Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey: BA in English from TESU
(01-03-2019, 12:11 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I talked to TESU's advising today and they said they can't count African Encounters as both a required course and an elective, so I still need 2 UL. The adviser suggested taking their other non-Western lit course, and also BYU's course. I asked about Coopersmith's Poetry course and she said she'd never heard of it so I guess that's a maybe.

I have to really say that Shmoop getting kicked messed this whole process up good and tbh if I had it to do over again I would have picked a different 2nd major for the other half of this degree.

Prices are probably higher now, but you have other options. From an old post by dfrecore:

U of Idaho IS ($510) - ENGL 4476: Shakespeare
CSU-Pueblo IS ($555) - ENG 354: Rediscovering the Fairy Tale & ENG 370: Women Writers of SciFi

I would see what courses they have now. Maybe different ones.

(01-03-2019, 01:59 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 12:11 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I talked to TESU's advising today and they said they can't count African Encounters as both a required course and an elective, so I still need 2 UL. The adviser suggested taking their other non-Western lit course, and also BYU's course. I asked about Coopersmith's Poetry course and she said she'd never heard of it so I guess that's a maybe.

I have to really say that Shmoop getting kicked messed this whole process up good and tbh if I had it to do over again I would have picked a different 2nd major for the other half of this degree.

Prices are probably higher now, but you have other options. From an old post by dfrecore:

U of Idaho IS ($510) - ENGL 4476: Shakespeare
CSU-Pueblo IS ($555) - ENG 354: Rediscovering the Fairy Tale & ENG 370: Women Writers of SciFi

I would see what courses they have now. Maybe different ones.

I've been looking at U of Idaho and CSU Pueblo IS courses lately and as far as I can tell those prices are still accurate.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Ideas
(12-25-2018, 06:08 AM)Ideas Wrote: In another thread, I found that dfrecore mentioned this course: Penn Foster ($379) - Advanced Composition UL So if anyone needs another UL, that's a decent price. It might or might not work. You would have to check with TESU to be sure it doesn't duplicate.

I considered this course, but if you look at the course syllabus, the time/effort requirement is enormous (this thread about their English Composition I course gives an idea—I'd imagine an Advanced Composition UL course would be either similar or more work).
(01-03-2019, 01:20 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Did they specifically tell you that would mean you need another UL? Because the way you seem to be understanding it (that a certain number of your ELECTIVES have to be UL) isn't how it works for most degrees.

yes, they specifically said I would need another UL course. it isn't "the way i seem to be understanding it", it's the way they said it.

now if it's wrong then it's wrong but they were very clear that i would need to take another UL Lit course to get this degree.

I already have 2 Shakespeare courses on my transcript but I wouldn't mind to try the Fairy Tale or Women's Sci Fi ones, I will investigate those.

Currently I'm on-track to finish this degree in March as long as I can find another UL Lit course so I will figure something out.

I just looked on CSU Pueblo and the only 2 UL English courses I see are "Gender and Communication" and "Young Adult Lit"

so I dunno. At this point I'm just going to do the stuff I'm already signed up for and worry about it in a month or so.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Study.com is apparently working on Non-Western Lit, or I hope so. I just noticed they have a non-credit course up with 62 quizzes and no assignments (yet). Hopefully they add the assignment(s) and get it approved by ACE. My guess is that it will take until June or later.

yeah they have alot of courses that they're trying to flesh out. they have been working on Historical Methods for quite awhile too.

it will only get easier for people to do these degrees as time goes by fortunately but I can't wait that long so I'll have to cobble something together one way or another
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

(01-10-2019, 10:56 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: it will only get easier for people to do these degrees as time goes by fortunately but I can't wait that long so I'll have to cobble something together one way or another

Did you look at U of Idaho IS?

i'm looking it over now, actually. Any idea how long it takes to get set up with them?

BYU IS has a few English courses that appear to be upper level, though I know of at least one course from them (Social Psych) that looks like it should be UL but that TESU takes as LL. They were extremely easy to get set up with.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
That's good information to have, thank you. I had thought about using them but tbh I was really hoping I could make it work with the courses I had already picked.

Probably I will call TESU tomorrow and see what they will accept as UL credit before I worry about signing up for anything. But if they'll take something from BYU then I might go that way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch