Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMJC vs UNE Science Prereqs?
I'd rather take everything in one or two places. Clovis seems to have everything I need LL except for Biology I, unless I am reading the course catalogue wrong. Are either of these the right one for my goals?
BIOL 113 - Biology for General Ed / Lab
BIOL 115 - Human Biology and Lab

I have this as a progression/course plan to fit 95% of the requirements of a PA application (CASPA/Direct)

Course Progression
Semester 1
Clovis: General Bio I & Lab - ???
Clovis: General Chemistry I & Lab - CHEM 151
Clovis: Statistics

Semester 2
UNE: General Chemistry II & Lab – CHEM 1011
Clovis: Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab – BIOL 211
Clovis: Microbiology & Lab – BIOL 222

Semester 3
Clovis: Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab – BIOL 212
UNE: Genetics Lecture & Lab – BIOL 1040
UNE: Organic Chemistry I & Lab – CHEM 1020
UNE: Possible/Optional: Biochemistry – CHEM 1005
Ah, I just saw your other thread. Yeah, NMJC, Clovis, and Luna or some of the New Mexico colleges may offer online science courses. Each semester has 8 or 16 weeks...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Also, not sure if it was mentioned but I believe the UNE courses are asynchronous / self-paced.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
(02-13-2018, 11:17 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'd rather take everything in one or two places. Clovis seems to have everything I need LL except for Biology I, unless I am reading the course catalogue wrong. Are either of these the right one for my goals?

I have this as a progression/course plan to fit 95% of the requirements of a PA application (CASPA/Direct)

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

If I were in your shoes, I'd do a few things differently.
(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky. There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(2) you're missing biology 2 - which you need for sure. Preferably before you start A&P sequence.
(3) biochemistry is sometimes called Organic Chemistry II, so I see it's optional, but you really wouldn't take it simultaneously with orgo 1, you'd take it after.
(4) while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester. Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.
(02-17-2018, 08:46 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 11:17 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'd rather take everything in one or two places. Clovis seems to have everything I need LL except for Biology I, unless I am reading the course catalogue wrong. Are either of these the right one for my goals?

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky.  There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(2) you're missing biology 2 - which you need for sure. Preferably before you start A&P sequence.
(3) biochemistry is sometimes called Organic Chemistry II, so I see it's optional, but you really wouldn't take it simultaneously with orgo 1, you'd take it after.  
(4)  while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester.   Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.

Thanks I appreciate it. You're making a lot of sense! I've edited the schedule a bit. I will need to find a place to do Semester 1 that will match with Semester 2 for the sequential courses. Thoughts? I also have to make sure the place I take BIO will let me enroll without Chem first. Otherwise this is a cluster.

Semester 1
General Biology I & Lab
General Chemistry I & Lab
Statistics

Semester 2
Biology 2 & Lab
CHEM 1B: General Chemistry II & Lab
Rio Salado - BIOL 211: Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab

Semester 3
LBCC - BIO 2: General Microbiology
LBCC - CHEM 12A: Organic Chemistry
UNE - BIOL 1040: Genetics Lecture & Lab
Rio Salado - BIOL 212: Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab

Semester 4
UNE CHEM 1005: Biochemistry
(02-17-2018, 05:26 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote:

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky. There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(4) while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester. Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.

Thanks I appreciate it. You're making a lot of sense! I've edited the schedule a bit. I will need to find a place to do Semester 1 that will match with Semester 2 for the sequential courses. Thoughts? I also have to make sure the place I take BIO will let me enroll without Chem first. Otherwise this is a cluster.

Semester 1
General Biology I & Lab
Statistics

Semester 2
Biology 2 & Lab

Semester 3

Semester 4

if your head doesn't explode during semester 3, you'll be all set Wink
This may not even be an issue, but when I looked several years ago, it was easier to find part 1 in fall and part 2 in spring- it was HARD to find part 1 in spring and part 2 in summer, etc. So if you have the option, you may want semester 1 to be a fall start. (That may no longer be a barrier)
PS did you see the list of Berkley Extension courses I posted on your other thread? I can't remember it now....
I did yes, however they told me at USC that these courses specifically won't work for them. I guess they are familiar with the Extension service and said I'd need to try a different college/Uni.

And you're right, I am concerned about finding a start in Spring for I, but my plan right now is to try to find an 8 weeker BIO 1 starting ASAP that also has a BIO 2 available both online. Ocean has one starting soon. Still juggling things around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-17-2018, 09:11 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I did yes, however they told me at USC that these courses specifically won't work for them. I guess they are familiar with the Extension service and said I'd need to try a different college/Uni.

And you're right, I am concerned about finding a start in Spring for I, but my plan right now is to try to find an 8 weeker BIO 1 starting ASAP that also has a BIO 2 available both online. Ocean has one starting soon. Still juggling things around.

You need to find out *why* the Berkeley courses are a no-go. That's exceptionally interesting, and you need to dig on that one.
Cheeseburrito

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky.  There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(4)  while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester.   Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.

Semester 1
General Biology I & Lab
Statistics

Semester 2
Biology 2 & Lab

Semester 3

Semester 4

Can you send me a link to the Clovis courses? For some reason I can't find those courses.Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,162 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,870 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,841 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 596 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 747 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill