Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It all makes sense now.
Charter Oak definitely has better customer service than TESC and EC, but that's easy to do when you only have 1,644 students. The high school I went to had 2,500 students. There is no way TESC and EC could compete when they have over 19,000 and 35,000 students, respectively.

Those are U.S. News numbers above. In Fall 2013, COSC had 1,581 enrolled students. For the 2012-2013 school year, 2,592 students took courses there.
Institutional Profile - Charter Oak State College
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I will say this; while dealing with "general" customer service stuff is a pain through TESC, my one appointment so far was fantastic; I've never met a counselor that was so supportive of transfers and alternate ways of earnings credits thus far like the people from TESC.

I was expecting a hard sell of having to spend as much as possible through TESC (especially as I'm military, even if I don't necessarily front the cost), but instead when I told my advisor that TECEPs interested me she helped me create the plan that I'm going through right now. The only thing I have to accomplish on my end is knock out the CLEPs/DSSTs that I can so that only the residency requirements remain.

I'll see soon if being enrolled really does make a difference; I don't start till April but I've already seen that reflected on my academic eval.
sanantone Wrote:Charter Oak definitely has better customer service than TESC and EC, but that's easy to do when you only have 1,644 students. The high school I went to had 2,500 students. There is no way TESC and EC could compete when they have over 19,000 and 35,000 students, respectively.

Those are U.S. News numbers above. In Fall 2013, COSC had 1,581 enrolled students. For the 2012-2013 school year, 2,592 students took courses there.
Institutional Profile - Charter Oak State College

But with increased enrollment comes increased tuition, which in turn means more funds for additional customer service and admin personnel.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:But with increased enrollment comes increased tuition, which in turn means more funds for additional customer service and admin personnel.
Public institutions are often expected to do more with less.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
But wouldn't that apply to COSC also?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
When I applied to the big three, COSC provided the best customer service. Any questions I had were answered immediately; emails were responded to in less than two hours. At EC it was always who you talked to in the admissions department, everyone had a different answer to the same question. While at TESC, it took a while just to get a simple response. However, I decided to enroll at EC due to their large military student population, and I wanted a major instead of a concentration. I noticed at EC (School of Liberal Arts), trying to get anything done at the beginning or the end of the semester/trimester its almost impossible, yet during the semester/trimester I tend to get things taken care of just as quickly as I would when I was dealing with COSC. I have also noticed that sometimes things are slower to process, or you just get thrown in the pile of things to do, and if you don't mention it after a while it will just prolong the process. Yet, when something like that would happen once I mentioned it (Transcripts) such was taken care of immediately.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
The numbers explain the phone holds and the amount of time they take to respond to emails but I don't know if it explains the attitudes of the customer service people.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Prloko Wrote:But wouldn't that apply to COSC also?

It's easy and cheap to hire enough staff for 1,500 to 2,500 students. In-state students are heavily subsidized, so they aren't covering the whole cost of their education. So, increased enrollment could mean doing more with less if the government isn't will to fork over more money for more students.

Devanna Wrote:The numbers explain the phone holds and the amount of time they take to respond to emails but I don't know if it explains the attitudes of the customer service people.

A combination of being overworked and being from New Jersey. One would think that an increase in enrollment would lead to an increase in revenues to cover the cost of educating each student, but public schools are heavily subsidized. They aren't charging in-state students the full cost.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Remember economies of scale from economics? Well, there should be a corrolary (spelling?). It would be called inefficieces of customer service scale, or something like that. The bigger an organization gets, the more specialization occurs. The bigger it gets, the less chance you have of knowing who knows what. Ergo, long time on the 'phone, you get passed around, etc., etc., etc. Not that smaller is always better, but it's hard to have a bigger staff with comprehensive knowledge. Heck, you probably don't know the names/jobs of the folks you'd see in the elevator/hall/lunchroom, much less what they do.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would one graded course make sense for me? (Anyone in HR?) TESUAbroad 8 976 03-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Last Post: TESUAbroad
  Does this psychology plan make sense? Nichelenole 2 622 12-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Nichelenole
  Can someone help me make sense of my Charter Oak Advising Worksheet Mindcrime30 5 873 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Does it makes sense to have two AAS Degrees? chiquitacobbe 32 2,520 06-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Last Post: chiquitacobbe
  Question For You Guys... Does my college plan make sense? MT0911 11 1,253 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Last Post: MT0911
  Maybe someone can make sense of this. AdrianPeterson 3 1,413 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Last Post: cookderosa