Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.J. Governor Wants to Merge Thomas Edison Into Rutgers
N.J. Governor Wants to Merge Thomas Edison Into Rutgers

New Jersey's governor on Tuesday proposed an austere budget for higher education (and most everything else), recommending a cut of about 15 percent in operating funds and a reduction of nearly 5 percent in financial aid for students. But the most stunning aspect of the governor's 2011 budget plan for public college officials was its proposal (see page 33) to strip Thomas Edison State College of $5.6 million in state funds and merge the online education institution into Rutgers University. The governor's budget plan bills the merger as a logical way to bring Rutgers's brand of classroom-based learning to Trenton, which is home to Thomas Edison, while "leveraging the two institutions' distance learning programming." Under the merger, Rutgers would also take over the State Museum and Library that Thomas Edison now oversees, for a total savings of $8.4 million. Public college officials, though, note that Trenton already has a classroom-based public institution, the College of New Jersey, and that enormous, research-oriented Rutgers would make an unlikely and discordant overseer of Thomas Edison's unusual brand of personalized education for adult students and overseas military personnel. Thomas Edison officials reportedly did not learn about the proposed merger until early Tuesday, and could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Thanks to Scaredrain over at Dinfo for the link to this.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:N.J. Governor Wants to Merge Thomas Edison Into Rutgers

New Jersey's governor on Tuesday proposed an austere budget for higher education (and most everything else), recommending a cut of about 15 percent in operating funds and a reduction of nearly 5 percent in financial aid for students. But the most stunning aspect of the governor's 2011 budget plan for public college officials was its proposal (see page 33) to strip Thomas Edison State College of $5.6 million in state funds and merge the online education institution into Rutgers University. The governor's budget plan bills the merger as a logical way to bring Rutgers's brand of classroom-based learning to Trenton, which is home to Thomas Edison, while "leveraging the two institutions' distance learning programming." Under the merger, Rutgers would also take over the State Museum and Library that Thomas Edison now oversees, for a total savings of $8.4 million. Public college officials, though, note that Trenton already has a classroom-based public institution, the College of New Jersey, and that enormous, research-oriented Rutgers would make an unlikely and discordant overseer of Thomas Edison's unusual brand of personalized education for adult students and overseas military personnel. Thomas Edison officials reportedly did not learn about the proposed merger until early Tuesday, and could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Thanks to Scaredrain over at Dinfo for the link to this.

holy Sh*t... is this good for us or bad for us who picked up an AS or BS from Thomas Edison?
the rutgers name is pretty strong!
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
I think that would be more than likely good news, especially for the current students. Depending on how far along you are with your requirements you may be able to attain a Rutgers degree. Although, I'm sure for future students admissions will probably become stringent. Rutgers has a strong reputation nationwide but especially here in the northeast. My sister and a lot of her friends graduated from there, they're all nerds and proud of it hilarious . Also, I think for TESC alumni it would sound pretty good telling people you graduated from a school that merged with Rutgers.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Did they mention a time frame for this merger....:eek:

(I'll google it)
Started 5/09
*** EXAMS PASSED***
[SIZE="1"]Hist I & II, American Gov, Intro to Comp, Prin of Markt, Intro to Bus,
Civil War and Recon, HTYH, A&I Lit, SS & His, Intro Soc, Subs Abuse,
Human G & D , Fund of Coun, Western Civ I, II, Freshman Comp, Vietnam War, Europe Since 1945, Ethics, Technical Writing, Intro to Modern Middle East[SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

TESC:
FEMA: PD Series
ALEK :[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE="1"][I]
“I think therefore I am” Rene Descartes
"Grant me the strength to change the things I can; the serenity to accept the things I can’t... and the wisdom to know the difference".Smile Smile
[/SIZE]
[/B][/I]
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Navy"]For those who believe, no proof is necessary; for those who don't believe, no proof is possible. [I][I][I][I][SIZE="1"]Stuart Chase[/SIZE][/I][/I][/I][/I]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Quick Takes: N.J. Governor Wants to Merge Thomas Edison Into Rutgers - Inside Higher Ed
jacanyardie Wrote:Did they mention a time frame for this merger....:eek:

(I'll google it)

Its for the 2011 budget plan, so it would likely be during the course of the year, if it actually passes.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:Its for the 2011 budget plan, so it would likely be during the course of the year, if it actually passes.

I .....don't want to be caught in the transition.

A New Model for the Revitalization of Trenton’s Cultural District
The Governor’s Fiscal 2011 Budget replicates Rutgers’ central role in the revitalization of downtown New
Brunswick by proposing to bring Rutgers to the Capital City through a merger with Thomas Edison State
College. Thomas Edison’s instructional program is not primarily provided through a traditional classroom
model; Rutgers offers both on-line and classroom-based programs. The combination will allow new
classroom-based services for students in Trenton, while leveraging the two institutions’ distance learning
programming.

The Budget also proposes that Rutgers, which has experience operating its own library and museum, take
over the operations of the State Library (which is currently overseen by Thomas Edison College) and the State
Museum. A lack of consistent State and private support has prevented the State Library and State Museum
from meeting their full potential as cultural and economic assets for Trenton and New Jersey.
Started 5/09
*** EXAMS PASSED***
[SIZE="1"]Hist I & II, American Gov, Intro to Comp, Prin of Markt, Intro to Bus,
Civil War and Recon, HTYH, A&I Lit, SS & His, Intro Soc, Subs Abuse,
Human G & D , Fund of Coun, Western Civ I, II, Freshman Comp, Vietnam War, Europe Since 1945, Ethics, Technical Writing, Intro to Modern Middle East[SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

TESC:
FEMA: PD Series
ALEK :[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE="1"][I]
“I think therefore I am” Rene Descartes
"Grant me the strength to change the things I can; the serenity to accept the things I can’t... and the wisdom to know the difference".Smile Smile
[/SIZE]
[/B][/I]
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Navy"]For those who believe, no proof is necessary; for those who don't believe, no proof is possible. [I][I][I][I][SIZE="1"]Stuart Chase[/SIZE][/I][/I][/I][/I]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
This is interesting. I was thinking about enrolling at TESC in the fall. Maybe I should enroll now.
This is wild. I was putting off applying but I just applied a few minutes ago because of this.

Thanks for posting this.
This is possibly GREAT news, not many people know of TESC, but Rutgers? WOW. maybe I will go with TESC for Grad school. Please keep us updated.

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree avi_learning 35 3,144 08-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: avi_learning
  Equivalent to SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University thepoetvd776 4 1,228 02-17-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thomas Edison Art geissingert 12 2,347 05-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU Alumni - Can you logon to OSS/My Edison? bjcheung77 2 980 02-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Current list of study.com courses that Thomas Edison accepts? sharsharky 3 1,097 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Thomas Edison BSBA International Business Help DarthArbiter00 9 1,760 06-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Thomas edison state university operational management clydeben 6 1,633 05-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Does Thomas Edison State University still accept Penn Foster's Fin 101? AmyPerez82 2 1,278 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Completed Associate Degree from Thomas Edison - A Few Tips jumpstart 4 1,812 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Was there ever an Edison State College? sanantone 9 1,888 11-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Last Post: davewill