Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA - Purdue University Global ExcelTrack
(08-17-2018, 06:07 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 04:50 PM)Gloddy Wrote: Hi,

I posted about this program a while back, HERE.

Since that time, I now know I am officially graduating from TESU with a BSBA in Finance on 9/14/18, so I have been doing my research on Masters in Finance programs.

I was down to 3:

West Texas A & M - MSFE

Scranton MSF

and of course

Purdue Global - MSF

I spoke with Texas via email...they want me to take 3 leveling courses because of the study.com/ACE not giving grades.  I did ask about exceptions given my background and professional designations. No give. This program as well as the program from Scranton do require at least a 3.0 for your undergrad. This is where the trouble from study.com/ACE comes into play. This program is accredited, online and inexpensive but I do not want to take 3 courses I already took this year.  All in, with the 3 leveling courses I would be in at under $15k.  I might still wind up trying this.

I spoke with Scranton via telephone (I live in Philadelphia) and they were much more understanding about my background (20+ years, professional designations, etc.), but I may still have to take leveling courses and or the GMAT. In fact, I have to do a case study to get accepted regardless of whether or not I need to take leveling courses.  I am waiting to hear back from them about the leveling courses.  They need my official transcript after my degree is conferred on 9/14.  This program has some nice rankings, is accredited, online and NOT inexpensive.  Will cost approx. $27,000.

I spoke with Purdue. The person I spoke with is a former Kaplan now Purdue person and is former military.  I say this because I am former Military, Semper-Fi.  He was/is awesome! The great thing about this program is all you need is the Finance Degree from an accredited School and a 2.5. No reference letters, leveling courses, GMAT etc.  You also get the Purdue name of course which is a big plus.  However, the program is 52, 1-hour credits.  I won't get into the details but I was told the entire program can be completed in 14 months.  Finally, this program would cost approx. $23,000 all in, which is $4k less than Scranton.

So, I was thinking about pulling the trigger and going to Purdue Global.  Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it,  I decided to check for reviews.  When I posted about this in the past, I couldn't find much.  This past week I found: THIS

While not all reviews are bad, the few that are, are very bad.

For me, I am not willing to chance the graduate degree.  I would rather pay very little to WGU or pay-up a little for a school in my area that is well known with a good reputation.  If Scranton wants leveling courses and or the GMAT, I will weigh this against West Texas A & M.

Gloddy

Have you spoken to potential employers about an MS in Finance? My understanding is that an MS in Finance is rarely worth it if you already have an undergrad in finance. What field are you trying to get into?

Also, have you looked at Harvard Extension School? They have a Masters in Finance program that can be completed for under 15k if you time the courses out right and receive the HES Grant. 4 of the 12 courses are Finance electives as well, so there's alot of flexibility in the program. If you select the courses right, you can even get a graduate certificate or two using the credits from your masters program.

Thanks for the reply.  I don't want to hijack the thread since it is really about Purdue Global.  For me, I am interested more in Finance and really debated MSF vs. CFA.  The program I have chosen (assuming I get into Scranton or West Texas A &M) teach 70% of the CFA curriculum.  This may give me the skills and confidence needed to take on this designation. 

Here is more information on MSF vs. CFA

[url=https://financialcareeroptions.com/cfa-vs-msf/][/url]
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
(08-16-2018, 11:03 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 04:34 PM)eLearner Wrote: To get an ABCSP accredited MBA from Purdue, I would sacrifice the specialization and make up for it with a certificate or something to that end.

Are you one of the people who can't attend WGU?

Certainly not.

I already have an MBA. I was just saying that an ABCSP MBA from Purdue would be worth the absence of a specialization.
(08-20-2018, 10:18 PM)eLearner Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 04:34 PM)eLearner Wrote: To get an ABCSP accredited MBA from Purdue, I would sacrifice the specialization and make up for it with a certificate or something to that end.

Certainly not.

I already have an MBA. I was just saying that an ABCSP MBA from Purdue would be worth the absence of a specialization.

I don't think this was meant as an insult, but just to point out that some people can't attend WGU because they're not in the US - so other programs then become an option someone who wanted to go to WGU might choose instead.

Does the MBA from Purdue say "Purdue" or "Purdue Global" on the degree/transcripts?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I didn't take it as an insult.
(08-21-2018, 12:41 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Certainly not.

I don't think this was meant as an insult, but just to point out that some people can't attend WGU because they're not in the US - so other programs then become an option someone who wanted to go to WGU might choose instead.

Does the MBA from Purdue say "Purdue" or "Purdue Global" on the degree/transcripts?

I'd be interested to know this as well. The logical speculation would be Purdue Global, but would love to see a screenshot of a diploma. Not sure if anyone has graduated from the program since the full switch over?
Excelsior - Bachelors Of Science in General Business - Complete 2016
CMA - Complete 2019
MBA In Finance - Louisiana State University Shreveport - Complete 2020
(08-21-2018, 07:33 PM)islandcoli Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 12:41 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Certainly not.

I'd be interested to know this as well. The logical speculation would be Purdue Global, but would love to see a screenshot of a diploma. Not sure if anyone has graduated from the program since the full switch over?

I should have my diploma soon and I will take a picture and post here.  However, I am 99% sure it will say Purdue University Global.  This is what my advisor told me, however, as we all know they are wrong sometimes.  I will be crossing my fingers for the 1% chance it says Purdue UniversitySmile
[-] The following 1 user Likes jeremyc3434's post:
  • warriortaupou
They’re owned by the same people but they’re operating as completely separate institutions. The diploma will say Global.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
They also have a juris doctor program.
Pretty cool
3 years of management experience seem to be strongly recommended (phone representative made it almost sound like they were required), I don't have any management experience & really want to start spring 2019. Is anyone in the same boat (with no management experience) & enrolled/starting/ accepted into the program?
BABA, New England College, 2019
(11-30-2018, 06:08 PM)harrypotter Wrote: 3 years of management experience seem to be strongly recommended (phone representative made it almost sound like they were required), I don't have any management experience & really want to start spring 2019. Is anyone in the same boat (with no management experience) & enrolled/starting/ accepted into the program?

Not to come off as harsh but if you are considering a MBA, unless you have an exceptional undergrad track record with a lot of accolades, I would highly recommend management experience. A lot of what you do in a MBA program can be related to your experience in a management position.

East Central University
Bachelors of Science - 2015
Biology

Southeastern Oklahoma State University
AACSB-Accredited
Masters of Business Administration - 2019
Management
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 255 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,092 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 284 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 497 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,467 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,984 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,364 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,318 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000