Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math - Looking for Guidance
Happy Holidays everyone!

For my degree program (TESU: BSBA-Finance), I will need to take the following Math courses:

MAT-121 (Study.com MATH 103)
STA-201 (Study.com Statistics 101)

I thought I could force my way through MATH 103 over at study.com, but I was WRONG!  It has been more than 2 decades since I had to work on this stuff. I feel like the person in the video is speaking in Mandarin and I am trying to order a cheeseburger.

Anyway, I realize I need to take a few steps back.  I am considering using Khan Academy, but I am unsure how far back or the proper course sequence I should take to prep me for the MATH 103 and STATISTICS 101. I am willing to do the work, I just don't want to be frustrated.

Additionally, I want to take advantage of the 2 courses per month through study.com and don't want to be stuck on the math. I would prefer to move onto something that won't make me crazy.

When I was a kid, practice problems always helped me.  If anyone has any thoughts or guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Gloddy
Khan Academy is good, and I would suggest that you go all the way back to the beginning - Pre-Algebra would probably work. It won't take you long to get through it, but you just start there and work your way through Algebra I & II - College Algebra covers both. Then do Stats.

Another option is to take Study.com's Math 97, 98 & 99 - Intro to Mathematical Reasoning, Math for Everyday Life, and Essential of Algebra and Statistics. None are credit-bearing at TESU, but they might get you up to speed. You can do those as just courses where you aren't going to take a final, so they won't count against your 2 exams per month, and then take whatever other courses you want to take for the finals.

I feel your pain, I am having to get through Stats right now, and it is completely out of my league. But I'm getting through...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Gloddy
I think Math 97 from study.com transfers 2 math credits at TESU according to the transfer guide. Just FYI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes homeschoolmom1's post:
  • Gloddy
I'm with Dfrecore - go to Khan and give yourself enough time to start where you need to. When is the last time you had to divide fractions? Exactly.
Start at addition if you want, there is no one there to give you a bad grade for not learning something quickly enough or on the first pass. I think you'll find that when the motivation to learn is internal, you'll enjoy the process a lot more. Take notes, go slow, marinate and get your math on baby! Smile

PS. I used Khan Academy's whole Stats and Probability video series to study for and pass the DSST Stats exam. I've never taken Algebra (I took pre-algebra in high school) so if ***I*** can do it with no math background, you can too.
Another very good source for learning college algebra is edready.org Their program and videos are WAY better than any other on the market, and are free.

Also, for what it's worth - the easiest College Alegbra exam out there is Saylor (believe it or not). I tried TESU College Algebra (failed), Study.com (got frustrated), Straighterline (way too much work, and I can't learn from a book), CLEP (too much material to cover). Instead, I used edready.org to prepare for Saylor, and passed it easily.

None of the other Saylor exams are easy (in my opinion), but the College Algebra one is quite doable. Even for someone who hasn't done math in 30 years
[-] The following 1 user Likes bsimi's post:
  • Gloddy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU BA MATH plan - feedback appreciated MeOldChina 8 2,865 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: MeOldChina
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,397 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,345 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Excelsior Math Reqs Iamtehking 1 1,165 05-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Kima
  Need some guidance rfisher1977 0 708 04-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: rfisher1977
  TESU Math & CS AOS Degree Plan Yenisei 12 2,915 04-06-2018, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Math for TESU BSBA Finance (MAT121 or MAT119) Gloddy 8 2,056 03-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
Big Grin TESU guidance needed please Tripletmom 8 1,874 03-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP + College Math CLEP ? Silly_Me 6 2,492 03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: triforce828