Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA - Purdue University Global ExcelTrack
(04-25-2019, 08:06 AM)posabsolute Wrote: thank you for the update, besides the first course, at what rate are you finishing them? (1 week? 2 weeks?)

I'm averaging about a week per course for 6 credits per 6 week term.  I'm spending about 8-12 hours per course, on average.  I've completed some courses in as few as 3-4 hours where I already had a knowledge base to start from.  I've had others take as much as 16-18 hours per course where I either had to take some time to better understand the material or the assignments were significant.  But most are falling into that 8-12 range.
Have we gotten a response on the diploma, re; Purdue University vs Purdue Global?

Assume Purdue Global, but if it says Purdue University, my mind is made up when I finish TESU in December.
(05-07-2019, 01:16 PM)degreeguy Wrote: Have we gotten a response on the diploma, re; Purdue University vs Purdue Global?

Assume Purdue Global, but if it says Purdue University, my mind is made up when I finish TESU in December.

From my understanding, the diploma will say Purdue University Global.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
It will definitely say Purdue University Global. Purdue University is a completely different school. They are owned by the same people, but they are different entities.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'm late to this thread which I know is a few months old.  I just wanted an update as I'm strongly considering this vs doing my MBA at WGU.  I really enjoyed doing the self paced model but wanted a school with a more "recognizable" name than WGU.

Any updates?
Hi!

It appears as though all of the Purdue diplomas are different:

https://www.purdueexponent.org/campus/ar...8e6c4.html

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea
Glad to have clarity on that. Though I'm personally OK with a Purdue Global Diploma, as it is all part of the Purdue University System.

I'm really hoping to get an update on coursework, ability to accelerate and general experience from the two or three people in the thread that were currently enrolled. Reviews of the school on gradreports seem really bad, whereas I had a pretty good experience with WGU for my undergrad and they are rated quite highly by enrolled and previous students.
(10-08-2019, 12:31 PM)tpratt4321 Wrote: Glad to have clarity on that.  Though I'm personally OK with a Purdue Global Diploma, as it is all part of the Purdue University System.  

I'm really hoping to get an update on coursework, ability to accelerate and general experience from the two or three people in the thread that were currently enrolled.  Reviews of the school on gradreports seem really bad, whereas I had a pretty good experience with WGU for my  undergrad and they are rated quite highly by enrolled and previous students.

The coursework is still pretty much the same as has been described in this thread.  I'm now 2/3 of the way through the program.  The first 1/4 of the curriculum was a mix of writing and calculations (analytics/accounting).  However, after those first 15 credits, the coursework has primarily consisted of a mix between 4-6 page papers or Powerpoint development (12-15 slides with audio).  I've found that if you budget about 8-10 hours per 1-credit module, that is usually sufficient to complete the base research and work.  

In full disclosure...since I posted in the spring, there have been some slight changes in how the program is administered.  Back around March, they introduced what is called 'Module-Gating'.  Essentially, what this means is that a student is unable to start the subsequent module in sequence until the current module has been completed (meaning the assignment has been submitted and graded).  Previously, a student could immediately start any module for which they registered at any time.  There wasn't any validation or check to ensure the modules were completed in sequence.  There also weren't any 'down' periods where you were unable to do any work because you were stuck waiting for your previous assignment to be graded.    

Technically, there is a 24-hour SLA for grading of assignments submitted during the week and 48 hours for assignments submitted on the weekend.  In all of the courses I've completed so far, I've only had one instance where these SLAs have not been met so it mostly hasn't been issue.  With that said, I did prefer the old method without the module gating, but it is what it is.  This approach forces you to be strategic in how you plan to complete and submit your work.  

Another recent change from late summer was that, previously, a term was scheduled for 6 weeks and you had the full 6 weeks to actually submit assignments.  The latest update to this policy is that while the term is still 6 weeks, the latest date you can actually submit an assignment is 2 days prior to the last day of the term.  While I understand this change was intended to allow the instructors more time for grading assignments within the term, the impact is that you've just lost 2 potential days of work.  If you take that with the 1-2 days of SLA time per module for grading assignments...it adds up.  If you're targeting to complete 6 modules per term, you'd be looking at a minimum of 6 days for grading plus the 2 days at the end of the term which comes out to 8 days of lost productivity for the entire term.  That's almost 20% of the term which is a lot.  At least, I think so.      

While I can't say that these changes are unreasonable, as a whole, it does serve as an impediment if you've previously been used to doing things differently.  

Aside from that, it's basically what I expected.  The ExcelTrack truly is self-paced and you have the ability to go as fast or slow as you want, SLAs notwithstanding.  While I did enjoy the collaborative nature of the one standard course I've taken (very first course) with the team-based meetings/assignments and do think I would have enjoyed that approach for the entire curriculum, at this point in my career and life, the flexibility and pace of the ExcelTrack were just a better fit for my lifestyle.
Can you do more than one module/class at a time? I heard 4 modules per course. Can you do both module one of two separate courses? Or it is just module for module at your own pace?
(11-01-2019, 04:29 PM)eradreede Wrote: Can you do more than one module/class at a time? I heard 4 modules per course. Can you do both module one of two separate courses? Or it is just module for module at your own pace?

Each course is 4 modules.  You can only do one module within each course at a time.  However, it *could* be possible to simultaneously work on two modules with each module being from a different course.  The only caveat there would be that the the first course you're working on could not be a pre-requisite for the second course.  

With that said, it's definitely at your own pace and if you want to register for 5-6 modules per term, that's allowable.  You can also add more modules within the term if you've already finished the modules you had previously registered for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 236 Today, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,058 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 494 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,454 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,311 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000