Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OCS and Big 3 Schools
Hey all,

I'm a MA2 stationed in Yokosuka Japan. I'm knocking out CLEP/DSST's and working toward a degree in Criminal Justice with Excelsior. From my understanding, EC is regionally accredited and that is all required to go to OCS.

I am interested in going in the Aviation field, does anyone know any pilots/NFO with big 3 college degrees? The training for pilot is long and I was wondering if they look down upon non brick-and-mortar degrees in Naval Aviation.

With my job it is very difficult to get a degree while attending classes in a classroom. Online college works perfect and CLEP/DSST tests are a goldmine toward finishing my degree. I hope the people who look at OCS packages understand this, and still hire active duty enlisted with online degrees.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Passed (54 SH):
A&I Literature (60) : Criminal Justice (419) : Intro to Law Enforcement (68) : Intro to Computing (457): Information Systems & Comp App (63): Management Information Systems (423) : Intro to Sociology (53) : Intro to Psychology (56) : Here's to your Health (450) : Substance Abuse (428) : Technical Writing (49) : College Mathematics (53) : Business Ethics and Society (437) : World Populations (B) : Principles of Marketing (57) : Cultural Diversity (B) : Civil War & Reconstruction (54)

Military: (41 SH)
Other Schools: (15 SH)

Excelsior Courses Complete (10 SH): Information Literacy, Criminology, International Terrorism, Social Science Research, Research/Writing, Managing Homeland Security

Excelsior BS-Criminal Justice=DONE
Hi MA2 mightymouse!

While I can't speak for how your degree from Excelsior will work toward getting into Naval Aviation, you will definitely qualify for OCS. Hopefully the moderators won't mind me posting a link to this forum, but since your question isn't completely school related, you could probably get a better response over at Navy OCS Foundation Portal. There are plenty of BTDT Officers who can help answer how to best get into a pilot seat.

Also, if you are looking into rotary wing aviation rather than fixed wing, and you can't get a guaranteed seat from the Navy, you could always apply for Army WOFT. Of course you'd have to do an inter-service transfer, but you'd get an assured pilot seat; provided you pass flight training. A good friend of mine did this (a Marine Sgt when he applied), and now he's a CW2 flying a UH-60. You don't need a degree for this program, but it helps...

Good luck!
M.S. University of Wisconsin-Platteville In Progress
M.S. University of Maryland University College 2011
B.S. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 2008

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
English Composition (w/o essay)
Information Systems and Computer Applications
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology
Thanks for your response! Ill go check those websites out.
Passed (54 SH):
A&I Literature (60) : Criminal Justice (419) : Intro to Law Enforcement (68) : Intro to Computing (457): Information Systems & Comp App (63): Management Information Systems (423) : Intro to Sociology (53) : Intro to Psychology (56) : Here's to your Health (450) : Substance Abuse (428) : Technical Writing (49) : College Mathematics (53) : Business Ethics and Society (437) : World Populations (B) : Principles of Marketing (57) : Cultural Diversity (B) : Civil War & Reconstruction (54)

Military: (41 SH)
Other Schools: (15 SH)

Excelsior Courses Complete (10 SH): Information Literacy, Criminology, International Terrorism, Social Science Research, Research/Writing, Managing Homeland Security

Excelsior BS-Criminal Justice=DONE
I wouldnt see this being a problem as long as you meet the health and age criteria. I BELIEVE and dont quote me on this but flyboys do a 8 year signup because of the training involved and they dont want to just train someone and then have them leave. I would imagine that the ocs school would not care for the credits though as other commissions they dont care about what degree it is. Just have alot of math knowledge that you know because my brother is a pilot and its gets involved. Good luck

mightymouse Wrote:Hey all,

I'm a MA2 stationed in Yokosuka Japan. I'm knocking out CLEP/DSST's and working toward a degree in Criminal Justice with Excelsior. From my understanding, EC is regionally accredited and that is all required to go to OCS.

I am interested in going in the Aviation field, does anyone know any pilots/NFO with big 3 college degrees? The training for pilot is long and I was wondering if they look down upon non brick-and-mortar degrees in Naval Aviation.

With my job it is very difficult to get a degree while attending classes in a classroom. Online college works perfect and CLEP/DSST tests are a goldmine toward finishing my degree. I hope the people who look at OCS packages understand this, and still hire active duty enlisted with online degrees.

Any insight would be appreciated.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best schools with online programs for Active Duty military ddwyer44 11 2,582 11-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Last Post: defscarlett
  Aviation & Electronic Schools of America? (AESA) LANIER 5 2,320 10-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Lea
  Waiver of application fee for grad schools creationstory 0 4,808 05-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Last Post: creationstory