Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National vs Regional Accreditation, Selecting the Right College or University- Video
[video=youtube;PIk1XBUpkgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIk1XBUpkgk[/video]

I saw this on a different forum and thought I'll share it here for new and non new members alike...
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
This should be a sticky. I lot of new people that come here don't know these things.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Interesting video, it was produced by Nightingale College, a Nationally Accredited school. The video has a specific slant towards making it sound as if nationally accredited degrees are considered the same and equal of regionally accredited degrees. Most national schools want to say that "some" regional accredited school will only accept credits from other regionally accredited schools. It's more along the lines that very few regionally accredited schools will accept credits from NA schools.

The video is otherwise spot on when it talks about institutional vs programmatic accreditation. Personally, I believe that at the Associates level or the bachelors level that you should probably only consider a regionally accredited school. I think the differences can become a bit more muddied at the Masters and doctoral level, unless you are aiming to teach at any local universities, in which case you should only consider a regionally accredited school. In my case, I am going to go for a regionally accredited masters, but I may consider a nationally accredited school for a doctoral degree if the price is right. I'm not after a doctoral degree for specific employment, only for personal growth and satisfaction.
B.S. - Charter Oak State College - May 2014

Paramedic Medicine - Austin Community College

Law Enforcement Technology - Rio Salado College
I don't care who it offends. I think it is important to stress the difference in acceptance of degrees/credits from NA and RA schools. Too many people end up surprised when their credits won't transfer to many colleges or their degrees don't qualify them for licensure. I wrote this article for another website.
The Best Dang-Darned, Most Comprehensive Guide to Going to School Online - Beyond Black & White

For anyone interested in law enforcement in Texas, having an NA degree can be useless in many cases. Otherwise, NA vs. RA doesn't matter to private employers or the federal government in most cases. It's also important to note that programmatic accreditation is often required for certain types of licenses. Some programmatic accreditors won't even accredit American schools with national accreditation. Some foreign countries won't recognize NA degrees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sanantone, I agree with you completely, the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement will not recognize an NA degree. Almost all of the police departments in Texas who require a bachelors degree will not accept an NA degree. I say almost, only because I have not seen every departments standards, but I have yet to find a department willing to accept an NA degree as meeting the degree requirement.

I have seen first hand the issue and heart breaking problems that people I have worked with or their family members have faced when trying to go to a regionally accredited school after completing a NA degree or earning significant NA credit. I know that the politically correct way of approaching this is to simply say that NA is the equal of RA and that eventually it will all be accepted fully. But until that happens, it really isn't the same.
B.S. - Charter Oak State College - May 2014

Paramedic Medicine - Austin Community College

Law Enforcement Technology - Rio Salado College
soliloquy Wrote:This should be a sticky. I lot of new people that come here don't know these things.

If I knew the differences between NA, RA, and CBE, I probably would have got my degree one or two years ago. I thought it was because I was a non US citizen, but found out many US citizen are not aware about the different types of accreditations that exist...
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Dr John Wrote:Sanantone, I agree with you completely, the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement will not recognize an NA degree. Almost all of the police departments in Texas who require a bachelors degree will not accept an NA degree. I say almost, only because I have not seen every departments standards, but I have yet to find a department willing to accept an NA degree as meeting the degree requirement.

I have seen first hand the issue and heart breaking problems that people I have worked with or their family members have faced when trying to go to a regionally accredited school after completing a NA degree or earning significant NA credit. I know that the politically correct way of approaching this is to simply say that NA is the equal of RA and that eventually it will all be accepted fully. But until that happens, it really isn't the same.

Yep. I believe I've seen a couple of police departments that require 60 credit hours or an associates degree specifically mention that the credits/degree has to come from an RA school. Even though the Bexar County Sheriff's Office and San Antonio Police Department don't require a degree, they will only give educational incentive pay for RA degrees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I don't care who it offends. I think it is important to stress the difference in acceptance of degrees/credits from NA and RA schools. Too many people end up surprised when their credits won't transfer to many colleges or their degrees don't qualify them for licensure. I wrote this article for another website.
The Best Dang-Darned, Most Comprehensive Guide to Going to School Online - Beyond Black & White

For anyone interested in law enforcement in Texas, having an NA degree can be useless in many cases. Otherwise, NA vs. RA doesn't matter to private employers or the federal government in most cases. It's also important to note that programmatic accreditation is often required for certain types of licenses. Some programmatic accreditors won't even accredit American schools with national accreditation. Some foreign countries won't recognize NA degrees.

What a wonderful article! Thank you for including me in the success stories! I hope there will be many more!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Sanantone,

You are so right, this video appears to have a marketing bias, If you want to be a CPA you need to have a Regionally accredited degree plus other requirements having a Nationally accredited degree won't work. It was one of my first lessons I learned about American education and certainly one that needs voicing from time to time.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,504 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 588 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,903 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,340 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 757 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,087 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 458 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  College of Golf Alpha 5 704 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
  Richest US College Alpha 6 925 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  American University Alpha 1 576 08-26-2022, 04:36 PM