Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Credit vs For-Credit Courses
Wow this community is crazy. I had no idea a place like this existed.

I read over https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...c_Approach

and did a deep dive on the wiki.

I'm someone who has taken a LOT of courses over the years. But all the for-credit courses I have taken have just been at the local community college / state university.

I thought I was doing really well going to an in-state school, taking AP classes, doing community college where I could, and picking up a few grants/scholarships here and there.

But yeah it seems like the approach here could have made things way cheaper? Like 10x cheaper?

Looks like I have ~280 undergrad credits and 73 grad credits. I have two degrees (BA and MA) and a smattering of certificates.

I ran some back of the envelope calculations, and right now at a cost of $250 per credit (tuition + fees, with residency), my undergrad alone would cost $70k today.

But you all are doing it for $5-10k? That's wild.

So I built this website for the non-credit online course space:

https://newcoursealert.com/

But after reading this forum, I wonder if pursuing non-credit online classes is really the way to go anymore.

With something like Sophia, the cost of for-credit courses seems like it's actually less than non-credit courses? Why wouldn't you pick up the college credits? Am I missing something?

So yeah, I am rethinking my website now. It feels like if you could send people alerts about new for-credit courses, that would be even more helpful?
(07-05-2022, 12:43 PM)eupharis Wrote: Wow this community is crazy. I had no idea a place like this existed.

I read over https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...c_Approach

and did a deep dive on the wiki.

I'm someone who has taken a LOT of courses over the years. But all the for-credit courses I have taken have just been at the local community college / state university.

I thought I was doing really well going to an in-state school, taking AP classes, doing community college where I could, and picking up a few grants/scholarships here and there.

But yeah it seems like the approach here could have made things way cheaper? Like 10x cheaper?

Looks like I have ~280 undergrad credits and 73 grad credits. I have two degrees (BA and MA) and a smattering of certificates.

I ran some back of the envelope calculations, and right now at a cost of $250 per credit (tuition + fees, with residency), my undergrad alone would cost $70k today.

But you all are doing it for $5-10k? That's wild.

So I built this website for the non-credit online course space:

https://newcoursealert.com/

But after reading this forum, I wonder if pursuing non-credit online classes is really the way to go anymore.

With something like Sophia, the cost of for-credit courses seems like it's actually less than non-credit courses? Why wouldn't you pick up the college credits? Am I missing something?

So yeah, I am rethinking my website now. It feels like if you could send people alerts about new for-credit courses, that would be even more helpful?

Read my signature, I could have save about $2500 had I done UMPI versus TESU for undergrad

Just saying
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 3 users Like cerich67's post:
  • eupharis, rachel83az, ss20ts
I think there is a place for non credit courses. A lot of them come with some sort of certificate/proof you took them. For instance my DCS programming classes can go a long way in certain circles, but a BS is going to go a decent distance in every circle. IT certs, from what I understand, can help a lot. But yeah, I’m general, I feel what you are saying. I’ve spent a lot of time taking courses, trainings, etc that only apply in my current job, and at some point a while back I decided to table that for a while and go after courses that finish a degree.

Dude! If you could run a section of for credit courses on that alert website, maybe even break down RA/NA/ACE/etc. that would be a powerful website. I feel like a lot of people that go this route, keep going in some form. They knock out degrees, then go for certs, then go for fun. By having an option for credit, non credit. It would keep people at your alert site too. Think about it, to see if you could pull it off, or even want to. But I’m picturing “tell me when a new ____ class comes available for ACE credits.” Then “tell me when any ____ class comes available.” I wouldn’t sweep the nation and monitor EVERY school. Just ones like they pay attention to here.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
(07-06-2022, 06:23 PM)Insert Name Wrote: I think there is a place for non credit courses. A lot of them come with some sort of certificate/proof you took them. For instance my DCS programming classes can go a long way in certain circles, but a BS is going to go a decent distance in every circle. IT certs, from what I understand, can help a lot.

Yeah good point about non-degree courses. I guess they do still have a role for sure. This place just kind of blew my mind yesterday Smile

Quote:Dude! If you could run a section of for credit courses on that alert website, maybe even break down RA/NA/ACE/etc. that would be a powerful website. I feel like a lot of people that go this route, keep going in some form. They knock out degrees, then go for certs, then go for fun. By having an option for credit, non credit. It would keep people at your alert site too. Think about it, to see if you could pull it off, or even want to. But I’m picturing “tell me when a new ____ class comes available for ACE credits.” Then “tell me when any ____ class comes available.” I wouldn’t sweep the nation and monitor EVERY school. Just ones like they pay attention to here.

That's a great idea! Scraping just the "big" schools / sites here wouldn't be too terrible. And would probably catch like 90% of the courses people here are interested in.
Both credit and non-credit courses have their place. Non-credit courses are usually cheaper and are more likely to be self-paced. This is good for students who aren't 100% sure if they want to dump a lot of money into a paid/expensive credit course.

If you could figure out how to scrape the ACE National Guide, https://www.acenet.edu/national-guide/Pa...fault.aspx, that would also be useful. As it is right now, it's difficult to find new courses/providers if you don't go looking for them directly.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you wanted to pivot slightly and set the site up for the 'efficient' degrees idea. I see an opportunity to take your credits, and have it prefill somewhat of degree plans based on known transfer equivalencies for various degrees at various institutions. It would be a lot of work, but it would be a point of difference for the website Smile
I only do non-credit courses when they're free or low-cost, but I've also been fortunate to receive free access to LinkedIn Learning via schools attended and my current employer. My current employer also gives free access to Skillsoft.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Vle045
(07-08-2022, 02:24 PM)sanantone Wrote: I only do non-credit courses when they're free or low-cost, but I've also been fortunate to receive free access to LinkedIn Learning via schools attended and my current employer. My current employer also gives free access to Skillsoft.
I'm not sure if they still do this but Robert Half International used to offer all temps access to SkillSoft for free. I still have an account with access. With that said though I've never figured out how to use skillsoft to gain credits, although apparently that's possible. If anyone wants access to skills after I would definitely recommend going and just interviewing with Robert Half just to get the access.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(07-08-2022, 02:24 PM)sanantone Wrote: I only do non-credit courses when they're free or low-cost, but I've also been fortunate to receive free access to LinkedIn Learning via schools attended and my current employer. My current employer also gives free access to Skillsoft.

I am with you on that. I tend to sign up for most of the free courses that interest me.  Sometimes too many at a time.  I complete some of them but not all of them.   So many interesting opportunities for very little cost or free.

LinkedIn Learning - I have that through my current school.
Sophia - I have free as an Avon Rep until March 2023, but these would be technically for-credit for most people.
ASU - I signed up for the free 100 million learners courses.  Those can later be for-credit, but no one knows the fee for that.
USF - I finished the Diversity equity and inclusion certificate that was free last year.
Coursera Plus - This one is not free, but they usually have a nice discount in January for the year.
American Dream Academy - opportunity to get one free for-credit certificate.
Walden University - Finished free term with non-credit business essentials courses.  I was hoping to finish at least one for-credit course but didn’t quite get there.  I don’t think they offer the free term any more.
eRasmussen - they have several free certificates, but I have not signed up for any. 
Troy University - they have two free courses this summer starting on Monday.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,951 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,506 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,768 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 733 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,931 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 231 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 574 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 679 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger