Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New from Harvard Extension School
Harvard Extension School just seems to have more interesting courses

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/course...conference

that's a list of courses to choose from for their graduate Bioinformatics certificate

there isn't a course there that doesn't interest me

and if that certificate doesn't interest you then there's this one on Museum Studies

every course there also looks interesting

they also have a Finance certificate

none of those courses interest me, but business is not my thing

but I don't really care what anyone at Harvard says or thinks about me -- if I had a business degree from TESU and a Graduate certificate in Corporate Finance from HES then I'm sure I could get a good paying job

and if I had a Biology degree from TESU and the Bioinformatics certificate from HES I'm sure I could do just fine

and in very few cases should you be choosing your school based on what others think about it (Law school is an obvious exception)
(06-30-2019, 02:58 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:15 AM)Stoic Wrote: they won't want anything to do with you there and will roll their eyes at you in public…

though I already know that I will be stigmatized, and belittled there through indirect communication.

I've done the "living in Cambridge and joining clubs, etc" thing and have seen a few things. These aren't remotely words I would use to describe relations between HES students or graduates and the rest of the university.

Who is they? Who do you believe would stigmatize and belittle you based on being an HES student or graduate, and how?
Students from within Harvard and other schools, professors, etc. They all talk so badly about extension students via student forums, reddit, etc. It makes me feel like if I go there I’ll be like a stray mutt dog who’s trying to mix in with the dogs that are well groomed ready for competition, and have nice owners. Basically like duke from the secret lives of pets. But then again this is all stuff I make up in my own head based on info that could very well be misinformation.
(06-30-2019, 11:48 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:15 AM)Stoic Wrote: they won't want anything to do with you there and will roll their eyes at you in public…

though I already know that I will be stigmatized, and belittled there through indirect communication.

I've done the "living in Cambridge and joining clubs, etc" thing and have seen a few things. These aren't remotely words I would use to describe relations between HES students or graduates and the rest of the university.

Who is they? Who do you believe would stigmatize and belittle you based on being an HES student or graduate, and how?
Students from within Harvard and other schools, professors, etc. They all talk so badly about extension students via student forums, reddit, etc. It makes me feel like if I go there I’ll be like a stray mutt dog who’s trying to mix in with the dogs that are well groomed ready for competition, and have nice owners. Basically like duke from the secret lives of pets. But then again this is all stuff I make up in my own head based on info that could very well be misinformation.

Talk is cheap.  Maybe one day the average Harvard Grad Rolleyes will even be a peer to the folks in my average Harvard Executive Education class of which zero so far have come from Harvard of the programs that I attended.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Best thing I've ever learned was how to care about people, but to not care about any judgement they may make against me.  Worth more than my HES degree (that I haven't received yet )
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
[-] The following 1 user Likes mednat's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(06-30-2019, 11:48 PM)Stoic Wrote: Students from within Harvard and other schools, professors, etc. They all talk so badly about extension students via student forums, reddit, etc. It makes me feel like if I go there I’ll be like a stray mutt dog who’s trying to mix in with the dogs that are well groomed ready for competition, and have nice owners. Basically like duke from the secret lives of pets. But then again this is all stuff I make up in my own head based on info that could very well be misinformation.

I've obsessively scanned Reddit for the last year or so to see what everyone is saying. It does have a "bad" reputation among some posters, but they're a small minority. Part of the reason for its bad reputation is that its less than 1% end up earning degrees. A lot of HES students, especially since online courses became common, are just passing through. Another reason its students earn a bad rap is that HES students don't have to jump through all the hoops regular students do just to get in the door. HES is also significantly cheaper.

I've seen a couple of posts from professors on the Crimson's website say that say admitted HES students' work is on par with what they see from Harvard College student. This is because the average HES student has a few years of work and life experience, while the average HC student is fresh out of high school. I also remember reading a post from a grad student who worked at another Ivy (I can't remember which) who said that they code HES and HC similarly in their admissions system. This is also the case for the military.

Ultimately, the decision whether to attend depends on your goals and where you are in life.
(07-01-2019, 10:37 AM)mednat Wrote:

Best thing I've ever learned was how to care about people, but to not care about any judgement they may make against me.  Worth more than my HES degree (that I haven't received yet )

I want to know when you have receive all graduate certification and you went for interview, what kind of feedback the interview give you about your HES certification? the most important is the business or company treat the value of the certification. It is very expensive tuition; it already cover all my tuition for my MBA. It is very concern for me to afford the tuition. It is good no going into debt for student loans.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

After taking the five Poetry in America series courses, I keep getting email from the Harvard Extension Alumni Association. Membership in the HEAA requires at least a graduate certificate. That said, HEAA events are open to current students who are taking at least one class. I have no idea about how great these events are for networking, but what the hey.

Here is a link to a current Midwest chapter event in September at the rooftops outside Wrigley Field:

https://huevents.harvard.edu/profile/for...x66007abcd
[-] The following 3 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • cookderosa, Ideas, Life Long Learning

You know that's only because they had to walk 5 miles each way in the snow without shoes on....
Isn't this like high school drama? They have decided that they're the popular kids, and you'll never measure up unless you're just like them. Of course, as soon as you leave "high school" and are part of the real world, the intensity of their opinion fades away into the noise of life. Redit and student forums are not the real world.
What % of the real world cares about the nuances of Harvard College at Harvard University vs any of the other colleges of Harvard University? 1? 2? Honestly, what % of the world cares where you went to school at all?

My opinion is to drive your own ship full speed ahead.
(07-29-2019, 11:30 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

You know that's only because they had to walk 5 miles each way in the snow without shoes on....
Isn't this like high school drama? They have decided that they're the popular kids, and you'll never measure up unless you're just like them.  Of course, as soon as you leave "high school" and are part of the real world, the intensity of their opinion fades away into the noise of life.  Redit and student forums are not the real world.
What % of the real world cares about the nuances of Harvard College at Harvard University vs any of the other colleges of Harvard University?  1? 2?  Honestly, what % of the world cares where you went to school at all?

I agree with this! However, I am curious, just for my own sake, if a degree from HES would enhance, or hinder, ones ability to pursue a PhD in a traditional format should one wish to do so. My initial thought is no but I do not personally know anyone, nor have I seen anything, discussing such.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(07-29-2019, 11:52 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 11:30 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Isn't this like high school drama? They have decided that they're the popular kids, and you'll never measure up unless you're just like them.  Of course, as soon as you leave "high school" and are part of the real world, the intensity of their opinion fades away into the noise of life.  Redit and student forums are not the real world.
What % of the real world cares about the nuances of Harvard College at Harvard University vs any of the other colleges of Harvard University?  1? 2?  Honestly, what % of the world cares where you went to school at all?

I agree with this! However, I am curious, just for my own sake, if a degree from HES would enhance, or hinder, ones ability to pursue a PhD in a traditional format should one wish to do so. My initial thought is no but I do not personally know anyone, nor have I seen anything, discussing such.

ThatBankDude,

Doesn't it depend on what you make of the experience? Earning an ALM takes work and dedication. By all accounts it's rigorous. If you do well, create relationships with professors (more possible now because you need to do at least some courses on-campus), distinguish yourself, get great letters of recommendation, pursue research and ideas that lead you to be a strong PhD candidate, then I believe the Harvard brand can be a big help.

It's an opportunity, not a guarantee. If you can and do make the most of the opportunity, it certainly won't hurt your candidacy and it should help.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 886 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,849 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,351 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,283 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,281 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,354 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,504 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,205 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger