart that REA has for how this exam is scored. It says that a raw score of 70 correct out of 140 questions equals a scaled score of 50 to pass. Members of the board usually recommend studying well enough to at least get 50-60% of questions correct in order to pass.

Hope this helps! Best wishes on your exam!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Mila Wrote:Hi everyone, I am about to take the CLEP in Humanities on 6/26, and I'm feeling really nervous. I am using "The Best Test Prep" and Speedy Prep online and feeling really overwhelmed with all the material. About the only area I had much previous knowledge in was literature. Can anyone let me know objectively if Instacert is the way to go for my studying?

IC is DEFINITELY the way to go for this exam. Everything else I looked at overwhelmed me. I had a little experience in literature as well, but not much else. IC was great... I would definitely use them first (if not exclusively). Smile
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
This is my first CLEP and I'm trying to get an appt for this coming week. I have been studying for a little over a week. I have the Cracking the Clep (scored a 92/140 after 7 days of study), the CLEP study guide, and a college Humanities textbook (started to take the class about 5 year ago but had to drop). I haven't even gone thru all of IC's questions since Princeton Review mentions there are only several questions on dance, architecture and non-fiction. I have taken a TON of notes (I learn by writing stuff down) on people and their works. I have a small background in literature from 25 years ago so I recognized authors but didn't particularly remember plotlines.
I'm probably overstudying since I don't want to blow my first CLEP and demolish my confidence. Not having taken the test yet, I can't tell you which has been the most helpful resource. My guess right now would be the textbook in conjunction with the practice tests so I can recognize what "stands out". I will give you a definitive answer after I test.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,260 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 338 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 508 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 955 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 674 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,848 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 913 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,319 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Humanities Degrees and Stem Degrees Deserve Equal Respect LevelUP 12 2,073 03-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77