Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Depressed, Not a Good Start
(02-23-2021, 10:02 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 11:09 PM)jch Wrote: I'm in an ASU EA course right now (FSE100) that has gone off the rails. Grading for a major project is broken, and the TA decided to "solve" the problem by giving everyone zeros on part of it with a vague comment. There also was absolutely no communication to us about it. Predictably, this resulted in many angry people. The discussion boards have broken out in revolt. The poor TA is belatedly trying to clean up their mess, but they still don't understand why everyone is upset. I'm abandoning the course, as this is far too much drama and effort for a two credit class that I don't need.

That sounds horrific. When you say broken grading, do you mean students can't submit assignments through the system? And so they received zeros? Eesh. I had been thinking about taking that course next time it's on offer, although 15 weeks of work and 425USD for 2 credits isn't super appealing. But if students can't even submit work, I'll definitely be spending my money elsewhere.

I was in one of the Intro to Sociology offerings at ASU last year. One week's discussion involved sharing our opinions on gay marriage (or something like that). Unsurprisingly, there were a few students who opposed gay marriage due to their religious views. I can't say I hold the same views, but they weren't rude, so who cares, right? We're not in North Korea, people are allowed to have their own opinions. Sociology is all about being able to understand human societies, and the people that comprise them, and so I would have thought an open discussion would be welcome.

Silly me.

One student took it upon herself (theirself?) to mark all of those posts as 'off topic' and reported them to the TA, along with leaving sneering comments underneath each of those 'wrongthink' students' comments. Amazingly, the TA reacted by pinning a post admonishing those religious students for sharing their offensive views and to be mindful of the need to be kind to all the myriad gay and transgender students who were in the class, reminded us all that she was non-binary or somesuch and so was also personally offended by their opinions, and that if those students couldn't be kind (I think she meant 'compliant'), they may find themselves removed from the course.

It was such a shocking and - frankly - egregious overreach of power, in a situation that genuinely did not require it. Combined with the condescension offered to those poor students who dared to hold a different view, really made me reconsider what kind of tertiary institution ASU was.

Rules for thee, but not for me.

That's the world we live in now.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • elcastor21
(02-24-2021, 03:09 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Rules for thee, but not for me.

Indeed. I was tempted to contact ASU and request that TAs try to separate their personal views from their course moderation, but realised that the same person who hired that TA would probably be the same individual who responded to my email. Nothing would change, but I'd probably get myself on a list - because that's what Western liberalism is about now.

So many North American universities have been institutionally captured, and it's really sad to see. A tremendous loss of human potential, that those responsible will never even recognise their part in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • elcastor21
(02-24-2021, 05:05 PM)innen_oda Wrote:

Indeed. I was tempted to contact ASU and request that TAs try to separate their personal views from their course moderation, but realised that the same person who hired that TA would probably be the same individual who responded to my email. Nothing would change, but I'd probably get myself on a list - because that's what Western liberalism is about now.

So many North American universities have been institutionally captured, and it's really sad to see. A tremendous loss of human potential, that those responsible will never even recognise their part in.

As a joke, you could post an exact quote from Obama not that long ago on the topic of gay marriage.  You would be called all sorts of negative things.  Then mention it was Obama quotes and you will see a flip flop and they come up with excuses as to why those comments were ok.  https://youtu.be/dhp_DDHe_X0  (not suggesting u do this)

Just like in China, it's all about the team, always support the "right" team with these activist teachers. That's the unspoken rule.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-23-2021, 02:34 PM)jch Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 10:02 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 11:09 PM)jch Wrote: I'm in an ASU EA course right now (FSE100) that has gone off the rails. Grading for a major project is broken, and the TA decided to "solve" the problem by giving everyone zeros on part of it with a vague comment. There also was absolutely no communication to us about it. Predictably, this resulted in many angry people. The discussion boards have broken out in revolt. The poor TA is belatedly trying to clean up their mess, but they still don't understand why everyone is upset. I'm abandoning the course, as this is far too much drama and effort for a two credit class that I don't need.

That sounds horrific. When you say broken grading, do you mean students can't submit assignments through the system? And so they received zeros? Eesh. I had been thinking about taking that course next time it's on offer, although 15 weeks of work and 425USD for 2 credits isn't super appealing. But if students can't even submit work, I'll definitely be spending my money elsewhere.

