Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative Reviews of Straighterline ?
What is the consensus of the board on Straighterline?
I am in the process of mapping my degree and I am reviewing the various platforms before I get started. I see a lot of other folks have Straighterline on their maps, but I have heard several negative comments of SL's customer service and support. Thoughts?
BlackSheep Wrote:What is the consensus of the board on Straighterline?
I am in the process of mapping my degree and I am reviewing the various platforms before I get started. I see a lot of other folks have Straighterline on their maps, but I have heard several negative comments of SL's customer service and support. Thoughts?

I did three courses with SL over the course of a couple weeks and have zero negative things to say about SL. However, ProctorU is another story. I have used ProctorU 4 times so far (3 for SL Tests, 1 for a Midterm in Intermediate Accounting II) and 2 of the 4 where good the other two I wanted to reach through the computer to the proctor. My recent test was for Cost Accounting at SL and the Proctor would not let me use a Calculator. Its COST ACCOUNTING and he kept saying no materials. Instead of fighting it any longer I just took the test. Managed a 65% on the final with no calculator so could have done way better on it with one but either way I passed the course.

Comparing SL to Study.com - SL are quicker to complete the tests/courses, Study.com I feel like I learn a lot more but take a day or two longer to complete. Study.com used the RPNow service which is just a recorder that they review later. Depending on what courses and how many you take per month SL could be the cheaper option.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
I have not had issues with their CS but I have never needed it.

My negative with them are really around ProctorU, once I used PRNow I don't want to go back.
A few of their courses, like Micro/Macro economics are about as long as a Saylor course - way too damn long and too many quizzes

But overall a good experience, I just prefer Study.com now with their recent changes. Unless you hate video (SL is more text) it's a better choice for about the same money IMO
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
I think their content is terrific.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Thanks for the feedback Synicaal and congratulations on your progress towards your degree. I myself am considering the BSBA in General Management from TESU. If I may ask, what is B&M?
So this is not a consensus opinion, but my brother really dislikes SL because of it's very outdated setup, he said,
Quote:The site is Cro-Magnon, and the online textbook takes forever to load and is silly when you're trying to search in it.
Obviously this is a non-issue as far as material goes, but it can be pretty annoying for some.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
Synicaal Wrote:I did three courses with SL over the course of a couple weeks and have zero negative things to say about SL. However, ProctorU is another story. I have used ProctorU 4 times so far (3 for SL Tests, 1 for a Midterm in Intermediate Accounting II) and 2 of the 4 where good the other two I wanted to reach through the computer to the proctor. My recent test was for Cost Accounting at SL and the Proctor would not let me use a Calculator. Its COST ACCOUNTING and he kept saying no materials. Instead of fighting it any longer I just took the test. Managed a 65% on the final with no calculator so could have done way better on it with one but either way I passed the course.

Comparing SL to Study.com - SL are quicker to complete the tests/courses, Study.com I feel like I learn a lot more but take a day or two longer to complete. Study.com used the RPNow service which is just a recorder that they review later. Depending on what courses and how many you take per month SL could be the cheaper option.

I would echo Syniccal. I actually have had very good experiences with CS at SL. They are more prompt than Study.com when it comes to getting back with you. Also, they really do read your feedback and try to resolve any issues, which gives them a A+ in my books. The worst thing is dealing with ProcturU who is usually a mess!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

I like Straighterline. I actually paid $200 more to complete a Uexcel for A&P I and II because the SL courses had too many quizzes, but most SL courses have a reasonable number of quizzes. Other than having to wait 10 to 15 minutes for an available representative a couple of times for a scheduled exam, I haven't had any issues with ProctorU. Their employees aren't always the most professional. They're like the Walmart of online proctoring services.

Now, on to Study.com. Others might disagree, but I don't think Study.com is designed for adult learners, especially for people who work long hours. First of all, since I'm a very fast learner, I feel like Study.com forces me to move at a snail's pace. I don't need to be spoon-fed information in small bits. Second of all, I work very long hours, and I have a lot of things to do on my days off. I don't have time to binge-watch hundreds of Study.com videos and complete over 100 quizzes.

Thirdly, I have a very short attention span. I have a tendency to think in total time spent than time spent on each unit of activity because total time is all that matters in the end. Watching a boring, hour-long video is the same as watching 12 boring, five minute videos. Study.com videos are as about as boring as they come.

This is kind of off-topic, but it's related to thinking in total time vs. units of time. When I started a job working 12-hour shifts, almost everyone was pushing it up as the greatest thing ever because we got more days off. Over the course of a year, it might work out that we got a few extra days off; but, month to month, we didn't really get more days off. We got more calendar days off, but a day is 24 hours. We were pretty much working the same number of hours that we would with 8-hour shifts, but those hours were compressed. When you work 12-hour shifts, you have very little time to do anything on the days you work unless you want to be sleep deprived. Otherwise, everything has to be delayed until a day you don't work. So, every time I was off, I was playing catch-up. I saw no benefit to the 12-hour shifts other than less time spent on traveling to and from work, but I only lived 5 minutes away.

We alternated from working two days a week to five days a week. Someone told me that I would only need to take two days off (24 hours of leave) to have a week's worth of vacation. That was true, but I would be coming back the next week to work 60 hours.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
There aren't a whole lot of negatives from Straighterline. Most courses are great, some others are not so great.
The ones I like most are the ones with the least amount of exams and has open book finals.

There are a few that has a set of a dozen or more exams (or coursework) and a closed book final.
I think there's a couple with a proctored final that's worth over 35% up to 50% of the grade.

The main benefit of Straighterline courses is the speed one can finish. I recommend them for that.
You might want to try it out with a few courses and use Straighterline for courses that's not found elsewhere.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I loved my Straighterline experience! Is it as "flashy" as some others? No. But it get's straight to the point...in a straighter line, I guess, lol.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straighterline Spanish 1 yc1981 1 63 57 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 537 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 196 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,904 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 352 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 352 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 729 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 445 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 657 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,196 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore