Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over 250 quarter units and NO DEGREE
(01-06-2018, 05:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
fingerscrossedx2 Wrote:Thanks! I applied to TESU last night and as my name suggestions, I have my fingers crossed.  I ordered all transcripts and many of the UCs send them electronically which I hope will speed things up a bit.

Did you apply anywhere else?  You should wait for an evaluation and then post it here so we can review it.  Suggestions below.
BTW, you mentioned POST training, did you get certificates or anything from them? You can PLA some credit if you have work/life experience as well for a BACJ degree.

TESU will require at least 18 UL credits and from what I see, none of your courses is upper level.  I highly suggest the BALS at this point to use all of your credits and finish it off with Shmoop for a month at $88. If your courses can transfer in properly, your general education/electives should have been met.  

Basically, you just need UL 5 courses from Shmoop and the capstone to finish off your BALS English Lit Concentration degree.  I think you should also complete the Associates in CJ since you're almost there, and/or an Associates in NSM Biology, you may require just another Biology course.

In regards to the POST courses, I have completed the following:
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (40 hours) 
Crime Prevention through Environmental Design Advanced (24 hours) - Earned National Certification through the National Institute of Crime Prevention

I have also completed Crime Prevention Basics (40 hours)
https://post.ca.gov/Default.aspx

There are a few others that I will confirm with our training coordinator on Monday.

(01-06-2018, 06:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Assuming the 4 courses from UC Riverside Extension and UC Irvine Extension are valid (meaning college credit), you have 14 units UL right there (but I'm not certain if they're semester-units or quarter-units).  I also know that the UC system schools don't always number UL and LL courses the same as other schools (100/200 for LL, and 300/400 for UL).  So there's no way for us here to be able to determine what TESU will give for those courses.  With 196 quarter units at UCSB alone, I'm almost positive tons of those will be UL credits.  They wouldn't let you just rack up a bunch of LL credit like that.

You should definitely look at the BALS without a concentration if it makes a difference (BALS with concentration may add too many credits to your plan).  If you just need ANY degree, why would you make it more difficult to get one if you didn't have to?

I can do a plan for you later, but it's really hard to tell what's going on.  So, I think that you should wait for an eval to come through, and look at the BALS and see if you think you have everything you need in the Gen Eds.  Like, did you take English Comp I & II?  Do you have an ethics course?  How about Am Govt?  Math?  Fill in the spreadsheet with what you've done, and look at where you think you might be.  Then, take anything you need, transfer it to TESU, and get going.

Also, register for February's capstone course while you're waiting.  No matter what you end up with - BALS with or without a concentration - you'll need that capstone.

That spreadsheet is great. I am working on it now!! I definitely do not need to make anything harder or more costly than it has to be. Sounds horrible, but I am looking for the easiest way to reach my goal. I fully intend to continue learning and complete the California DOJ Certificate Program so I'm not particularly lazy, but the job opening is what is pushing my timeframe. All I can do is shoot for it and hope for the best!
You should apply to all three of the Big 3.  They will all come out different.  Take the best deal.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-06-2018, 06:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: You should apply to all three of the Big 3.  They will all come out different.  Take the best deal.

And by "best deal" that usually means the ease of completing what remains - not necessarily what has already been filled. They are different things, and looking at what is incomplete is the fastest way to get this done.

Also, not that it matters entirely, but Dfrecore is a degree planning ninja for those who want a TESU degree- if you want the best help, she can do that for you. There are fewer pursuing degrees at COSC and EC here, so it will require a little more muddling through on your part. The only reason I bring this up is because time is of the essence.
(01-07-2018, 08:16 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 06:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: You should apply to all three of the Big 3.  They will all come out different.  Take the best deal.

And by "best deal" that usually means the ease of completing what remains - not necessarily what has already been filled.  They are different things, and looking at what is incomplete is the fastest way to get this done.  

Also, not that it matters entirely, but Dfrecore is a degree planning ninja for those who want a TESU degree- if you want the best help, she can do that for you.  There are fewer pursuing degrees at COSC and EC here, so it will require a little more muddling through on your part.  The only reason I bring this up is because time is of the essence.

Thanks Jennifer!

I agree with your assessment of "best deal" is.  Get all the evals, and compare what is remaining in terms of credits, and how much it's going to cost to finish.  For example, if EC showed 111cr completed, but you're going to need 3 $1500 courses to graduate, that is NOT better than TESU showing that you have 102cr completed, but 5 of those courses can be completed for $100 or less, and the capstone for $1100.  This is just an example, but I think you get the idea.