The ASU EA courses with a lot of writing can be iffy. Many of their offerings just use automatically graded quizzes, cerego flashcards, word-count-based yellowdig discussions, and multiple choice exams. All of those are automatically handled by the computer, and the staff will quickly fix things if a bug arises. I'd highly recommend any of the courses set up like that.

The problems seem to increase as more writing assignments are added. First, there is a persistent unfixed bug with the ASU EA edX platform related to assignments requiring uploading a file. Sometimes the uploaded file is lost between selecting it and submitting. The system will then proceed with submitting the empty submission, which the student can't fix. Of course, the student then receives a zero for that item. When asked about it (often), the engineering course staff blame the students, even though this is a glaring technical bug. Because I always carefully check my submitted file after uploading, I've never been caught by this particular issue.
Next is the poor grading. These TAs aren't given enough money/time to complete their work, and consequently do a poor job. Twice this term, the grader completely missed a paragraph of my submission and gave me a zero for something I did. The FSE150 grader was apologetic about it and quickly fixed it, while the FSE100 TA did so begrudgingly. Even when grades are provided, the feedback is often lacking. ASU EA is structured with minimal interaction between students and staff. Often, this results in a lack of direction and expectations for the assignments.
Third is the rubric setup. This is what went awry in FSE100. The rubric programmed into edX for a major project wasn't the same as what was provided to us. To "resolve" the discrepancy, the TA gave everyone a zero for a section of the rubric with a vague comment. After many people responded incredulously to this, the TA then stated to us that it was fine because we might be okay without those points. This didn't go over well.
Fourth is a logic issue in the gradebook impacting courses with written assignments. Like all gradebooks, it assumes a zero when an item is past due. Unlike most sane gradebooks, it still assumes a zero when a submission is awaiting a staff grade. Combine this with grading that's a week or two behind, and it always seems that you're going to fail the class. Many students have asked about this over the years, but it's never been fixed.

Don't get me wrong, ASU EA is still one of the better sources out there for graded RA credits. They do have some faults that I've documented above, but don't let those deter you. The great part about their system is that you only pay the $400 after you pass. If a class goes off the rails, it's no problem to simply abandon it.

I do not recommend taking FSE100 for ASU credit. It is far too much time, work, and effort for just two credits. However, the materials do appear to be a PLA gold mine. They cover numerous areas of engineering during the course. Following along with the notes and assignments in your own way could get you mostly done with several PLA portfolios. This is something I'm planning to do with the work I've completed.

The ASU ULC FSE100 professor replied in the discussion board regarding the grading problems, ending his post by stating that "Adversity is an inherent part of engineering." That is the most insensitive comment I have ever heard from a professor. Everyone is stressed because of lapses by the course team, and they continue to not really understand. Seriously, I'm glad that I abandoned that class.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(02-04-2021, 08:53 PM)Flelm Wrote: To answer your last question, I'm in an SOS-110 class right now and the latest forum post has one person who is teetering close to conspiracy theories. I'm not going to quote them here but I'm probably not going to choose to reply to them in the discussions.

Yesteryear's "conspiracy theory" is tonight's obvious fact.

Just look at the lemmings, thanks to missinformation created by mainstream media(in this case, Disney, ABC, Cartoon Network and what is now known as Rare Software) people believe they kill themselves when overpopulation arises, that's completely fake and most people will call you crazy when you explain them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming

"It’s Easier To Fool People Than To Convince Them That They’ve Been Fooled"

(02-24-2021, 05:05 PM)innen_oda Wrote:

We have documented in this forum that American Universities, notably University of California, receive millions from the Chinese Communist Party, I would not be surprised if ASU was involved too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good study advice for my TECEPS? kowenboy 3 371 09-01-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Is it possible to start multiple terms? davidtpb 3 515 12-11-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  If classes start Monday, December 5th, are you enrolled? Insert Name 2 446 12-02-2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Good for you TESU grads ! Pats20 0 687 01-31-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Intro Post: About to start BALS @ TESU rook 13 2,422 03-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU GenEds - best mix of cheap and good quality? Kartvelian 8 1,615 02-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Kartvelian
  TESU Honors/Organizations to join that look good on a resume? camjenks 0 798 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Last Post: camjenks
  TESU Course Start Date Question MrBossmanJr 2 890 01-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  When can you start your Capstone? pws 14 2,799 12-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Good Gen Eds to start with? blt93933 8 1,879 10-20-2018, 11:59 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL