Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LawShelf.com Discussion
(08-02-2022, 06:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I still can't believe LawShelf, which is "a project of National Paralegal College" hasn't found a way to get these accepted at that school for at least 45cr!

I wonder if the problem is they're NCCRS and not ACE. There are few ACE grad credits though. Grad programs definitely aren't as open to alt credits in my experience.
(08-02-2022, 06:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I still can't believe LawShelf, which is "a project of National Paralegal College" hasn't found a way to get these accepted at that school for at least 45cr!

They accept NCCRS credits (they should since NPC courses are also evaluated by NCCRS). However, students can only transfer in 12 credits of substantive legal courses at the undergraduate level. 36 credits in legal studies must be taken at NPC. Students can transfer up to 72 credits of general education courses. 

I haven't yet found their transfer credit policy for graduate programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Hi, as Dean of NPC, I'm happy to answer your question.

National Paralegal College has a limit on accepting LawShelf credits because employers who hire NPC graduates expect them to be proficient in electronic legal research and in legal writing. Consequently, NPC programs are highly specialized and include multiple research and writing assignments that utilize the LexisNexis research system. NPC does, in fact, accept LawShelf credits as electives to round out a student’s degree.

While NPC is focused on training legal professionals, LawShelf was designed to give students legal knowledge that is really useful in many fields such as business, compliance, human resources, healthcare and liberal arts. By enabling students to fulfill their electives with LawShelf courses, we are fulfilling our mission of educating the public in the field of law while helping students earn their degrees faster and cheaper at the same time.
[-] The following 3 users Like shaas's post:
  • cerich67, dragonwolf, ss20ts
@shaas, congrats on being Dean of NPC. Interesting turn of events, I always thought you were consulting or contracting with a few of the NCCRS providers and never knew you also became Dean of a college! Great move, I think LawShelf courses are options to get individuals interested in that subject area, especially when these can go into the electives so they can finish cheaper and faster! Hopefully more schools will accept them, I can see your "college partnerships" have gone up to 7 from the initial 6 when I looked previously...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-30-2022, 07:39 AM)vetvso Wrote: I wonder where the Graduate classes would fall into. For example, would TESU MALS Learner-Designed Area of Study 12CR be covered by some of these? Other possible degrees maybe? I think I counted Graduate @ 9 CR - It would be a good cost savings

I asked TESU about all of the six grad level recommended courses and was advised:

Patricia Certo (Thomas Edison State University)
Aug 4, 2022, 2:33 PM EDT
Brian,

Thank you for your patience; the Dean had to review the Lawshelf courses to determine how they'll transfer. 

Per her review, all of the options will transfer at the 300 level (undergraduate).
(08-04-2022, 01:54 PM)BrianFallon Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 07:39 AM)vetvso Wrote: I wonder where the Graduate classes would fall into. For example, would TESU MALS Learner-Designed Area of Study 12CR be covered by some of these? Other possible degrees maybe? I think I counted Graduate @ 9 CR - It would be a good cost savings

I asked TESU about all of the six grad level recommended courses and was advised:

Patricia Certo (Thomas Edison State University)
Aug 4, 2022, 2:33 PM EDT
Brian,

Thank you for your patience; the Dean had to review the Lawshelf courses to determine how they'll transfer. 

Per her review, all of the options will transfer at the 300 level (undergraduate).
Booo! Glad I'm not doing a grad degree there.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • BrianFallon
It's too bad that they don't bring them in as even 400-level, but I guess at least TESU does bring them in as UL so that may be something useful for some students. I just wish that we had a page listing transfer equivalencies.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Hopefully TESU and LawShelf does get that equivalency up as a few of the colleges that LawShelf partners with already has one... An example is Excelsior had a guide already, months ago even...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-31-2022, 11:01 PM)knaves Wrote: From my personal experience with these courses:

Liberty rejected all of them

Purdue accepted for 20 credits out of 55

APUS accepted for 9 out of 36.

Hope this is helpful for others.

Someone asked about these, so just to clarify these were all at the graduate level.  Essentially they were covering the electives for both Legal Studies programs.
(08-06-2022, 12:01 PM)knaves Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 11:01 PM)knaves Wrote: From my personal experience with these courses:

Liberty rejected all of them

Purdue accepted for 20 credits out of 55

APUS accepted for 9 out of 36.

Hope this is helpful for others.

Someone asked about these, so just to clarify these were all at the graduate level.  Essentially they were covering the electives for both Legal Studies programs.

20 quarter hours is just over 13 semester hours, so not bad.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LawShelf = Arts & Sciences ??? NBM123 6 1,009 10-18-2022, 10:28 PM
Last Post: alsimko
  Discussion - Study.com difference between practice tests and actual exam gremlinbrawler 14 4,623 12-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Last Post: rowan555
  Study.com holiday discussion yb1 2 970 11-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Last Post: yb1