Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm thinking about switching to Excelsior
Chebasaz Wrote:No, and I don't think it would make the claim that it's a college. If you look on their site, they offer majors, but when you follow the links it says that it offers majors primarily through Thomas Edison.

If I had to guess at the business model, I'd guess:

1) Student signs up for CollegePlus
2) Student is enrolled by CollegePlus in TESC's credit bank system
3) Student is contacted by CP for a discussion on what major the student is interested in, using TESC's list of majors
4) CP formulates a list of CLEP/DANTES/TESCE/ECE that the student would need to meet that major
5) Student is provided coaching, study material resources, and motivation from CP's advisors
6) Student ends up graduating from TESC.

It's not a bad idea, but it's borderline deceptive to "Offer Majors" on the site and give the impression that CP is an academic institution. Still, while I agree that you can find most of the information for yourself without the hefty "tuition" fees that CP requires; there are some people out there that need that motivation and someone holding their hand throughout the process.

In the end the questions are:

1) Does CP help more people reach their goals of having a college degree? - For that, I'd say yes they do.
2) Are their business practices a bit... grey? - That's a matter of personal opinion. The fact that some of their students seem to think that CP is a college itself is troubling though. (Nothing against you personally MKR)

One last question for everyone though... If CP! didn't exist, does anyone think that MKR would be as far as he is towards a college degree? That's a pretty big endorsement for CP right there.

Just food for thought.

Edit: Just realized we didn't answer MKR's question about Excelsior.. Excelsior is a regionally accredited college. You can find more information at www.excelsior.edu

Everything you said about their business model is right.

Well I'm not sure what to call them. I believe that they are in association with TESC, so....I guess they're "helpers". I know that it isn't a "real" college, but I just called them that because they're helping me get credits that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten on my own and will be transfering me over to TESC. Not to mention, they helped me figure out what I wanted to do with my life. That's something I'll always be grateful for.

Oh and I'm a she..not a he. Smile

I'm not sure how to find the info that you're looking for, Shoto. Sorry.
I started CollegePlus! at 13. Big Grin

Credits: 12/120

Analyzing/Interpreting Lit. -- 65
U.S History I -- 56
(Failed) U.S History II -- 47
Western Civ. I -- 59

~*~ Western Civ II: At some point and time :p ~*~
[QUOTE=Chebasaz].

If I had to guess at the business model, I'd guess:

1) Student signs up for CollegePlus
2) Student is enrolled by CollegePlus in TESC's credit bank system
3) Student is contacted by CP for a discussion on what major the student is interested in, using TESC's list of majors
4) CP formulates a list of CLEP/DANTES/TESCE/ECE that the student would need to meet that major
5) Student is provided coaching, study material resources, and motivation from CP's advisors
6) Student ends up graduating from TESC.

I went through College Plus! for one year (when it was cheaper!) and the plan that Chebasaz drew up is pretty accurate. They do offer to work with you through EC but they recommend TESC because there are fewer requirments. I think they offer good services but they are also selling information that can be had for free if you're willing to do some leg work. They are primarily a motivational institution that is designed to help high-school age students. Without them however many people would not know about this route for a college degree. They are not accredited with the CHEA or the US Dept. of Ed.

Just my two cents worth! Big Grin

Farmerboy
Finished in December, 2008 with my BSBA from TESC

Current events dialogue @SamRust on Twitter
Thank you for that.

U.S History I -- 56
Western Civ. I -- 59

MKRainn Wrote:Oh and I'm a she..not a he. Smile

Lol, sorry about that. :o

MKRainn Wrote:Not to mention, they helped me figure out what I wanted to do with my life. That's something I'll always be grateful for.

True, and it's hard to put a price on that Smile Best of luck, and keep plugging away at those credits.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Haha it's okay.

Thanks! You too!

U.S History I -- 56
Western Civ. I -- 59

You seem very mature for a 14 year old??
University of Massachusetts - Lowell, MS Finance (current)
Lewis University, MBA, Finance
Excelsior College B.S. Liberal Arts, Admin/Mgmt Studies
MKRainn,

You're 14, already working towards college, and you know what you want to do with your life?! I am impressed...keep it up. Cool
To BC: Thank you! Alot of people say that. Most of the credit goes to my parents.Smile

To Curdy: Thanks also! Every bit of encouragement is appreciated!

U.S History I -- 56
Western Civ. I -- 59

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,131 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,852 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 943 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,235 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,748 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,201 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,340 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,812 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn