Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New COSC policy for ACE and NCCRS providers
"All courses, programs, or exams offered by alternative educational providers (non-regionally accredited entities) recommended for credit by NCCRS or ACE will not be accepted in transfer unless an agreement with the provider and Charter Oak exists. Students will be limited to a total of 90 degree-applicable credits from non-regionally accredited course providers, even if an agreement is in place."

This is huge and potentially a shift from a big 3 to the big 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clepking100's post:
  • Ibantpi
When is this effective by?

Are current students grandfathered in to more than 90?

Where did you find this?

This is huge.
At the COSC website -

https://acorn.charteroak.edu/ICS/

(05-08-2020, 08:29 PM)Clepking100 Wrote: At the COSC website -

https://acorn.charteroak.edu/ICS/
Wow. I was gonna enroll for June but it looks like I better try to get in for May.

If that doesn’t work I might have to change my plans altogether....
Completed:
Pierpont Community & Technical College | BOG A.A.S. | AOE: Communication [Graduated 12/08/23]
111 college credits as of January 2024 [40 credits completed @ 4-yr college; 71 credits from CLEP, Coopersmith, InstantCert, Lawshelf, Sophia, & TEEX]

In progress: 
UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies [Management minor]
Sophia: Human Biology Lab, French I & Business Communication

This is the kind of thing that breaks the forum. YOu will need to complete 90 credits at a RA college/univ if starting from scratch! Maybe now there is no more big 3, now its a big 2
To add - how much will it cost to get Bachelor degree there ?  Confused
On the Charter Oak student portal, there is a new notice (was not there a few days ago) that states that alternative educational providers recommended for credit by NCCRS or ACE will not be accepted in transfer unless an agreement with the provider and Charter Oak exists.  I am still new to this forum, so not sure if this is actually "new" news, but thought I should share. 

I am hoping to find out who they actually have current agreements with as I still have 8 UL courses I need to take over the next few months before my cornerstone class starts there in August and I was hoping I would not have to take all remaining courses soley with study.com.  I learned today also that Davar will not be accepted after July 1st.
Nooooo...

I suspected it was just a matter of time before the the other two followed suit after TESU started this dumb policy of partnerships above and beyond ACE/NCCRS reccomendations.

I wonder how long EC will hold out.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Whoa, I saw the other post about needing a partnership with alt providers, but missed this.

End of an era.

Big 3 is done, and if THIS starts a trend, then Big 2 could quickly be done as well.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(05-08-2020, 08:39 PM)Clepking100 Wrote: This is the kind of thing that breaks the forum. YOu will need to complete 90 credits at a RA college/univ if starting from scratch! Maybe now there is no more big 3, now its a big 2

Don't you mean 30 credits from an RA college?

I don't know it isn't all bad. Plenty of people on this forum have 30 prior credits from a RA college before starting here. And actually you really only need 24 since 6 are from COSC anyways.

I guess it only is bad for those starting from scratch, but for anyone with prior RA credit it isn't too bad. Kind of saw this coming and knew a requirement like this would happen to at least one of the big 3 eventually.

(05-08-2020, 09:00 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: To add - how much will it cost to get Bachelor degree there ?  Confused

I don't know. But really you only need 24 credits RA since 6 are COSC. You don't have to take the other 24 at COSC just any RA school.

A semester at NMJC out of state (the cheapest RA  online credits I can think of) is $828 for 12 credits. That times two for 24 credits is $1656 so add that to the base price of a COSC degree. So these changes makes COSC at a minimum of $1656 more expensive unless someone can find cheaper RA graded credit. Cheaper in you live in New Mexico. Maybe some California CC would be even cheaper if you live there. I know a lot of California CCs are basically free to residents. 

However, this doesn't factor in financial aid at all and that could really change things, the pell grant could make the NMJC free. If this is the case, it isn't money that is the issue with this new policy it's the time it takes to do the courses.

COSC was like 2k cheaper than TESU. So even you did what I said COSCwould still be slightly cheaper than TESU. The only problem is if the method I said of getting 24 credits through NMJC would be practical. Also, if you have the credits might as well pick up an associates from NMJC with clep and dsst if you've got it, since almost half would be done.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,680 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,284 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,643 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,163 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso