Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OnlineDegree.com Is Finally Open
OMG, why won't my posts work??? Please delete my nothing post.

So, I've come to the point where I won't recommend anyone take NCCRS courses from providers who won't send the transcript directly. This is a problem at TESU for sure, and probably others who would take NCCRS but won't take credits laundered through EC.

And, I think using EC to send transcripts to schools so that it looks like you took credits there instead of some other provider is the definition of credit laundering.

Jennifer, you're the expert here - what do you think?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Every course provider from NCCRS has to start from somewhere and that's why Onlinedegree.com has partnered with 4 colleges/universities before they actually "started" the service. If I recall correctly, Study.com didn't have an option to directly send things to TESU or Excelsior, they had to have people send requests through Excelsior for that $40 fee Excelsior College charges. And this is the post from last week: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • badooble
Study.com originally had the normal ACE transcript (and still does for ACE -- though TESU doesn't want to use that). When they first got their NCCRS recommendations, they initially had their own transcripts for that. Then they moved to the dumb Excelsior transcript that EC is apparently convincing providers to used, but have backed away from it some when they realized literally no school will accept that other than EC.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-07-2018, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: And, I think using EC to send transcripts to schools so that it looks like you took credits there instead of some other provider is the definition of credit laundering.

This is interesting.  I wonder, do the credit bank transcripts from EC reflect the credits as having been earned at EC?  If so, I think that is strange considering that my Excelsior Transcript reflects the ACE/NCCRS vendor (straighterline, Davar...) as the credit source for each course I took outside of EC.  I wish I had had the option of having them listed as simply ACE or NCCRS.

(08-08-2018, 08:25 AM)Kima Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: And, I think using EC to send transcripts to schools so that it looks like you took credits there instead of some other provider is the definition of credit laundering.

This is interesting.  I wonder, do the credit bank transcripts from EC reflect the credits as having been earned at EC?  If so, I think that is strange considering that my Excelsior Transcript reflects the ACE/NCCRS vendor (straighterline, Davar...) as the credit source for each course I took outside of EC.  I wish I had had the option of having them listed as simply ACE or NCCRS.

After I wrote this I remembered that I ordered a credit bank transcript from EC for my daughter in 2012.  I just reviewed it and it does show each credit source clearly on the transcript exactly as my EC transcript does.  

So don't opt for the EC credit bank option if you're doing so to avoid having the credit source reflected.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kima's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(08-07-2018, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: OMG, why won't my posts work??? Please delete my nothing post.

So, I've come to the point where I won't recommend anyone take NCCRS courses from providers who won't send the transcript directly. This is a problem at TESU for sure, and probably others who would take NCCRS but won't take credits laundered through EC.

And, I think using EC to send transcripts to schools so that it looks like you took credits there instead of some other provider is the definition of credit laundering.

I think people here are thinkers and resourceful, so it makes sense that people turn this puzzle piece every-which-direction to make it fit.

The bottom line is that the school you graduate from is the decider of the credit- so if you're planning on graduating from ABC University, it is pointless to first send anything anywhere- it needs to go to ABC University. The credit transfer policy of XYZ University is never part of the picture- even if and even when you made a pit stop at XYZ University long enough to pick up a transcript (or credit bank transcript).

I've watched the youtube video, and it needs to be redone. The suggestion that because credit appears on an Excelsior transcript in some way suggests acceptance by a future school is misleading almost to the point of fraud. Funny, because non-college course providers and even other colleges all go out of their way to let you know that the acceptance of their credits at another institution is up to that institution. These guys, even if they believe it, are miscommunicating how credit transfer works. So, they're either confused or liars - I'm going with confused. The credit laundering "idea" is one that gets passed around like crazy, and it's probably even the first question I asked when I landed myself here on day 1. I get it- it's a wonderful idea, but it's a myth.

That Excelsior puts a credit of any kind onto an official transcript amounts to zero if you're going somewhere else for your degree. Now, if you graduate from EC, then you're golden. That credit is now part of a Regionally Accredited degree, and you've hit a home run. Prior to conferral, it's nothing more than NCCRS credit plain and simple.
(08-08-2018, 01:35 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: OMG, why won't my posts work???  Please delete my nothing post.

So, I've come to the point where I won't recommend anyone take NCCRS courses from providers who won't send the transcript directly.  This is a problem at TESU for sure, and probably others who would take NCCRS but won't take credits laundered through EC.

I think people here are thinkers and resourceful, so it makes sense that people turn this puzzle piece every-which-direction to make it fit.

The bottom line is that the school you graduate from is the decider of the credit- so if you're planning on graduating from ABC University, it is pointless to first send anything anywhere- it needs to go to ABC University.  The credit transfer policy of XYZ University is never part of the picture- even if and even when you made a pit stop at XYZ University long enough to pick up a transcript (or credit bank transcript).  

I've watched the youtube video, and it needs to be redone.  The suggestion that because credit appears on an Excelsior transcript in some way suggests acceptance by a future school is misleading almost to the point of fraud.  Funny, because non-college course providers and even other colleges all go out of their way to let you know that the acceptance of their credits at another institution is up to that institution.  These guys, even if they believe it, are miscommunicating how credit transfer works.  So, they're either confused or liars - I'm going with confused.  The credit laundering "idea" is one that gets passed around like crazy, and it's probably even the first question I asked when I landed myself here on day 1.  I get it- it's a wonderful idea, but it's a myth.

That Excelsior puts a credit of any kind onto an official transcript amounts to zero if you're going somewhere else for your degree.  Now, if you graduate from EC, then you're golden.  That credit is now part of a Regionally Accredited degree, and you've hit a home run.  Prior to conferral, it's nothing more than NCCRS credit plain and simple.
I agree, which is why I brought it back up. I don't really care what anyone says... it's credit laundering (and like you said, I don't think any reputable school will even allow folks to "launder" credit.)
I'm a registered nurse now, BUT back when I started nursing school I had credits from all over, and let me tell you... THEY REALLY COMB THROUGH THE CREDITS to make sure they're legit and what they want. It's important to clear everything with your main university. What happened in the past with study.com, or any other credit provider, is not an accurate means of verifying if your main school will take the credit.

If someone wants to be a guinea pig, god bless them. I personally think it's a waste of time and borderlines on a scam. And like I said before, it probably great for EC students, but for now, not much else.
I have a couple of questions:

I now have a TESU degree, but I am no longer an active student there.

Can I pay for an individual learning account (credit bank) even though I graduated from TESU?

If I do pay for the credit bank, do the credits appear on the same transcript as the credits I earned during the degree and do they look the same as or different from the credits earned during the degree?
(08-08-2018, 07:17 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 01:35 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: OMG, why won't my posts work???  Please delete my nothing post.

So, I've come to the point where I won't recommend anyone take NCCRS courses from providers who won't send the transcript directly.  This is a problem at TESU for sure, and probably others who would take NCCRS but won't take credits laundered through EC.

The bottom line is that the school you graduate from is the decider of the credit- so if you're planning on graduating from ABC University, it is pointless to first send anything anywhere- it needs to go to ABC University.  The credit transfer policy of XYZ University is never part of the picture- even if and even when you made a pit stop at XYZ University long enough to pick up a transcript (or credit bank transcript).  

I've watched the youtube video, and it needs to be redone.  The suggestion that because credit appears on an Excelsior transcript in some way suggests acceptance by a future school is misleading almost to the point of fraud.  Funny, because non-college course providers and even other colleges all go out of their way to let you know that the acceptance of their credits at another institution is up to that institution.  These guys, even if they believe it, are miscommunicating how credit transfer works.  So, they're either confused or liars - I'm going with confused.  The credit laundering "idea" is one that gets passed around like crazy, and it's probably even the first question I asked when I landed myself here on day 1.  I get it- it's a wonderful idea, but it's a myth.

That Excelsior puts a credit of any kind onto an official transcript amounts to zero if you're going somewhere else for your degree.  Now, if you graduate from EC, then you're golden.  That credit is now part of a Regionally Accredited degree, and you've hit a home run.  Prior to conferral, it's nothing more than NCCRS credit plain and simple.
I agree, which is why I brought it back up. I don't really care what anyone says... it's credit laundering (and like you said, I don't think any reputable school will even allow folks to "launder" credit.)
I'm a registered nurse now, BUT back when I started nursing school I had credits from all over, and let me tell you... THEY REALLY COMB THROUGH THE CREDITS to make sure they're legit and what they want. It's important to clear everything with your main university. What happened in the past with study.com, or any other credit provider, is not an accurate means of verifying if your main school will take the credit.

If someone wants to be a guinea pig, god bless them. I personally think it's a waste of time and borderlines on a scam. And like I said before, it probably great for EC students, but for now, not much else.

It's not a scam, it's a misunderstanding of how credit transfer works. Online degree MAY be intentionally or accidentally wrong, but what matters is that the STUDENT understand what they're doing and focus on that. Ultimately, each of us is responsible for understanding the process for ourselves.

But either way- there is *one* way to launder credits, but it isn't applicable to this discussion. It only works when you go in through a 2 year college and transfer to a 4 year college with a written articulation agreement that promises full and complete gen ed transfer. 4 year colleges never articulate down to a two year program unless your state has a reverse transfer agreement, and again, neither is applicable to what's going on here.
This site does not seem to care if you have multiple classes open at once, so it is possible to open three, four, whatever browser windows with each window playing a video.  Then just check back to see if the video is done and click to the next one.  This is obviously for people using the site as a test-out option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-18-2018, 10:05 AM)eriehiker Wrote: This site does not seem to care if you have multiple classes open at once, so it is possible to open three, four, whatever browser windows with each window playing a video.  Then just check back to see if the video is done and click to the next one.  This is obviously for people using the site as a test-out option.

good to know!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 360 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,417 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 650 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,537 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 935 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 1,025 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 961 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,296 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  onlinedegree.com ?? TINASAM 4 995 03-03-2021, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  onlinedegree.com Cosmology carebear_007 2 803 02-18-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: carebear_007