I can really only help with TESU, but there are others here who can help with COSC and EC, and we're all happy to get you graduated ASAP!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The capstone in the February term is no issue for June graduation as long as you're able to stay on schedule with the class. It's going to hinge on UL credits, but I think you're going to be a graduate in June.

Note that the study.com discount is too good to pass up so go ahead and sign up there now so you get the discount on the capstone and see if you can finish at least one course there before you actually start the capstone.

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/Gr...mation.cfm
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-07-2018, 10:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 06:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: You should apply to all three of the Big 3.  They will all come out different.  Take the best deal.

And by "best deal" that usually means the ease of completing what remains - not necessarily what has already been filled.  They are different things, and looking at what is incomplete is the fastest way to get this done.  

Also, not that it matters entirely, but Dfrecore is a degree planning ninja for those who want a TESU degree- if you want the best help, she can do that for you.  There are fewer pursuing degrees at COSC and EC here, so it will require a little more muddling through on your part.  The only reason I bring this up is because time is of the essence.

Thanks Jennifer!

I agree with your assessment of "best deal" is.  Get all the evals, and compare what is remaining in terms of credits, and how much it's going to cost to finish.  For example, if EC showed 111cr completed, but you're going to need 3 $1500 courses to graduate, that is NOT better than TESU showing that you have 102cr completed, but 5 of those courses can be completed for $100 or less, and the capstone for $1100.  This is just an example, but I think you get the idea.

I can really only help with TESU, but there are others here who can help with COSC and EC, and we're all happy to get you graduated ASAP!

If money is the only thing then maybe!  In 2017, TESU told me 93 credits done and Excelsior College said 116 credits done.  I care about TIME not money.  I would have spent more money on 4 credits than 27 any day if they BOTH completed the degree.  My time is more valuable at my age than money in many ways.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-07-2018, 10:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: If money is the only thing then maybe!  In 2017, TESU told me 93 credits done and Excelsior College said 116 credits done.  I care about TIME not money.  I would have spent more money on 4 credits than 27 any day if they BOTH completed the degree.  My time is more valuable at my age than money in many ways.

In general 5 courses that can be done for $100 each are going to be FAST!  Whereas 3 $1500 courses are going to be online courses that will take somewhere around 3 months apiece.  So even in this instance, time AND money is going to be less.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-07-2018, 10:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 10:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks Jennifer!

If money is the only thing then maybe!  In 2017, TESU told me 93 credits done and Excelsior College said 116 credits done.  I care about TIME not money.  I would have spent more money on 4 credits than 27 any day if they BOTH completed the degree.  My time is more valuable at my age than money in many ways.

I agree- my comments were about time, not money.
(01-08-2018, 01:20 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 10:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: If money is the only thing then maybe!  In 2017, TESU told me 93 credits done and Excelsior College said 116 credits done.  I care about TIME not money.  I would have spent more money on 4 credits than 27 any day if they BOTH completed the degree.  My time is more valuable at my age than money in many ways.

In general 5 courses that can be done for $100 each are going to be FAST!  Whereas 3 $1500 courses are going to be online courses that will take somewhere around 3 months apiece.  So even in this instance, time AND money is going to be less.

In many degree fields finding cheap exams is not even available.  That is the case in the HSEM degrees and many other specific or technical degrees.  

Folks should apply to all three of the Big 3 as only the official college will confirm how much is left and then they can try to figure out shortcuts, faster, cheaper, and or direct routes.  There are many factors to what is "best" and money is just one limited factor.    Exams/tests often limit your degree choices.

(01-08-2018, 01:20 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

In many degree fields finding cheap exams is not even available.  That is the case in the HSEM degrees and many other specific or technical degrees.  

Folks should apply to all three of the Big 3 as only the official college will confirm how much is left and then they can try to figure out shortcuts, faster, cheaper, and or direct routes.  There are many factors to what is "best" and money is just one limited factor.    Exams/tests often limit your degree choices.

(01-08-2018, 02:09 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: In many degree fields finding cheap exams is not even available.  That is the case in the HSEM degrees and many other specific or technical degrees.  

I think we're in agreement here.  That's why I agreed with Jennifer that finding out what's REMAINING to take from each degree is critical.  Because once you know what you need to take for each school, you can then plot out degree plans for each school for those courses, and see what your best option is.  Because a school where you have only a few courses to take, but they're expensive and/or more time consuming, is not always the best choice.  You need to know what you need to take, how much those courses are going to take, your options for taking them, and how long that would take.  Only when you have the full picture can you make a good informed decision on which degree to get.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,204 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,871 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,008 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,686 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero