Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it makes sense to have two AAS Degrees?
Here's my situation:
I work in IT and concentrate on Public Safety IT Management (police, fire, emergency mngmt). In this field, experience is definitely key over education. It's a very unique area of IT. I decided on my own to go back to school after almost 25 years. I am not the best in school, I am almost finished with my AAS in Applied Computer Studies. I really don't think I can continue on to a bachelors. The course requirements are not my cup of tea (marcro/micro, stats, etc) and my time is limited as police and fire run 24/7 and sometimes require my help after hours. So I was thinking of getting a second AAS in Environmental Safety and Security Technology since my credits will apply to both areas.

I value the opinion of this forum and would love to hear everyones thoughts. Please don't post "get your bachelors" because I know that is the better option but I really don't think that will happen.

I really just want to know what your thoughts are on have two AAS degrees.

THANKS!!!
I think, given your parameters earning the two AAS makes some sense. It is a relatively quick way to demonstrate some concentrated study in separate areas. I'm not sure what value an employer will place on it, but you relate a lot of experience...so maybe that's ok. It still won't check the box for a Bachelors that so many employers find critical as the price of admission for consideration....you have to get past the recruiter/human resources personnel to even get an interview.

Since you asked me not to, I won't point out that once you have a handful of unsavory courses out of the way (you mentioned a few gen eds) the rest would be right back in your area of interest.

Be sure you understand....36 hours of gen eds, none of which have to be the courses you mentioned. Another 20 hours or so of anything that interests you, 30 hours of FEMA (easy), and 30 UL credits related to management, IT, and emergency management would do it. At Charter Oak anyways. I've followed your posts a bit, the bachelors is within your reach, don't sell yourself short.....there that was me NOT telling you to go get the Bachelors.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
When does your current enrollment end? The reason I ask is that you cannot complete the work for your second degree until your first degree has been conferred, so you may end up paying $3,000 to submit free FEMA credits for a degree that may not get you any further forward than your current AAS in Applied Computer Studies.

Oh, and "get your bachelors" LOL
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
I'm sure there are plenty of IT degrees out there that do not require things like micro and macro. Those aren't that difficult BTW if you have a good text and teacher, at least macro since you likely know a good bit of it already from the news and life but you don't have formal names for some of the concept. And stats is a bugger at first, but that's because it is a different *kind* of math than we are used to, it's not like algebra *per se* because its a very specialized applied mathematics field. So it just takes some getting used to. I always bashed my head in for a while going through math, but even I made it through stats and trig.

You aren't restricted to only TESC for your degree, so don't let those courses scare you away from a bachelor's degree, there are other degrees out there that may be more flexible. Maybe something like Western Governor's University? Unless of course you paid the $3,000 to TESC already. If so, then yes, the AAS ESST could make a lot of sense. It would only be an additional $300, plus if you have any coursework you have to do in addition. Not sure about the rules for getting a second AAS, I defer to others on that one.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
HAHAHA I love everyones comments even the ones stating the get your bachelors. Believe me it isn't 100% ruled out yet.

Please note I do not need to take any additional classes to get the AAS in ESST. I have already taken way too many FEMA classes for my job that I have well beyond the required credits for that area of study. And all my IT classes will fill the other requirements. So it would just be paying the extra $300. Just want to know if its worth it. I already paid the $3000 for enrollment and have until July till my year is up.
Thanks I will look into Charter Oak too
The BSBA in CIS at TESC, or similar degrees elsewhere, may require macro, micro and so on because they're also business degrees.

At Charter Oak, take a look at these concentrations:
Information Systems Studies
Technology Studies (for a plan with course titles, see the Official Catalog [pdf])
Computer Science Studies
Criminal Justice
Individualized Studies
chiquitacobbe Wrote:HAHAHA I love everyones comments even the ones stating the get your bachelors. Believe me it isn't 100% ruled out yet.

Please note I do not need to take any additional classes to get the AAS in ESST. I have already taken way too many FEMA classes for my job that I have well beyond the required credits for that area of study. And all my IT classes will fill the other requirements. So it would just be paying the extra $300. Just want to know if its worth it. I already paid the $3000 for enrollment and have until July till my year is up.

Well, you cannot count any of the core classes you have taken before your first degree is conferred towards your second degree. So, for your second AAS you would have to take another 12 core credits and you would not be able to complete these until September, which means you will have to pay another annual enrollment fee.

"Second Associate degree
Students who have received one associate degree at Thomas
Edison State College or another regionally accredited institution
and wish to earn a second associate degree must:
• Complete a minimum of 12 additional credits in the option
for a second associate degree beyond the date the most recent degree was completed.
• Students must complete all requirements for the degree as
listed in the current Thomas Edison State College Catalog"
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
[quote=rebel100]I think, given your parameters earning the two AAS makes some sense. It is a relatively quick way to demonstrate some concentrated study in separate areas. I'm not sure what value an employer will place on it, but you relate a lot of experience...so maybe that's ok. It still won't check the box for a Bachelors that so many employers find critical as the price of admission for consideration....you have to get past the recruiter/human resources personnel to even get an interview.

Since you asked me not to, I won't point out that once you have a handful of unsavory courses out of the way (you mentioned a few gen eds) the rest would be right back in your area of interest.

Be sure you understand....36 hours of gen eds, none of which have to be the courses you mentioned. Another 20 hours or so of anything that interests you, 30 hours of FEMA (easy), and 30 UL credits related to management, IT, and emergency management would do it. At Charter Oak anyways. I've followed your posts a bit, the bachelors is within your reach, don't sell yourself short.....there that was me NOT telling you to go get the Bachelors.[/QUOTE]

[quote=AlbaTiVo]Well, you cannot count any of the core classes you have taken before your first degree is conferred towards your second degree. So, for your second AAS you would have to take another 12 core credits and you would not be able to complete these until September, which means you will have to pay another annual enrollment fee.

"Second Associate degree
Students who have received one associate degree at Thomas
Edison State College or another regionally accredited institution
and wish to earn a second associate degree must:
• Complete a minimum of 12 additional credits in the option
for a second associate degree beyond the date the most recent degree was completed.

BUMMER!!! And there is no way I can finish the remaining classes this month to meet the earlier graduation. Oh well I guess that theory goes out the window.
TESC's BSAST in Information Technology requires statistics, but it doesn't require any other business courses. Charter Oaks' information systems degree requires statistics. TESC and Charter Oak have computer science majors/concentrations, but the required math is much harder than statistics. Both COSC and TESC have general Technology Studies concentrations/majors. My opinion is that the AAS in Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies is completely worthless. I know a member here posted a job ad that it could apply to, but I looked at the ad and the AAS would not be enough. No offense LaterBloomer. :p
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,758 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,819 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,150 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 4,611 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Any spreadsheets for Associate's degrees? xjarhead1999 20 4,053 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Last Post: xjarhead1999
  Help In getting a Degree/Degrees former Navy Rustydroid 8 1,917 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU - New Certificates/Degrees (IT)! bjcheung77 8 2,002 11-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  What big-3 degrees can be earned with just Shmoop.com courses? Pelican 2 2,888 11-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Associate Degrees at TESU rlw74 5 1,791 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Where can I find a list of TESC degrees that I can test out of entirely? anox 14 3,077 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Last Post: anox