Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oh my garsh overwhelmed with what to do for my kids for each of their degrees?- HELP
To throw another option at you, take a gander at Northern Arizona University's Personalized learning options.

They only have three online degree options, but coincidentally, two of those options are Liberal Arts and a Computer Information Technology. NAU is also regionally-accredited, just like the Big3. And, for such young kiddos where a more traditional name recognition might come in handy upon entry into the job market, their name is a bit more standardized.
NAU | Personalized Learning | Online Bachelor
(Caveat: I do not know if they accept children that have not yet graduated high school, but most schools have room to make exceptions for the right circumstances, so it might be worth a call.)

That said, I second rebel's advice to look at in-state options. You'd be surprised how many schools are branching out and dipping their toes into the developing online education market, as well as drafting more liberal transfer policies. Some time at a good community college (whether in your own state, in a neighboring state that has a proximity agreement for discounted tuition [a.k.a. Florida has an agreement where Alabama residents in certain counties get in-state FL tuition], or a distant state school that just has a friendly tuition policy) with good online course selection, completing an Associates, then transferring to a state school with an articulation agreement would save them a lot of coin, and leave their options wide open if they later change their minds on what they want to be or do with that degree later in life. That also does not eliminate the usage of some CBE credit options; most traditional colleges accept some CBE credit volume and just bury that in their transfer policies because if too many students took advantage of it, they'd lose out on tuition.

Graded credits tend to be far more flexible and transferrable; while this forum and CollegePlus's business model is built on CBE and flexi-credits, I'm from the school of thought that younger collegiate students tend to be better-served long-term with more traditional credit sources. That does not mean you have to do butt-in-seat courses; like I said, there are a LOT of online courses available through almost any college now-a-days, and more and more are offering self-paced/independent-study/competency-based course models. It's worth a look to keep your kids' options open.

Edited to Add: NAU's personalized learning model is based entirely on testing out. The way their courses work is that you start by taking a test. If you pass the test with a B or better, you can be done with that course and move on to the next. If you do not pass with a B, or you want to go for an A, you can go through the course modules at your own pace, then test again to shoot for the higher grade. While it is CBE-like, all courses are graded and transcribe to look like traditional credits/courses, so they should be more flexible and transferable. In essence, you're guaranteed a 3.0 GPA because you do not progress to the next course until you've earned a B, but if you ace that first exam, you can be done with a course in one test session and fly through the classes. The pricing model is similar to WGU's; they charge in six-month chunks so you finish as many as you can in that period of time.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Prloko Wrote:I sincerely apologize for being presumptive.

With one income only, and depending where you live, your children may be able to get a grant and go to a local CC. They can then transfer to a 4 year program, this should reduce your cost. I always recommend that "traditional age" students go to schools for traditional age as schooling weighs so heavily on resumes of kids with little experience.

But if you are locked onto TESC, there is only one course they need to directly take with the school (non-business degree) which is the capstone. I myself took 4 TESC courses (+1 tecep) for my business degree and they blew by quickly. All the rest can be transferred in via cheaper options like CC, CLEP, TECEP, DSST, Saylor, Straighterline, etc.

Prloko- grants are off the table in high school, Pell requires completion of high school first. If her area doesn't offer free or reduced tuition dual enrollment, she'd have to pay the rack rate. However, you are never limited to the CCs in your own back yard- schools like Clovis are still very cheap for CC credit. Furthermore, using exam credit and rack rate tuition for a CC degree is cheaper than 100% of the program choices offered by CP.
mrs.b Wrote:T
Graded credits tend to be far more flexible and transferrable; while this forum and CollegePlus's business model is built on CBE and flexi-credits, I'm from the school of thought that younger collegiate students tend to be better-served long-term with more traditional credit sources. That does not mean you have to do butt-in-seat courses; like I said, there are a LOT of online courses available through almost any college now-a-days, and more and more are offering self-paced/independent-study/competency-based course models. It's worth a look to keep your kids' options open..

+1
My thoughts exactly.
I highly highly recommend that you take from your in-state RA CC ENG 101 and 102 or their equivalent. These are almost always now available from your CC entirely online, almost always transferable to any senior institution in the country, and the CC tuition per credit hour is always a bargain for the resident student. Although the two full terms required to complete the regimen may seem at first slow boat, these are the two most fundamental courses for future high achievement college success. Even if you can CLEP out of the requirement for a certain currently planned institution, things change and this particular CLEP is not well accepted at top senior institutions. Additionally, the online experience at a "real" school will help you with many future academic challenges. The PIA online discussion board postings usually assigned as part of this course with peer reviews of your work can be really helpful to the learning process for this particular subject. No matter how advanced you enter these two courses, you will exit at a far greater level by being forced to work through the courses in a full term manner. Many times I have had students completely stymied with upper level work because they short cut the rigorous requirements of full term courses in this area. Good luck.
cookderosa Wrote:Prloko- grants are off the table in high school, Pell requires completion of high school first. If her area doesn't offer free or reduced tuition dual enrollment, she'd have to pay the rack rate. However, you are never limited to the CCs in your own back yard- schools like Clovis are still very cheap for CC credit. Furthermore, using exam credit and rack rate tuition for a CC degree is cheaper than 100% of the program choices offered by CP.
thx for the info.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
What does your son want to do in the IT field? this will help determine what he needs to work on. Does he already have an interest in programming? is he interested in the business side of things? is he more interested repairs, maintenance, game design, networking, security?
IMO Liberal arts would not be suitable for IT and would be a waste of time and money.

I wouldn't rush into applying for a degree just yet, stick around and look at all the options, it will take a month of reading to get through everything.

A couple of different options.

Option 1:
Study for and test out of the majority of credits using various sources, Straighterline, CLEP, DSST, Uexcel, TECEP etc.
Complete other courses needed to finish the degree. This is important for IT, things like programming need to be learnt and require a passion for. Does your sons choice require any IT certification to get started?

Option 2:
Enroll in one of the competency based programs.
WGU has already been mentioned and looks excellent for IT.
Hodges has IT and a BS in Digital Design: UPOWER Bachelor of Science in Digital Design and Graphics
Hodges is new and there is not much information on here yet, a lot of folks have used WGU.

There is the possibility that these programs will work out more expensive, depends on how much effort your kids put in and how much time they have, I would budget for them taking at least 1.5 to 2 years.
Aleks: Beginning, Intermediate, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics
Straighterline: Cultural Anthropology, Religion, Biology, Environmental Science, Philosophy, Eng Comp I, C++.
Working on - Eng Comp II, Intro Comm
Sophia Intro to Psych
TEEX: CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
NFA: Q318, Q118, Q137
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences

Goal: Complete Gen Ed. requirements.
Photog Wrote:What does your son want to do in the IT field? this will help determine what he needs to work on. Does he already have an interest in programming? is he interested in the business side of things? is he more interested repairs, maintenance, game design, networking, security?
IMO Liberal arts would not be suitable for IT and would be a waste of time and money.

I wouldn't rush into applying for a degree just yet, stick around and look at all the options, it will take a month of reading to get through everything.

A couple of different options.

Option 1:
Study for and test out of the majority of credits using various sources, Straighterline, CLEP, DSST, Uexcel, TECEP etc.
Complete other courses needed to finish the degree. This is important for IT, things like programming need to be learnt and require a passion for. Does your sons choice require any IT certification to get started?

Option 2:
Enroll in one of the competency based programs.
WGU has already been mentioned and looks excellent for IT.
Hodges has IT and a BS in Digital Design: UPOWER Bachelor of Science in Digital Design and Graphics
Hodges is new and there is not much information on here yet, a lot of folks have used WGU.

There is the possibility that these programs will work out more expensive, depends on how much effort your kids put in and how much time they have, I would budget for them taking at least 1.5 to 2 years.

That Hodges program could work very well for the daughter who wants to do graphic design.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Just want to comment on Western Governor's. Their IT degrees are far better suited to someone with professional experience. They won't accept a student without at least one IT certification, 6 upper level IT credits, or paid work experience in Information Technology.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
UptonSinclair Wrote:Just want to comment on Western Governor's. Their IT degrees are far better suited to someone with professional experience. They won't accept a student without at least one IT certification, 6 upper level IT credits, or paid work experience in Information Technology.

It shouldn't be that hard to earn a COMPTIA certification. Many people study for A+, Security+, and Network+ on their own.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Partly in Virginia & Connecticut. We live 1/2 & 1/2

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,769 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,826 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,172 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 4,616 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Any spreadsheets for Associate's degrees? xjarhead1999 20 4,061 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Last Post: xjarhead1999
  Help In getting a Degree/Degrees former Navy Rustydroid 8 1,919 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  NEWB - Overwhelmed looking for help HAYDENTREE77 26 5,506 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU - New Certificates/Degrees (IT)! bjcheung77 8 2,006 11-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  What big-3 degrees can be earned with just Shmoop.com courses? Pelican 2 2,891 11-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Associate Degrees at TESU rlw74 5 1,795 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rlw74