Post-Bac: Doane University - Done
CASPer Done MCAT Done
Medical School Interviews Completed: 1 MD (As of 12-11-19) Acceptances: 1 MD 
[-] The following 5 users Like MSK9's post:
  • cookderosa, davewill, GoodYellowDogs, mysonx3, quigongene
(12-06-2019, 07:48 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Update:

St. George's University School of Medicine (MD):
Interview Invitation

Nice reading about your journey! I am a physician recruiter and have been for 9 years.

Being a DO is great! For most states, you get your licensed after PGY-1 (1st year of residency) and this will allow you to moonlight sooner than your MD counterparts. Can save you a lot of money in the long-term.

I would strongly urge you against the Carribean schools. Not because they are not comparable, but because it can be a lot harder to get into residency than an AMG (American) school. I know plenty of physicians that were not able to get a residency spot and have not practiced.

Remember, when you go an IMG (International) graduate, you compete against graduates from all around the world and it becomes much harder.

DO is the way to go. 

Here are some schools to consider:

DO:
Touro University California 
Touro University Nevada
California Health Sciences University
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine

MD:
Kaiser Medical School in Pasadena (TUITION FREE)
California Northstate University
[-] The following 3 users Like humboldtjake's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, Ideas, MSK9
(12-10-2019, 02:19 AM)humboldtjake Wrote: Nice reading about your journey! I am a physician recruiter and have been for 9 years.

Being a DO is great! For most states, you get your licensed after PGY-1 (1st year of residency) and this will allow you to moonlight sooner than your MD counterparts. Can save you a lot of money in the long-term.

I would strongly urge you against the Carribean schools. Not because they are not comparable, but because it can be a lot harder to get into residency than an AMG (American) school. I know plenty of physicians that were not able to get a residency spot and have not practiced.

Remember, when you go an IMG (International) graduate, you compete against graduates from all around the world and it becomes much harder.

DO is the way to go. 

DO:
Touro University Nevada

MD:

You're right, based on my research it is certainly more challenging securing a residency (especially a competitive one) as an International Medical Graduate. That said, I know several (all Americans) who had a much easier time matching than non-American graduates.

I'm certainly not opposed to DO - in fact, most of my applications are for DO programs. As I understand it, the DO application cycle interview invitations can go out as late as March/April, so I'm still waiting on word from many of the schools I've applied to. Thanks for your input!

What is your background (aside from recruiting), if you don't mind me asking?
TESU BALS Humanities
CASPer Done MCAT Done
[-] The following 2 users Like MSK9's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, Ideas
(12-10-2019, 03:50 AM)MSK9 Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 02:19 AM)humboldtjake Wrote: Nice reading about your journey! I am a physician recruiter and have been for 9 years.

DO is the way to go. 

DO:
Touro University Nevada

MD:

You're right, based on my research it is certainly more challenging securing a residency (especially a competitive one) as an International Medical Graduate. That said, I know several (all Americans) who had a much easier time matching than non-American graduates.

I'm certainly not opposed to DO - in fact, most of my applications are for DO programs. As I understand it, the DO application cycle interview invitations can go out as late as March/April, so I'm still waiting on word from many of the schools I've applied to. Thanks for your input!

I start, manage, and operate medical practices as well. Prior to my 9 years as a recruiter, I was a Broadcast Journalist on an NPR affiliate in CA.

I forgot to mention Rosemon University in Las Vegas:
https://medicine.roseman.edu/
(12-10-2019, 02:55 PM)humboldtjake Wrote:

DO is the way to go. 

DO:
Touro University Nevada

MD:

I start, manage, and operate medical practices as well. Prior to my 9 years as a recruiter, I was a Broadcast Journalist on an NPR affiliate in CA.

Do you also recruit for mid-levels. Like Pysch Nurse practitioners (PMHNP). If so can you tell me if there are jobs out there and whats the range in the deep south like Mississippi. I have one year left before I graduated
(12-10-2019, 05:01 PM)xspect Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 02:55 PM)humboldtjake Wrote:

DO is the way to go. 

DO:
Touro University Nevada

MD:

Do you also recruit for mid-levels. Like Pysch Nurse practitioners (PMHNP). If so can you tell me if there are jobs out there and whats the range in the deep south like Mississippi. I have one year left before I graduated

My company is focusing on just doing telemedicine roles. We will be focusing heavily on rural areas in the South to help local clinics utilize augmented staff for psychiatric consultations.
This is amazing! Best of luck!
West Texas A&M: MBA (In Progress) 6/14 Completed
Financial Accounting Leveling (Completed)
Statistics Leveling (Completed)
Finance Leveling
Managerial Accounting
Corporate Finance
Economic Applications  (Completed)
Management Information Systems
Quantitative Analysis
Consumer Theory (Completed)
Leadership (Completed)
Business Integration
International Business (Completed)
Elective
Capstone

TESU (Graduated 2016)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kaskadian's post:
  • MSK9
(12-10-2019, 10:04 PM)Kaskadian Wrote: This is amazing! Best of luck!

Thank you!
TESU BALS Humanities
CASPer Done MCAT Done
Update:

St. George's University School of Medicine (MD):
Accepted

*I have until March to pay my reservation deposit, so I'll definitely be holding out a bit longer to see if any other interviews come my way.
TESU BALS Humanities
CASPer Done MCAT Done
[-] The following 5 users Like MSK9's post:
  • alexf.1990, allvia, cookderosa, GoodYellowDogs, tesu-acct-student

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate School after Charter Oak/TESU Elizabethcl 8 759 6 hours ago
Last Post: jonesy20
  Mysonx3's Law School Thread mysonx3 6 518 01-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  National Law School Tuition Search SweetSecret 0 107 01-06-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Master's Program at Harvard Extension School HogwartsSchool 17 1,454 12-31-2019, 02:52 AM
Last Post: alexf.1990
  New from Harvard Extension School Jonathan Whatley 87 5,899 07-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD bjcheung77 117 17,298 07-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Graduate School hesitation - MBA or CS/Data Science? NolaRice 4 505 05-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  California Southern University Law School - No Longer Enrolling Sacricolist 10 1,132 03-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: addision
  Question for Big Three Gads who Went on to Grad School retro 19 1,701 03-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Last Post: kevinmane
  Graduate School Musings hsfamfun 11 1,231 02-13-2019, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Zo_ey