Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Experience with Lumerit
Hello all, 

Long time reader but first time poster here. Let me say first that this forum and the super helpful people on it are the main reason that I'll finally be graduating from TESU soon. I've found answers to all my questions just by digging through past threads. 

Now that I'm officially done with Lumerit I thought I would share my final thoughts. I know that Lumerit\ CollegePLus isn't popular around here, so let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of Lumerit, consider it a huge waste of money, and generally speaking wouldn't recommend them. BUT in certain situations it may be a viable option. First let me share my thoughts about the company as a whole. 

In 2016 I reached out to College Plus for more info after a friend recommended them to me. I had already completed several CLEP's in high school but hadn't heard of this forum and had literally no idea what to do next. The guy I spoke with was super nice and convinced me to join for $1900 down and $200 per month plus the cost of courses. What I wasn't told was that the company was in the process of re-branding as Lumerit and all the enrollment plans would soon be changing. I can't remember what Lumerit's initial pricing was, but I did the math at the time and discovered that I'd been screwed over. Not a happy camper. 

Overall I would say that College Plus/Lumerit staff and coaches were great. Super nice, helpful, and answered most my questions. I say most my questions because my coach told me that he was instructed by Lumerit to not discuss Straighterline, Study.com or any other course provider that may be a competitor to Lumerit. Because I was paying per month and per course things were getting really expensive. It was in the process of searching for other options that I found this forum. Needless to say it was only a short while later that I quit Lumerit. 

The Courses: Basically each course is made up of 12 to 15 modules. Included is a complete PDF textbook and set of slides to review for each module. There is a graded quiz at the end of each module, a graded test every three modules plus the final. All tests and quizzes are open book, timed, and unproctored. The final only makes up 20% of the final grade. For the most part these courses are quite easy and can be breezed through rather quickly. Honestly, the courses were fine and I have no complaints. 

I haven't got around to adding up how much I paid Lumerit for the 10 or so courses I completed. I'm sure it would make me sick. The only benefit here is that TESU waived the Cornerstone and Residency waiver because of a now expired affiliation agreement with Lumerit. This helped to at least somewhat to offset the exorbitant price that I paid per course. 

Is there any situation in which Lumerit makes sense? Maybe. 

1) If you need courses with RA. Lumerit offers courses with regional accreditation through Waldorf University. 

The standard plan is $5400 for eight courses. That's $225 per credit hour. BUT, getting the RA transcript added to a course was $100 per course.  I have no idea what it may cost now. 

2) You're super motivated. The unlimited plan is $7500 for unlimited courses in a 12 month period. If you happen to be super motivated and completed around a course a week this could be a cost effective option. Because the courses are open book and unproctored, they are seriously easy and could easily be completed in a week once you figure out how they work. I have no doubt that I could go back and complete at least some of them in a single day. 

The bottom line: my experience with Lumerit is made up of some good, much bad, and at least a little ugly. Sorry this is so long! I just got off work and am too tired to proof read the jumble of random thoughts I just jotted down. Hopefully its helpful to someone!
[-] The following 3 users Like TheAccountant's post:
  • Muldoon, TacticalTechie, triforce828
Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them.

I will say that I don't personally think there's any situation that lumerit would be worth it. They offer almost exactly the same LL courses as most other providers but at a higher cost. Even if one did every class they offered in a year(~50 classes) it would still be more expensive than taking the equivalent amount of classes through SL, SDC and others. Also, programs like WGU and some other competency based RA schools offer a year of all you take classes for the same or less money.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • jsd
I'm sorry they screwed you over! I had a pretty negative experience with them too, but that was back in 2007/8. I did get some good things out of the experience itself, but overall, it was a huge bust. I almost went back to them too because they're all I knew to get a degree cheaper and faster. But looking on their website just didn't make me feel like they were any more honest than before. Fortunately, someone directed me to this forum, for which I am incredibly grateful!!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
I really appreciate your openness about your experience. (They've rebranded again, they are now called Unbound)

I am confused about *exactly* how their relationship with Waldorf University works. I can see their ACE approved courses in the catalog. They are:
SOC240: Community Service Learning
BUS201: Introduction to Entrepreneurship
ENG131: Composition and Reading I
ENG131: Composition and Reading II
PHIL113: Comparative Worldviews
PSI131: Earth Science, Earth Science with Lab
COMM396: Leadership and Management Com (not upper level)
COMM394: Leadership Theory and Practice (not upper level)
SOSCI280: Social Justice from a Biblical Perspective

