Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off topic- cooking with WIC
This is off topic, but there's always great brain juice coming from this forum, so I thought I'd post here for some feedback!

In my MS Nutrition program, I'm taking a course that requires developing a community health program. The program, though fictitious, should be able to be implemented with a little elbow grease in real life should the student choose to do so. I just might take that challenge.

I'll give you the super short summary of my project. I'm developing a cooking class that would be taught by local restaurant chefs. The class would be 1 night about once/month. The students would be WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) moms who have children under age 5.

As you may/may not know, a WIC program participant is given vouchers each month for some amount of food. This is not food stamps, it's rather a supplement to the family's groceries. The goal of WIC is to bring whole grains, milk, fish, vegetables, plant based protein, etc to children. There are other things WIC does for children under 2, but my class is for moms who have children between ages 2-5.

At the class, the chefs would demo how to make foods that maximize their WIC food items. Some foods are very easy to use (cereal, peanut butter, milk) but other foods can create a challenge (dried beans or peas, whole vegetables, etc) and in REAL LIFE I've observed people simply "skip" using the items they don't know how to use or they just throw them away/give away. The chefs would prepare a few dishes using those more challenging items, they'd all eat what is made, and the moms could then go home and prepare these simple and inexpensive dishes. The dishes will be kid-friendly and encourage scratch cooking.

In order to make this project realistic, there has to be a recipe database. I'm going to write a cookbook of WIC-friendly recipes/dishes. Maybe 50 or so recipes, and the mom would receive a free copy of the cookbook.

FWIW, I love this homework assignment. I do believe, that in time, I could initiate a program like this - at least locally.

If you have ideas, tips, suggestions, feedback, etc., I'd love to hear them! If you are familiar with WIC, tell me some of the things that might help make this successful! Also, I need a name for my moc cookbook Smile I'm all ears!
This website let's you search for recipes by ingredient.

Allrecipes - Recipes and cooking confidence for home cooks everywhere
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Jennifer,

Check out this link and video: EFNEP - Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program

I know when we first moved here to our little town and we had our extension service come out and identify all our fruit trees, they offered us a similar program to this since our kids were 4 & 9 and my husband had lost his job. They sent someone out to to talk to us about growing our own food, cooking, canning and preserving foods. That might be a twist to add to your program for rural areas. We did learn a lot about proper canning and preserving foods which we still do. I say this as my food dehydrator is running with apples from our trees and as I look at dozens of canned apples, peppers, salsa and spaghetti sauce all from our garden this year! Good luck! I wish my classes this semester had as fun a project to do! No such luck though.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Some flavorful soup recipes could use the beans and the vegetables. (All parts of the vegetables if you think a teaching about soup stock isn't too much.) Stir fries are fast, and can be nutritious. Since you're talking about women and children, the emphasis should be fast, and easy. With flavorful a close second. (Yes, second. Fast and easy are tied.) Remember that your cooking skills (cutting, etc.) probably won't be shared by most students, so keep those things easy, too. Maybe something like hummus so the little ones will get vegetables and beans. Sounds like a truly useful project. Good luck.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Off topic chat - What's new? bjcheung77 14 2,625 12-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: allvia
  off topic- computer suggestion cookderosa 9 1,805 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Please help with research topic! soliloquy 5 1,348 06-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  My thesis topic was accepted! cookderosa 18 2,346 04-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Last Post: NAP
  Idea for topic -- traditional schools that take CLE CLEP_enthusiast 7 1,507 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Off topic: for any woman who has given birth cookderosa 36 4,802 03-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mrs.b
  off topic - starting our business! cookderosa 24 3,002 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Elinor
  A CHef/Cooking Question...Cookderosa U out there? rebel100 17 2,157 04-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  hi everyone. This topic is about Strawberry Shortcake. adrienneviolet 17 2,288 03-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Last Post: jmed
  old topic nj593 4 1,070 02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Last Post: nj593