Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My current Masters path
Currently, I have fully completed two applications and I was denied by one here locally. Even with a GPA of 3.52. However, TESU just called to inform me I was accepted into their MA program. My funding is unusual since I have federal and state funding and student loan repayment programs. I can now use TESU to get my funding and they just end up mailing me a check. I then use the money to take classes at UAF. I really like the Rutgers online MA program and will continue doing the application process. The issue I have is with references since I don’t feel comfortable asking my professors to send more than two.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(03-11-2019, 02:27 PM)vetvso Wrote: Currently, I have fully completed two applications and I was denied by one here locally. Even with a GPA of 3.52. However, TESU just called to inform me I was accepted into their MA program. My funding is unusual since I have federal and state funding and student loan repayment programs. I can now use TESU to get my funding and they just end up mailing me a check. I then use the money to take classes at UAF. I really like the Rutgers online MA program and will continue doing the application process. The issue I have is with references since I don’t feel comfortable asking my professors to send more than two.

Do you have a plan for your references? What are they asking for?
I have used up most of my current references. However, I am always taking other classes and those newer professors will be used for additional applications. I have two more to ask in May and I will keep going until I get into something interesting.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
Rejected with a GPA of 3.52?? Is this some super elite institution where students with a 3.9-4.0 GPA are accepted? Did they offer any reasons for turning down your application?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(03-18-2019, 02:15 AM)Supermind Wrote: Rejected with a GPA of 3.52?? Is this some super elite institution where students with a 3.9-4.0 GPA are accepted? Did they offer any reasons for turning down your application?

They only accept a few people per year and they accepted a few women from Europe. I'm not too worried about it and will get into another here in another department. It will just take some more time.
(03-11-2019, 02:27 PM)vetvso Wrote: ... The issue I have is with references since I don’t feel comfortable asking my professors to send more than two.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Most professors have been in your position (needing reference letters) a few times in their lives, and understand that they are a part of the job.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
They have the letter saved. They're sending out the same one over and over again.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(03-18-2019, 11:50 AM)davewill Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 02:27 PM)vetvso Wrote: ... The issue I have is with references since I don’t feel comfortable asking my professors to send more than two.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Most professors have been in your position (needing reference letters) a few times in their lives, and understand that they are a part of the job.

I think your right, however, for me, it's a matter of professionalism. I will ask a few to write several recommendations and some of my colleagues from overseas have helped. I am a little surprised at the amount of time it takes and the waiting process has been very long.
Today I had a meeting with the department chair of my foreign language program. I was told that I needed to consider doing a study abroad program in Germany where I could finish my advanced German for UAF and get some Masters level credit for my Graduate courses in Foreign languages, ancient history, and Archaeology. UAF has an exchange program and I would only have to pay UAF prices. I would be able to apply some of my funding and they said they would help me to get some scholarships.
(03-11-2019, 02:27 PM)vetvso Wrote: Currently, I have fully completed two applications and I was denied by one here locally. Even with a GPA of 3.52. However, TESU just called to inform me I was accepted into their MA program. My funding is unusual since I have federal and state funding and student loan repayment programs. I can now use TESU to get my funding and they just end up mailing me a check. I then use the money to take classes at UAF. I really like the Rutgers online MA program and will continue doing the application process. The issue I have is with references since I don’t feel comfortable asking my professors to send more than two.
Hi vetvso 
Can you double check if Rutgers offer online for MA. I asked for online MBA. They does not have 100% online for all the courses. Also if you go for their open event, you can get waive application of $75 fee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 261 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,616 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,587 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,132 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,272 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3