So, is there a *different* catalog of courses that they are offering for that price? If so, are they LITERALLY offered through the university and LITERALLY on a university's transcript? Or is this a case of what onlinedegree is doing where the credit is simply being ACCEPTED by a college (Excelsior in their case) which generates a transcript? I'm curious if you know - if you don't that's ok. But, when you say "unlimited" courses, does that list extend beyond the classes I've listed above??? Thank you again, I have a few more questions, I really apprecate your help!
(11-28-2018, 10:27 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I really appreciate your openness about your experience.  (They've rebranded again, they are now called Unbound)

I am confused about *exactly* how their relationship with Waldorf University works.  I can see their ACE approved courses in the catalog. They are:
SOC240: Community Service Learning
BUS201: Introduction to Entrepreneurship
ENG131: Composition and Reading I
ENG131: Composition and Reading II
PHIL113: Comparative Worldviews
PSI131: Earth Science, Earth Science with Lab
COMM396: Leadership and Management Com (not upper level)
COMM394: Leadership Theory and Practice (not upper level)
SOSCI280: Social Justice from a Biblical Perspective

So, is there a *different* catalog of courses that they are offering for that price?  If so, are they LITERALLY offered through the university and LITERALLY on a university's transcript? Or is this a case of what onlinedegree is doing where the credit is simply being ACCEPTED by a college (Excelsior in their case) which generates a transcript?  I'm curious if you know - if you don't that's ok.  But, when you say "unlimited" courses, does that list extend beyond the classes I've listed above???  Thank you again, I have a few more questions, I really apprecate your help!

Yeah I saw that very few of their courses had ACE recommendation.
The lumerit site shows about 50 or so "courses" https://lumerit.com/courses
But without ACE, RA or specific college partnerships, those courses would probably be useless. And paying $100 EXTRA(to already overpriced courses) to have them RA transcripted and maybe still not usable, just seems like an extreme ripoff.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thanks for posting your experience TheAccountant!

So many of my friends in the homeschool group ask me about CollegePlus/Lumerit/Unbound. They think they need to have an advisor to guide them through this process or they are under the impression CP/L/U is the only way for their high school student to earn a degree. And this is even AFTER I tell them my kids earned their degrees without their help. Argh.
Well they're right about needing an advisor, but isn't that what dfrecore is here for?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • dfrecore
(11-28-2018, 10:27 PM)cookderosa Wrote:  (They've rebranded again, they are now called Unbound)

Thanks for pointing this out. I missed this when it happened. It's infuriating.

It's also an extremely common tactic that shady companies use to try to outrun their past and keep un-savvy consumers in the dark.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • davewill, MNomadic
(11-28-2018, 11:34 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Well they're right about needing an advisor, but isn't that what dfrecore is here for?

I'd be happy to do it for like 1/2 the cost!!  Big Grin

(11-28-2018, 10:27 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I really appreciate your openness about your experience.  (They've rebranded again, they are now called Unbound)

I am confused about *exactly* how their relationship with Waldorf University works.  I can see their ACE approved courses in the catalog. They are:

So, is there a *different* catalog of courses that they are offering for that price?  If so, are they LITERALLY offered through the university and LITERALLY on a university's transcript? Or is this a case of what onlinedegree is doing where the credit is simply being ACCEPTED by a college (Excelsior in their case) which generates a transcript?  I'm curious if you know - if you don't that's ok.  But, when you say "unlimited" courses, does that list extend beyond the classes I've listed above???  Thank you again, I have a few more questions, I really apprecate your help!

I wonder how Westcott works as well.  Sounds similar, except the pricing (Westcott is much more open about their pricing, and their courses automatically come on an RA transcript).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Unbound takes advantage of naive, homeschooling families looking to shelter their kids, especially their daughters, from the world. It's much cheaper to go to a community college.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,365 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,863 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,377 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  Experience with Alison? SCYankee 10 1,454 06-27-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can anyone share their experience with Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU? lorabel 7 1,506 03-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Free 6 Month Subscription to Coursera Google, Facebook, & IBM, It Certs Experience LevelUP 22 4,612 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  Sophia.org Experience HBCIRCA14 7 1,379 02-03-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: HBCIRCA14
  Does anyone have experience resubmitting assignments on SDC? daharamu 7 2,193 12-19-2020, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Coopersmith Experience knaves 23 3,402 09-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Goldentriangle
  Experience with Coopersmith Courses? Nell0330 11 4,157 11-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Last Post: shaas