Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMJC vs UNE Science Prereqs?
Howddddy!

I found what seemed like a super cool, trendy way to grab some science prerequisites: https://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/
It seems like these would be a no-brainer to qualify. Then I remembered we researched NMJC and found that my target schools will take those science classes because they are similar in learning and labs as many in-person Universities (according to USC admissions.)

So I suppose my question is this: Is there a benefit in taking my prereqs through UNE as opposed to NMJC?
1. Monetarily UNE is about 3-5x the cost.
2. There may be a degree of distinction in choosing a uni over a JC.
3. As a result of the cost the program may be easier to learn from??

What do you guys think? These classes/credits are required to be considered during the PA school application stage and as a result I don't want to mess around if there's a way to do it right.

Many thanks! Big Grin
NMJC works for the lower-level ones, and then UNE for the others like OChem, BioChem. They've been mentioned on here for those which a CC doesn't usually have. It depends on your finances and how many you need?

(02-12-2018, 08:45 PM)Ideas Wrote: NMJC works for the lower-level ones, and then UNE for the others like OChem, BioChem. They've been mentioned on here for those which a CC doesn't usually have. It depends on your finances and how many you need?

That's perfect then! I'll plan to get the LL through NM and then UNE for the others. I need a few of them so if I can limit the damage financially that'd be nice. Wink
Thanks! I didn't imagine this being resolved so quickly.
I'll be taking the UNE science courses as my post-baccalaureate program for medical school. I'm not sure what your  goals are but most medical schools accept those as prerequisites. You're right on about the cost though.. they are VERY expensive and the lab materials cost extra if you opt to take those. What are you planning to do educationally?
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
(02-12-2018, 08:49 PM)MSK9 Wrote: I'll be taking the UNE science courses as my post-baccalaureate program for medical school. I'm not sure what your  goals are but most medical schools accept those as prerequisites. You're right on about the cost though.. they are VERY expensive and the lab materials cost extra if you opt to take those. What are you planning to do educationally?

Heading to PA school. I've been a paramedic for a few years and now is the time to take it to the next level.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheeseburrito's post:
  • MSK9, Nightmoves5
(02-12-2018, 08:56 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Heading to PA school. I've been a paramedic for a few years and now is the time to take it to the next level.

Then you're probably a strong candidate Smile If someone doesn't have a strong work background, references, etc then they might want to avoid the CC classes. That depends on how competitive a school is. I don't think it would help more than a little, but some people need all they can get. If they think they can get A's in the harder classes.

(02-12-2018, 09:05 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 08:56 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Heading to PA school. I've been a paramedic for a few years and now is the time to take it to the next level.

Then you're probably a strong candidate Smile If someone doesn't have a strong work background, references, etc then they might want to avoid the CC classes. That depends on how competitive a school is. I don't think it would help more than a little, but some people need all they can get. If they think they can get A's in the harder classes.

I hope so, because I truly know this is the path for me. Imagine seeing your career in front of you in the distance, like a small candle through a dark, damp, misty forest. I know I have to get there to my destiny, but I have to pass through the gate keeper to the forest first (who is the PA school admissions team.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • MSK9
(02-12-2018, 09:56 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I hope so, because I truly know this is the path for me. Imagine seeing your career in front of you in the distance, like a small candle through a dark, damp, misty forest. I know I have to get there to my destiny, but I have to pass through the gate keeper to the forest first (who is the PA school admissions team.)

They will see your passion and dedication Smile

I was looking over NMJC and noticed they don't have Chemistry I in an online format. Are there any preferred sources for Chem?
For example, Ocean has Ochem and Inorganic Chem online: http://media.ocean.edu/schedule/schedule...&subj=CHEM
Think that'd work? I can't tell what platform they use or if it'd be a good learning environment.

Thoughts on if this school and these courses could work?
Don't take inorganic chemistry unless you're required to, which I doubt. Usually you just take General Chem and OChem. Probably Chem I and II? It depends on the program.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 256 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 214 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,300 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 568 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 396 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,207 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,055 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,341 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 626 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 779 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill