Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My One Term WGU MBA
(if anyone wants to assist me with my stylizing, I have absolutely no experience in producing acceptable writing on this kind of board.) My journey started in December, when I came across the "Groupon MBA" from ENEB. I bought the groupon out of curiosity, and began the course. In my research of the validity of the degree, I came across this forum. Ultimately, I reached the conclusion that while I consider a "titulo propio" to be a valid degree, I do not want to spend that much time working on something that can be so quickly dismissed with a google search showing it as the groupon degree.  By then, I had the bug to get back in school though (Thanks ENEB!) and discovered WGU. I liked the pedigree, I like the accreditation. I like that nobody can in good faith argue the validity of the degree. I enrolled and set off on a goal to complete my degree in one year. 
I got started on my first class in March 2020, and realized that the "Move at your own pace" style of WGU was right up my alley. I no longer had to sit through lectures waiting for everyone else to understand the material. I used youtube, textbooks, the great courses, and even the MBA for dummies books to absorb the material as quickly as possible. One class after another I started knocking them out. I reached the capstone in the first week of July, 4 months after I began. I was certainly on track to finish the capstone before the end of my first term on August 31st. All of this, while working a full time job with the federal government, and 5 nights a week at a local restaurant. Needless to say, I was exhausted.
Life does not always go in the direction that we plan, unfortunately. On the night of July 18th, while I was working at the restaurant, I got a phone call from my husband. He was suicidal. I left the restaurant and raced home to help him. By the time I got home, he was gone from this world and my life forever.  Its difficult to differentiate between your own goals and your spouses when you have dreams to accomplish things together. Almost every single goal we had was shared between the two of us. With his loss, I had no reason to finish anything. The only goal that was mine, was my masters. 
WGU granted me a 30 day term extension to the end of September due to the circumstances, and in August I started back working on the capstone little by little whenever I could get my mind in the right place. Then on August 18th, exactly one month after the death of my husband, I was diagnosed with COVID. 2 weeks of achy muscles, brain fogs, and lung hacking. No motivation or energy to do any school work. I started seeing a therapist for the loss of my husband, as I was developing symptoms of PTSD. WGU was amazing and granted an additional term extension. It was another month before I was even able to look at school work again, after intense therapy with my psychiatrist, medication, and trying to figure out all my finances that my husband managed. at the end of October, I was finally able to sit down and get to work. My first assignment was submitted in the last week of October, and WGU gave me one last 30 day extension to complete the degree. I struggled through the beginning of November, and then in the final 2 weeks of November completed the remaining tasks for the capstone. 
While my degree was not completed in the typical 6 month deadline due to the circumstances, I am proud to say that 9 months after beginning my degree, I have an accredited MBA in Healthcare Management, and was accepted into AT Still University's Doctor of Health Sciences program with a concentration in Global Health. I plan to start a non-profit organization to provide access to mental health services to immigrants, LGBT, and other minorities that do not have access to these services. 
[-] The following 18 users Like Popestt's post:
  • allvia, brainfroze, cwendy111, dreke, inkleind, jch, LevelUP, Merlin, MissRN, moptop, nomaduser, quigongene, sanantone, ss20ts, StoicJ, TacticalTechie, TINASAM, Toastmaster
Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story though. Your perseverance and determination are absolutely inspirational!

I'm happy that you're able to make the best of such terrible circumstances and that you now have a new sense of purpose that will help you move forward while helping others.

Keep fighting the good fight! We're all rooting for you!  Big Grin
(12-02-2020, 06:43 PM)Popestt Wrote:
(if anyone wants to assist me with my stylizing, I have absolutely no experience in producing acceptable writing on this kind of board.) My journey started in December, when I came across the "Groupon MBA" from ENEB. I bought the groupon out of curiosity, and began the course. In my research of the validity of the degree, I came across this forum. Ultimately, I reached the conclusion that while I consider a "titulo propio" to be a valid degree, I do not want to spend that much time working on something that can be so quickly dismissed with a google search showing it as the groupon degree.  By then, I had the bug to get back in school though (Thanks ENEB!) and discovered WGU. I liked the pedigree, I like the accreditation. I like that nobody can in good faith argue the validity of the degree. I enrolled and set off on a goal to complete my degree in one year. 
I got started on my first class in March 2020, and realized that the "Move at your own pace" style of WGU was right up my alley. I no longer had to sit through lectures waiting for everyone else to understand the material. I used youtube, textbooks, the great courses, and even the MBA for dummies books to absorb the material as quickly as possible. One class after another I started knocking them out. I reached the capstone in the first week of July, 4 months after I began. I was certainly on track to finish the capstone before the end of my first term on August 31st. All of this, while working a full time job with the federal government, and 5 nights a week at a local restaurant. Needless to say, I was exhausted.
Life does not always go in the direction that we plan, unfortunately. On the night of July 18th, while I was working at the restaurant, I got a phone call from my husband. He was suicidal. I left the restaurant and raced home to help him. By the time I got home, he was gone from this world and my life forever.  Its difficult to differentiate between your own goals and your spouses when you have dreams to accomplish things together. Almost every single goal we had was shared between the two of us. With his loss, I had no reason to finish anything. The only goal that was mine, was my masters. 
WGU granted me a 30 day term extension to the end of September due to the circumstances, and in August I started back working on the capstone little by little whenever I could get my mind in the right place. Then on August 18th, exactly one month after the death of my husband, I was diagnosed with COVID. 2 weeks of achy muscles, brain fogs, and lung hacking. No motivation or energy to do any school work. I started seeing a therapist for the loss of my husband, as I was developing symptoms of PTSD. WGU was amazing and granted an additional term extension. It was another month before I was even able to look at school work again, after intense therapy with my psychiatrist, medication, and trying to figure out all my finances that my husband managed. at the end of October, I was finally able to sit down and get to work. My first assignment was submitted in the last week of October, and WGU gave me one last 30 day extension to complete the degree. I struggled through the beginning of November, and then in the final 2 weeks of November completed the remaining tasks for the capstone. 
While my degree was not completed in the typical 6 month deadline due to the circumstances, I am proud to say that 9 months after beginning my degree, I have an accredited MBA in Healthcare Management, and was accepted into AT Still University's Doctor of Health Sciences program with a concentration in Global Health. I plan to start a non-profit organization to provide access to mental health services to immigrants, LGBT, and other minorities that do not have access to these services. 

I am profoundly touched by your story and can't even begin to find the words.

You really, truly were inspirational even before your husband's death, after, it really does defy words.

I was involved in starting a national organization/NFP in Canada for veterans around mental health issues and if you ever wish to bounce ideas or talk, would consider it a privledge.

Well done, self care and thank you for sharing,

Chris
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
My condolences, I feel for your loss. You are truly amazing and inspirational! I was pretty emotional when I was reading your post, you showed persistence and pride to complete your degree during these circumstances. I applaud you for such an awesome work-ethic and character. Congrats on the Doctor of Health Sciences admission! You rock! Keep the momentum going!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Your story is certainly one if resilience and determination, congratulations! My heart goes out to you on losing your husband. I hope you two with be together again in whatever comes after this life.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
My condolences, you really touched me by reading your story. It makes myself to push harder to complete MBA.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

This is one of the most impactful stories and testimony that I have ever read here, and I have been here for YEARS, under two user names. (Forgot the password to the first one.)

May you be blessed in all that you do, and congratulations on your PHENOMENAL achievement, despite the odds and your circumstances. Thank you.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
The "groupon degree" thing is not accurate and it's unfair to characterize it that way. Groupon doesn't offer degrees, they are just an outlet for promotions just the same as they have Doctor's offering promotions for visits, and companies offering promotions for painting, roofing, and any number of other things.

I think we can all agree that a WGU MBA is a better option by comparison. That said, for people concerned about the groupon MBA promotion, they should also consider some concern about people dismissing WGU MBA degrees when someone Google's and finds all the postings about fast finishes (regardless of the fact those "in the know" are aware that the fast finishes are atypical compared to the longer finish times of the total userbase). Believe me, there are plenty of people out there who take a negative position against WGU over that, I'm not one of those people, but I point this out to illustrate that even a WGU degree is not bulletproof to criticism: the blog by Felix Wong is often used as a case example to degrade the WGU degree. Fair? Nope.

Anyway, your story is something. Thanks for sharing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • rachel83az
Well, I just don't know how you did it. Someone (Winston Churchill?) said, "When you're going through hell, keep going."

You certainly managed to do that, and I'm in awe. How you got through such terrible life events is inspirational.

Take care.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for success at WGU (to finish in a single term) Merlin 2 5,201 01-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  WGU MBA Reddit - Finish in 1 term bjcheung77 26 11,956 10-31-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU term breaks? KellyClyde 0 3,297 09-25-2020, 12:27 PM
Last Post: KellyClyde
  WGU BS-CS in 1 term? THEBLASTFUN 17 4,677 03-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Last Post: xicovu
  Is ten courses at WGU in one term going to make me crazy? udi 18 6,895 06-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: akr680
  WGU Term Start/Acceptance Question...... Toastmaster 14 3,898 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU - Discount for Last Term if it's Only the Capstone? rowan555 2 7,024 05-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Last Post: rowan555
  WGU - How Many Courses Per Term to Shoot For? rowan555 6 7,437 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore