Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online proctoring and Linux?
I'm a long time Linux user and don't own any computers with Mac or Windows. I vaguely recall people either having difficulties or simply being unable to use RPNow or ProctorU with Linux, however I wasn't able to find any information about this on the wiki or searching here. I'd be glad to add this to the wiki once I figure it out.

Succinctly my question is: can you use successfully use Linux (I use Debian) for taking proctored exams through RPNow or ProctorU (any others I should know about? Those are the main two I've come across for SDC and e.g. ASU UL)
I don't think you can. Even Mac can be iffy sometimes, when it comes to proctoring. IIRC, ASU courses with proctoring do have an initial pre-course "sample" proctor exam where you are allowed to go through a dry run with the RPNow system. You install the software and do everything you would normally do, including a 2 question "exam" to see how everything works. You can do this before paying for the course, so you know whether you even want to pay for the upgrade.

Depending on what school you intend to go to, you should be able to take exams from Saylor (their proctor uses a Chrome browser extension), you can use Davar if you can find a local proctor, and you might be able to take LawShelf courses.

You might want to consider temporarily buying, borrowing, or renting a Windows computer for exam purposes. If you're in the US, pawn shops sometimes have extremely cheap computers. You don't need anything high-end. Just about anything that runs Windows 10 should work.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
RPNow - System Requirements (last updated February 16, 2022): https://helpdesk.psionline.com/hc/en-gb/...quirements

ProctorU - Operating Systems (last updated August 19, 2021): https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/ar...ng-Systems

Neither will support GNU/Linux.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
OK, thank you both! I will get a cheap Windows computer for testing. I added what you shared to the wiki here - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/On...ing_System
Yes, I would recommend a very basic windows laptop for portability...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith proctoring rachel83az 23 3,893 08-06-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: shaas
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 932 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Best Place Online for Spanish I/II PseudoPepito 5 1,082 06-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Organic Chemistry and Bio Chemistry Online? yeapies 14 2,326 06-11-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online credit courses Mcflurry 7 1,540 03-15-2022, 12:03 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Are there resources to get credits online for students in the UK? yellow_gambit 4 990 11-24-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: yellow_gambit
  Any recommendation for these online courses accredited by ACE? ayman003 10 1,957 08-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Foreigner: any way to get a degree online - no CLEP DSST tomokaicho 21 2,496 01-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Last Post: monchevy
  Any short and sweet 1 credit online courses out there? ctcarl 11 1,922 10-27-2020, 01:50 AM
Last Post: BBryant165
  Cheap distant learning/online credits. 000 21 3,080 10-21-2020, 11:37 AM
Last Post: dfrecore